1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Daredevil on Netflix

Discussion in 'TC Media' started by Officer Doofy, Apr 9, 2015.

Discuss Daredevil on Netflix in the TC Media area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Moustache

Just seen the trailer there and it looks great. The first season was good, but this looks like it's going to be on a whole other level.

Marvel and Netflix deserve a lot of praise for the shows they've been putting out lately. It would've been easy just to throw something together, with a few Marvel references for good measure, which still probably would've done reasonably well. Instead they really went all out with making quality programs that can stand on their own two feet without the cruch of the MCU. Hopefully they keep this up their future shows.

2. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

Anyone started season 2?

Watched the first 4 episodes and I have to say, it's even better than season 1. Jon Bernthal is every bit as good as I hoped he'd be as the Punisher.

3. Moustache

I've watched the first three episodes, and I've been enjoying it so far(Episode 3 being one of the best episodes from both seasons).

Jon Bernthal is great, and the real standout for me. I know it's been rumoured already, but I can definitely see him getting his own spin-off show at some point in the future. I'm still not too keen on the guy that plays Foggy, but he's a bit better than he was last season.

Hopefully the rest of the episodes are as good as the first three.

4. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

Episode 4 is comfortably better than the first 3. It's phenomenal.

I really hope he gets a spin-off show. I'd love to see flashbacks, show us his previous life. Yeah Foggy is very hit and miss. I know that the show can't just be Daredevil/Punisher violence every minute, but the scenes with Foggy, Karen and Matt sometimes make me long for the action to start again. All the cute flirty stuff is getting tiresome.

From what I read, the second half of the season is better than the first so this really could be outstanding.

5. TESLA Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Vernon Dursley.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields Of Athenry.
    I watched 11 episodes yesterday ha this punisher is one I've never seen before, shows his human side a bit more but he's every bit as merciless and extreme as he should be, I love it

6. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

Finished it just there. I prefer it to season 1, although the lack of a compelling villain(s) was unfortunate.

The supporting cast this season was much better. Karen was much improved, Ellison was great and a complete contrast to his season 1 character and of course the Punisher and Elektra. Foggy was fine but he kind of got short changed this season.

The main reason I was excited for this season was the Punisher. And *, he was great. The first 4 episodes were quite Punisher-heavy and for me they are the best episodes. The rest of the season is still good and he is in nearly every episode (maybe even all of them) but it never quite reaches the heights of the first third of the season - and in particular episode 4 which is the best episode of the show to date.

Other than the fact she is a love interest of Daredevil, I didn't know much about Elektra. She was pretty good in the show but I was never really invested in her character. Which sucks because she's a huge part of the show from episode 5 onwards.

If a Punisher spin-off show isn't in the works I'm rioting.

7. Moustache

Finished this last night and I'd say I enjoyed it overall. The highs are higher than those of the first season, but it's far less consistent. At times it felt like I was watching three different miniseries back to back (Daredevil vs Punisher, Daredevil & Elektra, Daredevil and Elektra vs
    The Hand
    ) rather than one consistent season. Episodes 3 & 4 were top class and 10 was great as well.

Jon Bernthal was great and probably the best thing about the series, I can't imagine anyone doing a good a job as he did. There's always a risk when the Punisher shows up that he'll be written as some sort of try-hard, edgy character, but they thankfully avoided that. Based on the praise he's been getting for this season, I fully expect him to get some sort of spinoff in the future.

Elodie Yung was pretty decent as Elektra as well. I was actually surprised that she written as a 'fun' character, since the trailers seemed to suggest otherwise. I didn't enjoy her storyline anywhere near as much as I did the Punisher stuff, but she was probably one of the better parts.

I'm still so-so on the other two supporting characters. Foggy was slightly better than he was last season, but the actor still comes across as a guy trying really hard to act well, but not being good enough to actually do it. Karen was fine for the most part, but I didn't like that the writers seemingly wanted to involve her in every single thing that happened (the same goes for that one detective).

The rest of what I have to say is spoiler-ish:

• The fallout of Karen seeing Elektra in Matt's bed is, without a doubt, the single most stupid thing I've seen in any of these Netflix shows. Putting the fact that it's cheap drama to the side for a moment, she seemingly never acknowledges Stick was there. It just seems strange that she was so caught up in there being a woman in Matt's bed, when there's an old blind man walking around his apartment eating an apple. I mean, are we just to assume that Karen thinks Matt is into to some weird *? It was strange that it was never addressed

• I was glad Vincent D'onofrio showed up again. I didn't expect anything more than a cameo in all honesty, but episode 10 was probably one of the best episode's this season. The Kingpin reference was a nice little nod, and the meeting scene in 11 sets up some interesting plot points for a future series (I think Season 3 will probably be about Kingpin & Bullseye in all likelihood).

• That fight scene in the prison was absolutely brutal, I genuinely cringed when he stabbed that guy in the balls. There were definitely times when I was watching this season where I really couldn't believe that it's supposed to be set in the same world as the movies, but it's good that Marvel are letting them do what they want to do.

• The whole Hand storyline was rather dull in all honesty, and the resolution was rather poor. I'm expecting The Hand and a resurrected Elektra to be the antagonists for the Defenders series, but I honestly wouldn't care if we never heard anything about them again. On a side note, the ginger woman who appeared at the end seemed a bit random

• The ending for the Punisher's storyline was aa bit of a damp squib as well. It was all a bit too coincidental, but I can see what they were going for

• Speaking of Elektra, it was weird that they decided to kill her this series, and to have a bit of a * character like Nobu do it. I thought they would have stuck with her being killed by Bullseye, but the writers obviously wanted to put their own spin on it

• I thought the fight on the roof was poorly done in all honesty. The Punishers cameo felt really tacked on. I mean what was the point in showing up to shoot like two or three ninjas, then disappearing again. I'm guessing they wanted to show the skull and trench coat look, but a little scene like the Elektra in the chamber one would have sufficed. Stick was another one who popped up for a random/somewhat needless scene as well.

• I don't think we'll be seeing a Season 3 before 2018, if Netfix stick to the current schedule. The ending to this season felt like they were trying to move some of the supporting characters, well Karen and Foggy at least, in to a position where they can appear in the other shows. I suppose that might be their way of keeping the Daredevil cast visible without needing to do another seasonbefore the Defenders team-up

• It was nice to see a few references to Jessica Jones, which helps to make the shows feel a bit more connected

• Apparently the French assassin who tried to kill Elektra is a reference to a character who helps Moon Knight, who's been tipped for his own show in the future. It'll be interesting to see if it amounts to anything

8. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

@Moustache

About the Punisher...
    I agree that the resolution to his story was a bit of a damp squib. First of all, it just felt very convenient that his old commanding officer was The Blacksmith...and we never found out why he wanted Castle dead.

Then the final episode, as cool as it was seeing Frank turn up to help out Daredevil, with the skull on his vest and all, it just seemed a bit underwhelming. It looked like there was easy 50 ninjas turning up at the hospital and I was expecting the Punisher to show up with his minigun and shred them to pieces. But it turned out to be about a dozen ninjas and all he did was kill 3 of them I think.

Could have been a lot cooler.

9. Moustache

The whole Blacksmith plot was a bit haphazard. At first I thought it was going to tie in with the Hand stuff, although I'm glad it didn't in all honesty, but it just seems like it was all thrown together last minute. Apparently it's at least somewhat true the comics, minus the part about him being responsible for the Punishers family being killed, but like the love triangle it felt like cheap drama.

I'm still not sure if he even meant for Frank and his family to be killed. I get that he was annoyed that Frank rejected him, but I couldn't tell if it was just a massive coincidence that the Castle family were there that day or if it was set up, and if so how? The fact he even rejected involvement in a drug smuggling business seemed like a complete last minute inclusion in the story, seeing as it's never alluded to elsewhere. I honestly would have preferred there not to have been some big conspiracy about his family's murder. Getting caught in the middle of a random gang fight would've been simple and effective.

That was exactly my problem with his inclusion in the final fight as well. Showing up and sniping three random ninjas wasn't really all that helpful. I wish they would've committed one way or the other. Either have him fully involved in the scene, or don't have him it all. A sort of post credits scene with him decked out in the skull vest killing some gang member(s) would've been better than what we got.

10. Artorias

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Had no interest in this show until I saw The Punisher trailers. Judging by the comments in here its a good show on it's own, will have to give it a watch.

11. Priest

A Punisher series has been ordered by Netflix :50:

12. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

Just saw that, delighted! By far the best thing about DD season 2.

13. Highland_Bhoy Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Ever Henrik Larsson, now Scott Sinclair
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    On season 2 episode 2. Punisher was brilliant in episode 1.

14. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

Watched season 2 again not long ago and I still really liked it but no as much as the first watch. Mainly because of Karen.

* hate her.

15. Highland_Bhoy Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Ever Henrik Larsson, now Scott Sinclair
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    First 5 episodes of season 2, outstanding.

16. D'Ecosse

I'm about 8 into series one and it just really starts to get hold of you as it progresses.

I actually think D'Onfrio sucks - incredibly wooden, one of the characters I think they could have selected better - other than his appearance, which is 'right', I think the portrayal is lame.

But hasn't stopped my enjoyment.
    I thought Scott Glenn as Stick was absolutely brilliant - probably best actor in the whole show, but agree * is doing stellar job.

17. TESLA Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Vernon Dursley.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields Of Athenry.
    Yet again they've made absolutely stunnin television.

Watched 12 episodes yesterday and was so hard to resist watching the finale but I want to do right, feet up, cup of tea etc.

Daredevil, JJ and The Punisher I honestly cant choose which one is best they're all that great.

18. celtic warrior

Dunno why, but loved the first season, enjoyed first season of Jessica Jones but after that I feel like it went off a cliff.

Never got round to finishing second season of Daredevil and never really touched any of the other shows after.

19. Jo-Jo-Buffon

Fav Celtic Player:
    Boruc
    Fav Celtic Song:
    walk alone on a champs league night
    Trying to pace myself through this only finished ep 3 on the new series , * hard , don't want to fly through it and it to be done

Imo it's , Daredevil , then Punisher , JJ , luke cage then iron fist

20. honda Gold Member Gold Member

Got irn bru fist full sugar 2 to finish watching then I'll move into this. There's so many it's hard to keep up :56: