1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

World Mental Health Day is today

Discussion in 'TalkCeltic Pub' started by Callum McGregor, Oct 10, 2018.

Discuss World Mental Health Day is today in the TalkCeltic Pub area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    http://www.who.int/mental_health/world-mental-health-day/2018/en/

https://www.forbes.com/sites/daniel...uld-pay-attention-to-world-mental-health-day/

If you’ve ever heard the term ‘mental health’ and thought this isn’t for me, you may just want to keep reading.

While the language around mental health and mental illness has existed for decades, the conversation itself has become far more open and relevant to all (and rightly so). Mind, the UK’s leading mental health charity summarises it concisely by saying mental health can affect anyone any day of the year”.

While there is a World ‘Day’ for almost everything, today – World Mental Health Day – feels particularly significant and worthy of attention.

• Mental health problems are one of the main causes of disease burden worldwide.
    • In the UK approximately one in four people will experience a mental health problem each year.
    • And one in six report experiencing one of the most common problems, such as anxiety and depression, in any given week.
    Days like today at the very least, bring global attention to an important conversation and provide an opportunity for people to share and speak up more publicly about their own experiences.

In our increasingly online and social media-filled world, the necessity for people to hear the raw truth of what is really going on has become somewhat of a lifeline. Humans need to create meaning around their experiences to make sense of their lives and stories enable us to do so.

I think there’s a misnomer we’ve created in our own minds that to ‘deserve’ support you must be really depressed. Or that ‘mental health’ must only be for those clinically ill or suffering really badly.

When we are able to experience others’ vulnerability, when their ‘masks’ are removed, we get to feel far more connected too. The shame we might hold around what we’re really experiencing gets exposed. And as Brene Brown, a global researcher on shame and fear says, shame can’t survive being spoken about.

Plus when others share that ultimately, behind the scenes there are both up and down days, it reiterates that we really are all simply human. Doing the best we can.

Marie, packybhoy, Sean Daleer and 6 others like this.
  2. Drakhan Nac Mac Feegle Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jimmy McGrory
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Thanks for putting this up.
    The more this stigma is talked about the better for everyone.

Marie and packybhoy like this.
  3. Aidan O’Shea

I’ve weirdly never felt any shame around expressing any mental health problems I’ve had.

HoopSprings, Marie and packybhoy like this.
  4. oneilla56

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tierney
    I didn't either ... until I tried telling my parents.

Marie and TimFloyd like this.
  5. Aidan O’Shea

I just refuse to tell them as it would worry them. Tell my siblings and some pals, though.

Marie likes this.
  6. oneilla56

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tierney
    My parents didn't give a *. In fact, my dad wondered what would make me actually commit suicide.

7. Aidan O’Shea

* sake, man, I’m sorry :(

8. oneilla56

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tierney
    Thanks. Living at home was a nightmare, though. Glad that's all in the past.

Aidan O’Shea likes this.
  9. Aidan O’Shea

Onwards and upwards.

oneilla56 likes this.
  10. smokie899

Fav Celtic Player:
    s.brown
    I'm the only one in my immediate family who has not spent time in a mental health hospital. But have wanted to die and have tried to die from the age of about 10 lol

packybhoy likes this.
  11. CheGuevara

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    #voteforgaza

Marie and packybhoy like this.
  12. packybhoy Administrator Administrator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    Yeah lot of serious mental health issues in Palestine and especially amongst young men from 15-25. Feelings of hopelessness and isolation is high among most of the population.

CheGuevara and Marie like this.
  13. packybhoy Administrator Administrator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    I have spoken honestly at times on my struggles with mental health. Depression and anxiety brought on by pressure at work. Enough to keep me from going back for nearly two years even with a few offers. Took me so long to get back to a reasonable standard. I have no stigma with it and I am open enough to speak publicly about it if only to ease the pressure on other people to accept that it is an illness and not a weakness. What I have learned from it is I have become a far stronger minded person for it. I’ll speak the truth at any cost and don’t stand back and be involved in any * stirring. I’m here for my family, wife and kids who have been with me and living the nightmare also. It affects the whole home not just the person and it has made me more aware of what makes it happen and the signs of it coming on. But the best thing is to be quiet frank and honest about it because it is the best way to defeat it. Hearing yourself speak about it gives you the courage to get through another day. Even if it’s only on here.

Marie likes this.
  14. Marie Bookmaker

Fav Celtic Player:
    Them all!!!
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Offt that's awful, jeez!!:102:

15. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    Used to find it hard mentioning/talking about it..

Took me year's until the missus practically dragged me to the doctor's about it and it all flooded out..