1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Jock Stein - 33 years ago tonight the Great One passed

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Drakhan, Sep 10, 2018.

Discuss Jock Stein - 33 years ago tonight the Great One passed in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Drakhan Nac Mac Feegle Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jimmy McGrory
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    10/09/1985 is the date Big Jock passed away.
    What are your memories.
    One thing. I hope Scotland wear black armbands in respect tonight against Albania.

2. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

IT was 33 years ago today, on September 10, 1985, that Jock Stein died, and the world of football mourned the loss of one of its greatest figures.

Celtic fans had long had a special affinity with Stein, first as a player in the 1950s who had helped to deliver the Coronation Cup and the Double of 1953/54, and then as the manager who ushered in a golden era for Celtic, both domestically and in Europe where, in 1967, they became the continent’s best team.

Celtic’s legendary captain, Billy McNeill, said of his manager: “Lisbon wouldn’t have been possible without him. Had Jock Stein not come to Celtic at that time, the club would just have lumbered on. We might have won the Scottish Cup in 1965 - that may have been our year for winning the cup under Jimmy McGrory - but Jock brought the different approach to everything that consolidated it for us.

“I can honestly say that we might have won the Scottish Cup back then but what certainly would not have happened was the sheer volume of trophies and success that came after that – and that is down to the Big Man. For me, the modern-day Celtic owes one * of a debt to Big Jock for what he did.”

Today, on this poignant anniversary, we remember our legendary manager and all he achieved for the club.

HE was born John Stein on October 5, 1922, but would become known throughout the world as Jock, and acknowledged as the finest manager Scotland has ever produced.

It was Celtic’s good fortune that he forged his reputation in the East End of Glasgow, and it’s difficult to imagine how the club would have developed, or not, without the arrival of Stein in 1965.

By then he had already established himself as a manager of considerable promise, having guided Dunfermline Athletic to a Scottish Cup triumph in 1961, when they beat Celtic, before moving to Hibernian.

But it was at Celtic Park that he truly made his reputation while, in turn, helping to make the modern-day Celtic.

He was born in 1922 in Earnock amid the surrounding coalfields of Lanarkshire and, as was the way, he was almost immediately earmarked as part of yet more future fodder for the unwelcoming mines that criss-crossed the bleak landscape.

He grew to serve his time as a young boy down the pits and those years helped mould the man he would become, but there was something that made him stand out slightly from the rest of the miners who hacked away at the coal seams.

He was skillful with a football – not overly so, he wouldn’t be the greatest footballer the pit-fields of Lanarkshire ever produced, but he would certainly become the greatest ever manager to emerge from that environment.

He had a rather plain, even mundane, playing career – at one point swapping the minefields of Lanarkshire and the majesty of Albion Rovers for the minefields of Wales and the splendour of Llanelli.

That is, it was mundane until Celtic assistant trainer Jimmy Gribben, on the lookout for a mature player to help bring on the reserves, remembered ‘something’ about this cumbersome centre-half. He signed for Celtic in 1951, basically as fourth-choice centre-half and fate intervened when Jock Stein suddenly found himself in the first team.

Not only did he keep his place but Lady Luck smiled on Celtic again when Sean Fallon suggested Stein be made captain – and so the mould was set.

Silverware followed in the shape of the Coronation Cup in 1953 and the league and Scottish Cup Double the following year but fortune blew through Celtic Park once more when Stein picked up an ankle injury.

That injury arrived on August 31, 1955 – just four days later on September 4, the very first European Cup game ever was played when the green and white hooped Sporting Lisbon took on Partizan Belgrade at the Estadio Nacional in Lisbon. You just couldn’t make this stuff up.

Return from the ankle injury proved impossible and he turned to coaching the reserves – and this was true ‘coaching’, not mere training.

He persuaded the club to purchase the Barrowfield training ground and set about coaching the youngsters – many of whom who would come to fruition 10 years later in Lisbon.

The restraints of reserve football couldn’t hold him though. He took up the hot-seat at Dunfermline, with whom he beat Celtic in the Scottish Cup final in 1961, and then Hibernian before the call came from Celtic Park once more in 1965.

What followed would have been deemed ‘Fantasy Football’ by the long-suffering Celtic support who faithfully stood by the men on the field during the barren years…

No fewer than TEN championships, nine of them all in a row, eight Scottish Cups and six League Cups but perhaps the most significant facet of Stein’s Celtic was that they were feared throughout the length and breadth of Europe.

That was marked by the pinnacle of all that success when the Celts beat Inter Milan 2-1 in the European Cup final of May 25, 1967 in Lisbon.

The success was as astonishing as it was unexpected and still stands as the greatest period in the club’s history.

There are three definitive eras in Celtic’s history – the success-strewn decades of the early days, the years of decline and the return to glory – if it weren’t for Jock Stein we could still very well be in the second phase and not knowing if we were ever going to get out of it.

Stein’s impact on Celtic is still being felt and it is right and fitting that a permanent memorial to Jock Stein should stand outside the front entrance of Celtic Park.

The statue, of Jock holding the ‘big cup’, also records the incredible success he enjoyed as Celtic manager, and will be a reminder to future generations of Celtic supporters of the greatest manager the club has ever had.

There have already been tributes to the Celtic greats. Now there is one to the man who made them great.

3. Drakhan Nac Mac Feegle Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jimmy McGrory
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
  4. ticketyboo0 Gold Member Gold Member

Was a sad sad day not only for Celtic , but football as a whole. A great man who will never be forgotten.

5. The Prof Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky
    R.I.P

:shamrock:

Rydo1888* likes this.
  6. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

Gone but never forgotten.

"John, you're immortal now!"

HTG likes this.
  7. packybhoy Administrator Administrator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    I remember being at a home match against Aberdeen not long after. Mrs Stein was guest of the club.(Kelly and Whites had a cheek) my da and me were about 5 or 6 rows in front of her. Everyone gave a rousing applause for Jock. Sheep and all. I remember thinking as an 11 year old, what will the opposing fans do. Think that may be the first time I witnessed a whole stadium pay respect. I know Johnny Doyle went before that but I can’t recall the stadium respect. RIP Mr Stein and thank you for making us the best team in Europe for a 8/9 year period. Hail hail boss.

8. packybhoy Administrator Administrator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    [​IMG]

“Ach, everybody knows Catholics don’t tell lies.” Jock Stein.

9. Drakhan Nac Mac Feegle Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jimmy McGrory
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    :56::56::56::56:

packybhoy likes this.
  10. Drakhan Nac Mac Feegle Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jimmy McGrory
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    If it wasn't for Big Jock i don't think Celtic would be in the position they are now.

auldbertie and packybhoy like this.
  11. auldbertie

Fav Celtic Player:
    bobby lennox
    Fav Celtic Song:
    celtic your favourites in green .... present day.. let the people sing
    He was asked . Jock, two players of equal ability one protestant , one Catholic , which one would you sign.
    The protestant every time .
    And why is that?
    Because I know the rangers will never sign the Catholic .

CLASS , R.I.P. BIG MAN

12. HTG "I have an uncle who does Yoga"

Fav Celtic Player:
    CCV
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the people sing
    One of the, if not the, greatest managers ever in British football. * bless you Jock Stein :shamrock:

13. FannyHaddock

The prototype football manger. RIP :shamrock:

auldbertie likes this.
  14. Marie Bookmaker

Fav Celtic Player:
    Them all!!!
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
  15. cidermaster Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    That Depeche Mode when we score!!
    Mega Legend,and my late Dad knew him well,gave him countless Horse Betting tips,very proud of that!

16. FannyHaddock

“Unlike many other Celts, I cannot claim that Celtic was my first love … but I can say that it will be my last love.”
    Jock Stein 1955

17. auldbertie

Fav Celtic Player:
    bobby lennox
    Fav Celtic Song:
    celtic your favourites in green .... present day.. let the people sing
    Come on , somebody post the picture from the tunnel .
    These shirts won't shrink to fit inferior players

ThatBhoyLarsson likes this.
  18. Drakhan Nac Mac Feegle Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jimmy McGrory
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
  19. Drakhan Nac Mac Feegle Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jimmy McGrory
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone