1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Lack of transfer movement!

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Martybhoy87, Jul 19, 2018.

Discuss Lack of transfer movement! in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Maximillian

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA,Willie Maley
    If we get through this tie thats us a minimum 6 match package with income not forgetting money we already have ,and who knows who we could draw some big teams still in the Europa we will need to sort defense out and get another quality midfielder to make a fist of it thats for sure.

2. TESLA Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Vernon Dursley.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields Of Athenry.
    Plenty time

3. oh bhoy

That the norm though spend half of what is made from player sales,it's a * joke and this * of looking for the perfect player .young guy with a lot of potential ,right attitude,who can be sold for ten times what is paid isn't gonna be available the vast majority of the time , it's good to try and seek them out but there are * knows how many players who could make our defence better

Dembele'sDa likes this.
  4. Gyp Rosetti Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Rogic
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic symphony
    * it bring back Tony Mowbray at least it was a laugh. :fear:

Sno'sLeftFoot likes this.
  5. oh bhoy

might not have the legs for it

6. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    :56:

Liam Scales likes this.
  7. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

Don't really get that argument re McKenna, we should always appraise a player's value and try not to go above that, again I don't share Brendan's view that he would be a 'quality' addition but I don't think even Brendan himself would advise paying whatever it takes to get him.

Personally I think there should've been a transfer budget of £10m + anything coming in from player sales in order to rejuvenate the squad and kick on. If he had £10 million at his disposal and knew where he stood I can't imagine McKenna would be his priority.

That said he has neglected the defence and his recruitment has not been good enough. I think had we played Gamboa at RB in both legs against AEK we may have scraped through...but maybe not. Had we spent £3m or so on a RB and the same on an experienced CB from Europe I think we'd have got through and would be on the brink of £40 million.

I think we're both in agreement to be honest but given Lawwell has been here before and failed to build from a position of strength he really should have been wise to the dangers of resting on our laurels again. It was so patently clear to everyone but the person that is tasked with getting the deals done and annoyingly he'll still collect a handsome bonus in the near future. All while us mugs continue to plough money into the club in the hope that our ambitions can be risen from being slightly better than a financially-ravaged tribute act (that's still outspending us in the transfer market) and an average Aberdeen team. It's sickening.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2018
    Xatraps and Gyp Rosetti like this.
  8. Keano88

Tony ‘take it on the chin’ Mowbray :boxing:

9. Gyp Rosetti Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Rogic
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic symphony
    Neither has David Murray. :84:

Dembele'sDa, Twisty, Keano88 and 2 others like this.
  10. dmac

The McKenna bid was never going to be accepted Aberdeen want to sell him to an English team in the hope they will get a big payday. There are players in European league's who would do a job sorting out our defence but are our scouts even looking there trying to get players from South of the border won't happen as the transfer fees are way overpriced just look at Derby spending £5m on Waghorn and you realise it's not somewhere you want to shop. Will we sig n a defender before the window closes I think maybe not and we will have to make do which isn't good enough

11. jake10

Fav Celtic Player:
    whoever is our new record spend
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Go on home british soldiers
    Although you're probably right as soon as I leave here I know I'll head to Celtic newsnow, just in case

12. kyndig

Fav Celtic Player:
    Nakamura
    Don't do it to yourself.

13. Tim-Time 1888 Always look on the bright side of Life Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Enrico Annoni
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Hail Hail

Of course we should appraise a players value and that is possibly part of the problem, who decides what the upper bid should be. Originally, with McGinn, I posted how we should stop * about and just pay the 3/4 million hibs wanted. As BR wanted him although as it turns out we could have offered 5 million and still not seen the player here it seems.

Given what we have offered in bids, so for, the guts of 10 million seems to be available (more if you count Edouard) This is the thing neither of us know how McKenna fitted into any list, you seem to view it as a panic buy/offer, I view it as someone BR wanted (rightly or wrongly he rates him) so as he wants quality he should have been backed more by Pete/board having said that I ain't raging we have not offered more.. ( I hope I/we don't regret that). We could well have spent 3 million on a RB and 4 million on a CB but do we actually know BR had stated he wanted that ? Up til just over a week ago booatta (* spelling it correctly :giggle1:) was BR star defender virtually.

Aye Pete has been, so I can see why you are blaming him, but I'm starting to wonder what has he actually been targeted with buying, in terms of player position as well. You say he should be wise to resting on our laurels, which I totally agree with, but should that mean it's him that has to say to the manager "hey we need * defenders here who can defend firstly". I can just imagine the outcry should it turn out that the new 6 foot 6 man mountain CB we get was bought by Pete just :giggle1: We all know the type of defender BR would ideally want but equally we all know they aint gonna be arriving here for a number of reasons.

14. jocksteinupper

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henke
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willy Maley
    roll on 8 days-

'' we really tried to bring in players but we know our supporters understand how hard it is for us to sell Scotland and the league to players sometimes. We know our supporters are the best in the world and nobody has tried harder than the Exec team, Brendan and Lee to bring in players from the start of the summer. We are supporters too and want a successful club like any other supporter but ask that you understand we are endeavoring at all times to bring this about........blah de * blah...."

Absoutely * insulting our intelligence and i call MAJOR BULLSHIT!!!

15. Blochairnbhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Sinclair
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Hi Peters PA x

jocksteinupper likes this.
  16. Martybhoy87

Called it before the McGinn SAGA.

Blochairnbhoy likes this.
  17. jocksteinupper

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henke
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willy Maley
    * unreal mate.......i suppose the longer that went on the more the writing was starting to appear. I just thought, for once, this time with a manager like this and what he has delivered that they might, just might, release those strings a bit!!

Martybhoy87 likes this.
  18. Martybhoy87

This team isn’t doing 8iar they can’t break teams down this mob are terrible and they can’t do * against them.

19. Murph-E

Free
    Free--£2.5mil--£700k--Academy
    £4.4mil--£4.5mil
    Academy-------Academy-------Academy
    £600k​

Our starting XI tonight. Nice to see the academy working, but that is a SHOCKING lack of investment in the team.

20. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member