1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

How to change UEFA Champions league for all not just the Elite

Discussion in 'World Football' started by Drakhan, Aug 17, 2018.

Discuss How to change UEFA Champions league for all not just the Elite in the World Football area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Drakhan Nac Mac Feegle Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jimmy McGrory
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Amid the usual complaints about how UEFA run European football for the Elite how would you change the set up of the CL and then EL.
    Currently the set up is 79 teams in CL and 213 in EL
    If keeping same set up of allocation to each group as now the set up should be

In order of ranking :
    The current CL holder then the 54 teams that have won their leagues leaving 24 places to go to their main Cup winners.
    If current holder has won their league again then another cup winners place is made available to the next ranked team which should be, i think, 26th ranked cup winning team.
    The remaining 28 or 29 cup winning teams are then ranked as top teams in EL with remaining allocations as follows:
    All remaining 183(4) teams are allocated in this way:
    54 =3rd cup winners (ie Scottish League Cup)
    54 = league runners up
    54 = 3rd place in league
    then next ranked 21 or 22 teams in 4th league place.

That would cover the current amount of teams that are participating in both comps and it would also mean no favouritism for the elite leagues and would still give them 5 or 6 teams in Europe.

This would give Scotland 2 places in Champions League unless we keep winning trebles and 4 teams in Europa league with us being in the Group stages from the start.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2018
  2. Nasser

For the Champions League I would have only League Champions in the competition and reduce the numbers considerably. All league champions qualify automatically for the CL - no 2nd and 3rd and 4th place getting in and no stupid qualifying rounds.

KRS-1888 and cidermaster like this.
  3. Murph-E

Just rename it the UEFA Super League and be done with it.

4. cidermaster Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    That Depeche Mode when we score!!
    Yes all 54 Champions should be straight in,should be 64 Teams all together,with defending Champions exempt of course,the other 9 places to be worked out in a sensible way.No seeding,done just like the old European Cup when anyone can get anyone in any Group and the Knock Out Stages.
    Nothing like this will ever happen though,the CL is going to get worse,the greed is growing as we speak and growing and growing,that is why unless Celtic are involved i will never watch any of it ever again,it is not Sport it is Corrupt Greed and the amount of EPL Fanboys out there not only do not give a .uck but think there is nothing wrong with this,so .uck their league as well.
    And do not get me started on Plastic City and PSG False,the 2 most corrupt shiity Clubs on the planet!

5. Drakhan Nac Mac Feegle Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jimmy McGrory
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Have 9 groups of 6 (54 teams) and no seedings at all in the comp, just a straight out draw for each group.
    That would give each team minimum of 10 CL matches.
    Top 3 from each group and then the top 5 next 4th placed teams to make it to knockout stages

cidermaster likes this.
  6. cidermaster Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    That Depeche Mode when we score!!
    Funny i was talking to my nephew about this yesterday and said just about what you have posted,it would be brilliant if this happened,but when when do Fat Cats share when they do not need to!
    Perhaps in a decade or 2 the Fat Cats will have eat all the cream and a new Production line will come along,but for now nothing is changing,only going to get worse,hope i am wrong:50:

7. bhoy_wonder Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    King of kings
    Fav Celtic Song:
    JCGE
    I would agree with this to an extent.....

Could you picture Crusaders, TNS or even the likes of the Estonian champions or Luxembourg champions in the group stages?

The only way we will get to the group stages outright is for our league to become more competitive. Which means you would need major investment into the likes of Aberdeen, Hibs and Motherwell etc.

Which by the way I would absolutely love to see. Up until 10 years ago it was a two horse race now there isn't even a race.

I would genuinely love to see a league in which 4 or 5 teams are more than capable of winning the league and if that ever happenes we will possibly see the return of automatic qualification and possibly a playoff spot for 2nd.

That's a long long way off though.

8. Taz Blind Justice Gold Member News Writer

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    The truth of the matter is, no matter this may be distasteful for some to accept, but there is far less chance of this ever happening than there is for genuine reform and meaningful restructuring taking place within Scottish Football.

There is simply too much money at stake for the big clubs, and let's not kid ourselves that it was because of the same vested interests that did away with the old European Cup and replaced it with the modern Champions League. The same reason that groups such as the G14 came into being, to protect their own interests ahead of all others, and even though that Group no longer physically exists, is anyone really deluded enough to think that their collective interests and influence is not still being felt?

If UEFA actually gave a rats * about having as many national champions as possible in the competition, they would not have it where some national leagues have 2 or 3 participants automatically qualifying aside from the actual defending champions of those countries. I think it is for many tht 'automatic' aspect that sticks in the craw of supporters here. But the truth is, UEFA are not going to reserve 20-odd spots for Champions, and then having all those remaining teams that finished 2nd, 3rd, 4th and on occasion even 5th having to be the ones to fight through an extensive qualifying campaign.

PARKHEAD67 likes this.
  9. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

I think change has to happen, the way it is just now isn't a 'Champions League' nor is it in any way fair.

Instead of manufacturing the process just let all the 'elite' Clubs that UEFA want in the thing join their own League and they can circle * one another until eternity.

10. jocksteinupper

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henke
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willy Maley

:56:now there's an image.......bagsy no sitting beside Blatter!!

ps-getting me uefa and fifa's mixed up there.........still they're all corrupt as *.

I would let the champions of most nations in to the groups. I would draw the line with whipping boys though, maybe champs of bottom few nations have to qualify with the 2nd's, 3rd's, 4th's and every other * that they're trying to get in.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2018
  11. Marie Bookmaker

Fav Celtic Player:
    Them all!!!
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Champions only for me, back to to knock out ties

Drakhan, cidermaster and Taz like this.
  12. honda Gold Member Gold Member

Historic teams that won the thing before should get entry every time they win the league. That way they have access to the cash to keep up with the money leagues and eventually mount a challenge.

PARKHEAD67 likes this.
  13. StainseyBhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Andy Hinkel !!
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the People Sing
    I feel like a lot of these suggestions benefit Celtic...
    Are you guys genuinely saying the competition would be better if teams like Crusaders, Suduar and AB Argir qualified ahead of teams like Dortmund , Man united and Napoli ?

14. Drakhan Nac Mac Feegle Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jimmy McGrory
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    May not be better but fairer and definitely justified as they won their leagues.

15. packybhoy Administrator Administrator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    Speaking to BBC Scotland, he added: "It's only a matter of time before somebody gets seriously injured or, heaven forbid, killed.

"Uefa thinks pyrotechnics and organised violence are the biggest threats to football across Europe. And that's my view when it comes to the domestic game."

Corruption would be top of my list.

16. KRS-1888 Scott La Rock

Who?

17. packybhoy Administrator Administrator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    It is "only a matter of time" before someone is killed by a pyrotechnic at a Scottish football match, one of the country's leading policemen has warned.

Police Scotland will now "consider any tactic" to make grounds safer and will use sniffer dogs at games to detect flares and smoke bombs, said assistant chief constable Bernard Higgins.

18. StPauli1916 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Oliver Tebilly
    Fav Celtic Song:
    George and Pop
    Yes.

19. andybhoy94 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll never walk alone
    This will be the last few years of the CL in its current format it'll become the elite tournament the big teams want it to be and everyone else will get the EL. CL games will probably end up being played all around the world in the likes of US and Asia and it'll be like one of those pre-season tournaments except actually competitive and much more money at stake.

The dream ties that used to only happen once every so often in the CL will become constant fixtures on the calendar, casual fans will love it and everyone else will get bored eventually with the CL having none of the prestige it used to but the money will keep rolling in.

20. KRS-1888 Scott La Rock

Fs.

Wish I hadn't asked.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2018
    Gyp Rosetti and StPauli1916 like this.