1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

[Matchday] UCL Qual R3: Celtic v AEK Athens Wednesday 8th August 7.45pm KO.....result 1-1

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Bobo_, Aug 2, 2018.

Discuss UCL Qual R3: Celtic v AEK Athens Wednesday 8th August 7.45pm KO.....result 1-1 in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. cidermaster Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    That Depeche Mode when we score!!
    I am beyond very confident,i know we are through,who do you think we will get in the last qualifier Tie,not that it matters really because we will stuff them as well!

2. Keano88

I love your confidence, good pal.

Who do we want in the final? Anyone but Onion City who have spent 10 Billion Carrot Cakes to assemble the best squad on planet VUUUUR.

3. Blochairnbhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Sinclair
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Right now probably Morgan and Dembele out both legs

Jeremie Frimpong likes this.
  4. eire4

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Ouch not having Dembele really hurts us badly. Any chance Griffiths will be fit?

5. McManus4

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Thank * we'll have defenders back. Can't wait to get away from 4 at the back. Quicker we can have Tierney and Forrest as wing backs the better. Best position for both by far.

6. Pacific Ocean Blue

Class, thanks mate

El Greco likes this.
  7. Westlondonscot Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Calmac
    I think 1-0 won't be good enough. Celtic never seem to be that great at parking the bus
    Brendan has said he will be back in the squad for Saturday, so I would expect him to get some game time then to see how fit he is.

eire4 likes this.
  8. jj81

This is their 1st competitive game of the season? They came into the qualifiers at this stage yet we had 2 more ties prior?

9. LectersLuncheon

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henke
    Fav Celtic Song:
    all of them
    not confident at all

as someone righlty pointed out last week this side are an embodiment of the euro winning greek side

theyre stingy as *, keep it tight and dont give away fck all.

They are now without their title winning manager yes, but this is a side that knows how to grind out results against better teams than us

Unless a severe improvement is made from our last euro tie, we're going out

Rydo1888* and El Greco like this.
  10. honda Gold Member Gold Member

Cheer up were gonna pump them.

Tommy25 likes this.
  11. El Greco

Don't know if anyone watched the Hibs vs Asteras games but Asteras were the better team in every department than Hibs. Better players, passers, better pace, better movement on and off the ball - better technique - even when down to 10 men they dominated Hibs. However Hibs caught Asteras cold and played with far more passion. The two games were Asteras' first competitive games and it showed. It was like Asteras had just got out of bed.. The same applies here in regards to match readiness. This has haunted Greek teams for years now - this problem of match readiness in summer uefa quals. Slight advantage to Celtic in that AEK will be playing their first competitive games. Having said this - they were quite smart playing Galatasaray recently - was fairly aggressive for a friendly understandably considering how AEK were formed in 1924 - from the wreckage of Greek Constantinople.

They lost their starting CB - Vranjes and their starting striker Arajuo this summer. They replaced both with technical Serie A players. The dangerous thing about AEK is they are fairly happy defending and very happy in possession too - very focused. They have a fair few technical players in fact who can fill 2-3 positions depending on the requirements - they have fairly good shape too on the pitch. They fight to the last second of every game. Their doggedness and persistence made the difference against my own team last year.. :47::47::47:

It is a team with a lot of history - very dedicated support and one of the giants of Greek football. They have emerged very strongly from their financial troubles and are now owned by a guy worth about 4 billion. They already got 1000 fans coming to Glasgow next week. Actually looking forward to this game. Has something special about it already. Game can go either way. Not a game I would put money on in a hurry because I have seen Scottish teams struggle against Greek sides in the past for some reason - having said this - I expect Celtic to throw everything against AEK. Both teams mean a lot to many people and that will be felt - this is why we watch the beautiful game.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2018
  12. Grimm You belong to me!

Fav Celtic Player:
    John Thomson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The Fields of Athenry
    No really sure how it works but I guess if we get through this tie then we'd be up against higher ranked Countries league winners/runners up, excluding the Gang of four who have all pre qualified. If am right Portugal, France, Holland, Russia etc.

13. RabS Aw fuck it Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    I'd imagine their first choice CB pairing (Vranjes-Sold, Chgrynskiy-Injured) had a big part to play in their ability to keep clean sheets. Add to that they've lost their manager like you mentioned, their two top scorers and also a centre mid who was their vice captain. Their main creative player missed pretty much the entire 17/18 season through injury as well. They're also miles behind us in terms of preparation/match fitness.

They'll definitely be a step up from Rosenborg but we should just about have enough to see us through.

Tommy25, El Greco and Liam Scales like this.
  14. El Greco

Some debate about this obviously - but their main creative player and captain who you allude to - Mantalos - on his day - is actually a very good player - perhaps the best player playing in the Balkans before that terrible injury. Post that terrible and unfortunate injury, I am curious to see whether he ever reaches the level he was at before. On his day he can undo any team.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2018
    RabS likes this.
  15. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Nah we'd still be seeded, the unseeded potential opponents are all known into the bargain.

16. Account Deactivated Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    What formation are they likely to play mate?

17. El Greco

Exactly the same as Galatasaray. Most likely same line up too. 4 - 3 - 2 -1.

18. celticfan01

Fav Celtic Player:
    Emilio Izaguirre
    Fav Celtic Song:
    all of them
    If they think coming to celtic park and parking the bus is going to be a good idea then * help them. Would take the game against Galatasaray with a pinch of salt, looks like big marvin would fit right in that gala defence. 4-0 @home to us, 2-1 loss away. Seems like the greeks have the excuses coming already by the sounds of it, just like they were crying on twitter cause apparently neil lennon was on his phone in the stand :56:

19. aliceinsound

the top 11 countries have their champions qualify automatically, aek athens were probably the strongest non seeded team in champions route of qualification. It is unlikely we will have to face the champions of the countries you mentioned in qualifiers in current format.

20. jocksteinupper

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henke
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willy Maley
    I looked at last years Greek table when the draw was made and had a double-take when i saw their goals against column. Credit where it's due......but but but have they lost their CB partnership have they not??, they lost 2 goals in a friendly against Galatasaray and it's also gonna be their first competitive game of the season. 'If' we fire middle to front i think we'll do them but we'll let in, i'm pretty sure about that.

For me, you weigh it all up and there's far more resons to be positive than not!!

And by the way, nobody want's at least a CB and RB cover more than i do but that's just the way it is with our lot....they'll be a plan A and plan B in pistols Pete's head.....sure of it!!