1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Confess your unpopular Celtic-related opinions

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by The IRA, Jun 26, 2018.

Discuss Confess your unpopular Celtic-related opinions in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

How can it get boring winning every competition?

2. Sean Daleer Free Palestine Gold Member

Bovril is the dugs baws. Got to be the powdered variety though. B&M do a pack of 8 individual cups of Bovril for a quid. It's pure manna from heaven.

Absolutely no fat or sugar in it too. Result.

trackebhoy, Eazey and G_portillo like this.
  3. Sean Daleer Free Palestine Gold Member

:giggle1:

Banned. Imagine that. :rofl:

4. G_portillo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Van Djik
    Ki was our best technical footballer when we sold him and we could and should have got a lot more out of him.
    He was made a scape goat for the away defeat to Killie (Robbie Keanes debut?).
    He put in a few performances of real quality, yet somehow players like Marc Crosas were liked more by the fans, despite producing far less in his time at Celtic.

5. G_portillo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Van Djik
    Im big against the atlantic league. It would kill the smaller teams in scotland who rely on the income from the games against us. It would ultimitely price some of our most loyal fans from attending games also. I think we need to help the scottish game rise, instead of turning our backs on a league we have always existed in.

The focus should be on improving the current set up (a total overhaul of the sfa and those running our game).

Im in total agreement with regards to the CL and it would be great to see the teams and leagues affected come together and protest against Uefa and prevent this elitist mentality and ensure a fairer distrubution of wealth.

6. Jax Teller

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thumb
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Soldier song
    I won every “handsomest boy at school” award while i was there. Weird how they kept giving the award to my mum to give me though.

7. Sean Daleer Free Palestine Gold Member

There is a valid reason for the name 'Paradise', it's not just a soundbite or marketing exercise.

Marty McFly likes this.
  8. Sween

I don't disagree with the sentiment but the prevailing trend in world football is that the rich are getting richer. That is true in Scotland just as it is true is most smaller leagues where one team is buoyed by champions league money and the rest live of scraps.

Celtic can be as generous as they like to Aberdeen, hibs and hearts but realistically the only way these teams can ever challenge celtic for any sustained period in by being bankrolled. Same goes for rangers.

Small teams wouldnt be killed, they would just adapt. I actually think a footballing and financial monopoly is more likely to kill scottish football than the outlier team leaving.

9. G_portillo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Van Djik
    Totally agree mate, but if we give up on the scottish game and chase the big money, then we become just like every other money grabbing club we resent.

I dont think our game is far away from a resurgance, the tv deal is key.

At the head of these teams (other than those who shall remain nameless) are people making sound financial decisions. There has been many positives in our game the past few seasons and hopefully that continues and our teams continue to grow and make progress.

Sween likes this.
  10. Gyp Rosetti Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Rogic
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic symphony
    Might be * into the wind as it looks like Sky aren’t interested in our game unless it’s for ‘old firm’ derbies.

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/football/2899601/sky-sports-scottish-cup-spfl-2020/amp/

11. ourdaywillcome! Gold Member Gold Member

Happy with what we got for Ki, technically good, yes, but he had tendencies to go missing.

12. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

So you think Celtic are bad for Scottish football...

13. Gyp Rosetti Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Rogic
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic symphony
    It’s weird even seeing him comment in here ffs. :88:

14. Westlondonscot Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Calmac
    My pet peeves are that people always think I'm Irish. One guy said to me "why do you support Scotland, no Celtic fans support Scotland". I said yeah they do and he was just, no I worked there they all support Ireland, well my family is from Scotland and we all support Celtic and Scotland. I couldn't give a * if Ireland do well unless they had some Celtic players in their team.

My old boss (who is of Irish descent) called my Dad weird because he was a Church of Scotland Celtic supporter. I explained that while it was not the most common thing it was not an uncommon thing. My Dad hated the secretarian Rangers who would not sign Catholics I felt that most of the religious hate came from the protestant side. He was a strong Celtic fan and he died wearing his Celtic shirt and we are cremating him on Friday with that Celtic shirt on.

Politics within the support. Maybe I notice it more because I support Celtic but the fans seem to be more political than most. I'm not pro Palestine, nor am I pro the current Israeli government. I believe that is a war where there is no good guy but I do believe in the right to a Jewish state/holy land. I don't currently support an Independent Scotland, although in theory I would love for the nation to be independent and I would apply for citizenship, however I fear for its economy and believe currently a union is best. My ideal union would however be a United States of Great Britain and Northern Ireland or Republic of Great Britain and Northern Ireland. In general I just believe football and politics are a separate thing unless you are Karen Brady.

15. G_portillo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Van Djik
    Sky’s stance has been made pretty clear through their coverage of our game.

BT have bettered the coverage of our game in only a few seasons, than what the BBC and SKY (and setanta) have managed in the last few decades.

Sky have paid the price for a poor product and their coverage of La Liga, was equally as bad this year (they have lost the rights for Spanish football to Eleven sports as of next season.) At the end of the season they didnt even have a studio on revista de la liga and at times their was little to no analysis, with only the highlights.

I think we owe a lot to Sutton for creating hype and appeal around the scottish games and at times I think he has been deliberately provocative and controversial for this effect. last season was a great advertisement for our game due to the amount of closley fought and exciting games there were and the return of the edinburgh derby has definitely added to this.

Whats more is that it has been some time since there has been as many good, young high profile managers in our league.

The next big step is for the other teams to start making progress by putting runs together in europe, improving our coefficient and re establishing the reputation of the Scottish game, as for so long only we have flown the flag.

16. Sween

I think a monopoly is bad in any sport. Nothing specific to celtic at all but money is destroying natural competition in a lot of football leagues. And if there is no real competition people become less interested

In an ideal scenario there would be a filter down of cash at every level and the gap would close across the game but it isn't going to happen anytime soon in football outside of a league like the EPL where the package is worth far more than any individual club.

17. Gyp Rosetti Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Rogic
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic symphony
    Capital C in Celtic please.

johnboy19 and Rydo1888* like this.
  18. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

I’m happy to totally dominate the game in Scotland as to not do so is wishing your club to lose. Are you a Celtic fan?

Gabriel likes this.
  19. Sween

You don't believe it is possible to seperate having a favourite football team with the opinion that any team (including your own) winning everything all the time is limiting for the team and bad for the collective game?

20. Sween

I don't understand how you can fail to get that supporting your favourite team and having an opinion that a sustained monopoly is bad for any game or sport, even if that relates to your own team, isn't in conflict?