1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Engineering jobs?

Discussion in 'TalkCeltic Pub' started by Jax Teller, May 12, 2018.

Discuss Engineering jobs? in the TalkCeltic Pub area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Dhan

do you not fancy a job with AA or RAC if you are * off being stuck in workshop ....I know you are still working with cars but you get to drive about and not getting jobcards rammed up your * in workshop

I feel your pain if you think its not for you .I also served my time as a mechanic then stuck at it for about 10 years ...The last 20 odd years I have worked in engineering /CNC and also the plant hire industry with a manufacturer .....all these have been jobs I liked and most of them have been through connections or people I know

2. Jax Teller

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thumb
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Soldier song
    I applied and passed their online assessments etc just to be told they didnt have any vacancies in my area.

Really dont want to stay in this trade though, been offered a few more jobs with decentish money in garages but would rather try my hand in the engineering sector.

Just need to keep my eyes peeled and keep applying.

3. Pinstripe

There's good money to be made in the CNC side of things, I took voluntary redundancy just over a year ago with the plans of doing something else but after 4 jobs I've found myself back on the CNCs basically because of the money. The further north to go the more money on offer especially Aberdeen. If your easily bored though it might not be for you as it can be mind numbing at times.

4. Jax Teller

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thumb
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Soldier song
    Its a catch 22 with those jobs, you need 5 years experience in the last 2 years just to get a sniff.

5. Fontaine Gold Member Gold Member

I don't know how you are with AutoCAD or Inventor/Solidworks as part of your HNC? Maybe not with Revit if it's Manufacturing Engineering, but there's plenty of jobs out there in the drawing offices just now, mainly Civils and Structural though and the money can be very good, even as a new start.

6. Jax Teller

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thumb
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Soldier song
    I did AutoCAD as part of the HNC so will have the unit for it, would that be enough you think?

7. Fontaine Gold Member Gold Member

Yeah, most offices look for an HNC minimum within an engineering discipline. The added bonus that you have autocad experience is the bonus.

Not saying you should definitely go down this route, just giving you another option as the money can be great, and gets you off the tools in the long run.

Jax Teller likes this.
  8. Jax Teller

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thumb
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Soldier song
    Need to look into it thanks.

9. Jax Teller

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thumb
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Soldier song
    Bumping this to see if anyone works/has worked with network rail as an engineer?

Ive applied for a few jobs and jumped through all their hoops/online mechanical tests etc, just seems to be a really drawn out process, with about 6 stages so far.

Next stage is face to face interview, wanting some tips from those already working there of what they’re looking for, been told they heavily emphasise health and safety and if I exaggerate it i will be in with a shout.

10. Onefootwonder

There is plenty of jobs on the go in the manufacturing side again.

The turnover of workers is getting up again.

11. Jax Teller

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thumb
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Soldier song
    Ive applied to about 200 jobs the past few weeks, really pinning my hopes on these 2 rail jobs though, starts off at £30k a year.

12. Onefootwonder

More specifically to Aberdeen and manufacturing side of things in the earlier quote.

£30k a year up here is easy to command with any technical qualification.

Jax Teller likes this.