1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Dedryck Boyata

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by Boom Stick, May 31, 2015.

Discuss Dedryck Boyata in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

Tags:
  1. littlekennie

Fav Celtic Player:
    nakamura
    Fav Celtic Song:
    four leaf clover
    Just been thinking boyata is quite injury prone maybe we might be better cashing in

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

2. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    Think he meant regardless of if he’s playing better than the other two.

3. Rendog

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The SAM song
    I have been torn on Boyata since day one. He can be a bombscare, but with a good team in front of him he doesn't need to panic as much. With the style we play there are not many centre backs out there that will not make the odd error especially in Europe. Even Virgil did.

4. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

He does make mistakes but he’s also superb in the air both defensively and offensively and if he’s up against power he almost never loses those battles.

There’s a reason Rodgers has stuck with him for so long and it’s not out of stubbornness as some have suggested!

Liam Scales, Rydo1888*, Marie and 3 others like this.
  5. Gyp Rosetti Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Rogic
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic symphony
    He is not nearly as bad as some on here make out, he really screwed the nut after his Ibrokes fiasco if being honest.

6. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

Willing the big man to prove me wrong...he is coming into the prime age for a CB..

7. stubhoy07 Gold Member Gold Member

He isn'the worst CB we have had/have and I hope he has a great world cup. I still think we could do better though.

Am not going to pretend to know loads about schar but I have seen him a few times over the years. I think he would be a upgrade on boyata for example.

Boyata is a fairly good CB but every time we enter a big game my heart drops when he is on the ball. In a system where Brendan wants the defenders to play a bit he is a worry.

8. jpr21

Fav Celtic Player:
    mcgregor
    Fav Celtic Song:
    willie maley
    Aerially he is as good as it gets. He is decent in possession and has decent pace for a CB. If he could cut out the mistakes sky's the limit.

9. Jeremie Frimpong

I’ll judge him on his performances in a Celtic jersey, some of which have been comical.

Markybhoy and Crilly like this.
  10. Mr. Slippyfist

Boyata showed he has the balls to succeed here.

When he was playing awful, he was dropped.

Sviatchencko was playing awful, he was dropped too.

One of them pulled uo their socks and worked their way back into contention, then into regular first team, then onto the World Cup.

The other one is no longer at the club, says it all.

11. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Dedryck Boyata has revealed that Vincent Kompany was one of the first to congratulate him in the aftermath of his World Cup performance for Belgium this week.

Deputising for the injured 32-year-old and Thomas Vermaelen, Boyata featured for the 3-0 win over Panama on Monday. The Belgians face Tunisia on Saturday before closing the group with a game against England and while Boyata is keen on hanging onto his place he will know himself that if Kompany and Vermaelen are fit as the tournament progresses he may find himself on the bench.

A dream became a reality for me against Panama,” said the Celtic defender. “If you’d told me two years ago I’d play at a World Cup, I wouldn’t have believed you. I must thank my team-mates for their support. “The people of Belgium did not know me. I’ve never played in my home country. But it’s fun to win over any sceptics.

“The coach will decide what happens next. If he puts me on the bench I won’t complain. The collective comes first.”

Boyata and Kompany came together at Manchester City, where Boyata moved when he first left his home town of Brussels.

The Parkhead defender has not always been without his critics in a career that has been prone to error at times but he has revealed that Kompany was his biggest cheerleader as he made his bow at the World Cup.

“I’d rather keep to myself what Vincent had to say to me after my performance, but he really touched my heart,” said Boyata. “I learned to grow with him, but it’s important for me to make my own way and I’ve achieved my goal. He’s become just another team-mate.

?“I’m pleased with my performance and with that of the Belgium team as a whole. It was my first World Cup match and I had to keep my emotions in check. It was a real performance.”

Boyata will find himself with more supporters than normal when the final group game of Group G takes place. If he keeps his place in the team, Boyata will be going up against Harry Kane’s England side.

Further exposure will highlight the fact that he has only a year remaining on his current Celtic contract and already there has been reports that Lazio have been keeping tabs on the player.

Italian newspaper Il Messaggero have suggested that the Serie A club regard Boyata as a replacement for the outgoing Stefan de Vrij. They have have been heavily linked with Sassuolo man Francesco Acerbi but with those talks at a stand still, Lazio could be about to turn their attention to Boyata.

For now, though, the player is intent on making the most of the experience of playing at World Cup. The defender was unsure up until the last minute whether or not he would make Roberto Martinez’ squad for the tournament so having found himself on the park, he is reluctant to allow his long-term future to act as a distraction.

“Right now, I am concentrating on the World Cup. I am not thinking about my future,” he said. “I still have a year on my contract and we will see after the summer if I continue with Celtic again.”

Tommy25 likes this.
  12. FrankMcCallum Gold Member Gold Member

Sviatchenko isn’t here anymore because he is about 5ft 11 and quite slow. People like to think he got dropped after a bad run of form but in reality it was injury that took him out of the team originally.

The nonsense about his supposedly poor attitude does my nut in as the guy says nothing but good things about us and was professional throughout his time here. Particularly in Deila’s last year when several fan favourites absolutely chucked it.

Rodgers likes big athletic guys as his centre backs which is why Boyata got his chance and I’d love to say he hasn’t put a foot wrong but I’d be a dirty liar if I said that.

Having said that he’s had several terrific games and I applaud his attitude, his aerial ability and his general defensive abilities. He can read a game, seems to organise quite well and is strong and athletic.

Good luck to him at the World Cup I hope he does well, as I doubt he’ll hang about for long if he’s coveted, especially with a year left on his deal.

johnno379 likes this.
  13. Mr. Slippyfist

For a guy who says "nothing but good things" about the club, that wouldn't tally up if he wasn't getting games simply because of his height "issue" and lack of speed now, would it?

He was in the papers a couple of times moaning how he SHOULD be playing and basically it wasn't fair he wasn't getting a game blah blah blah, whereas Boyata simply got on with it after being dropped and obviously he showed more than Erik that he should have been playing.

So - as you say - if it's "nonsense" him not getting a game because of attitude, then suggesting he never got a game because he was only 5'11 and too slow is utter stupidity.

14. joemc

Problem is playing him with ajer who is learning and is prone to being in line or ahead when boyata is in possession,and is exposed if any errors happen ,we need ajer to learn fast but could be doing with someone more experienced than both to play with either .who knows we may even lose him after world cup .

15. johnno379

We cant afford to lose him after the Wc, he's the only defender we have that can defend a set piece.

16. honda Gold Member Gold Member

And only one who can score from one :56:

johnno379 likes this.
  17. Zander Gold Member Gold Member

Starting again today. Goodluck Debo

neilly1987 likes this.
  18. Clint Eastwood The Good Bad and Ugly of TC

Starting two games in a row for one of the tournament favourites, quite impressive that we have a player in this position.

19. scotsbhoy1

Fav Celtic Player:
    Rogic
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Never walk alone
    and hes * it :56:

20. buchanbhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    jimmy johnstone
    Fav Celtic Song:
    willie malley song
    He didn’t do too well for Tunisia’s goal