1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

European expectations

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Callum McGregor, Jun 19, 2018.

Discuss European expectations in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. MagicBallBhoy Gold Member Gold Member

so we cant get an epl spanish italian german french russian team in qualifying round 3 or 4 ?

im old

2. TimFloyd Gold Member

I have no expectations unless we have a better keeper.

3. aliceinsound

nope, i think the strongest teams we can face would be aek athens or young boys, the champions of poland, denmark, sweden etc would probably be tough opponents but canny mind who they are about to go to bed so cba checking

MagicBallBhoy likes this.
  4. Jeremie Frimpong

We can only face the champions of smaller nations.

5. Drakhan Nac Mac Feegle Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jimmy McGrory
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    In play off round we can face Young Boys or the participants of matches involving APOEL, Legia Warsaw or Astana from previous rounds but we would be seeded for that.
    We would avoid Benfica, Ajax, Basel and Dinamo Kyiv

6. Blochairnbhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Sinclair
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    But can we get Arsen.... never mind

Cumbernauld Bhoy67 and Drakhan like this.
  7. CydonianWaffle

Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Just secure the Champos windfall and see what happens.

TrueTim67 likes this.
  8. JML67 Gold Member Gold Member

With the experience the team now has, as well as what Brendan should have learned from the last 2 campaigns I would be happy with group stages again to hopefully give a better showing than last term. Yes we beat Anderlecht but to not get any points at home was sore.

3rd place would be ideal as I feel we could be more competitive in the EL knockouts.

9. Westlondonscot Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Calmac
    I am disappointed whenever we don't make the group stage. I think it is something I have come to expect and I think our players are more than capable. Happy would be European football after January but I would want it in a better fashion than last season. We were pathetic against Anderlecht at home, although only an own goal won it they were far superior in every way. Hopefully everyone can remain fit. Last year in the qualifiers we had many games without a striker and or a midfielder playing as a CB.

10. honda Gold Member Gold Member

Whos the best out of them? Book our flights now because thats who we will get.

littlekennie likes this.
  11. littlekennie

Fav Celtic Player:
    nakamura
    Fav Celtic Song:
    four leaf clover
    I would say young boys of berne they competed against Tottenham not so long ago and pipped basle to the league title
    Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

Last edited: Jun 20, 2018
  12. straighttalker

Fav Celtic Player:
    Big Vic
    Tough ask to get into Groups again, until we reinforce some back line positions I would be hesitant in saying we will get as far as we'd like. Some shrewd signings and I think a group stage and 3rd place is more than achievable, and from there a last 16/8 in Europa would be a fantastic achievement.

13. stubhoy07 Gold Member Gold Member

I don't think we are a million miles away from pushing for 2nd spot. Like mentioned above, a couple decent signings and 3rd spot should be achievable. We could do with a bit of luck in the draw too, that would make a nice change. I can't remember a time in my life where I have looked at the draw and thought we have one of the easier groups. We always have a hellish group

Crilly, LloydsGamble and littlekennie like this.
  14. Jacob knows Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the people sing
    Honestly believe qualification is heavily reliant on us getting a 1st choice R/B in place.
    Obviously some will point to Lustig starting for Sweden in the WC but imo he is a big liability in our team and is found wanting quite often.

Crilly likes this.
  15. LloydsGamble

Qualifying will be tough but I think we need to get past the level of worrying about ties like Alashkert. I know pessimism comes easy to Celtic fans given our tendency to make a meal of things, but come on.

We've went up a level as a club under Brendan, I am confident we'll make it through comfortably against Alashkert and Rosenborg, although Rosenborg will obviously be trickier on the fitness side.

EDIT: Maybe a bit in dreamland here, but imagine UEFA introduced a spot based on best supported club/atmosphere as voted by both fans and players.... :celt_2:

16. chukie ar la

Small expectations without buying quality defenders.

17. Gerry1972 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson, Calmac
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley
    Last season my goal was reach the groups, then worst case drop into the Europa league, which we did.

This season with the path a bit bumpier and the cash a lot more than last season, I'll be happy to reach the groups.

If/when we do that, I'll get greedy and want European football after Chrimbo.

18. aliceinsound

just had a look again at europa league prize money for this season coming, 3 million euros for group stage basic fee, altleast that ammount from market pool and over 500 thousand euros for each game won.

I mind back in O'Neil's time, the champions league qualifiers were billed as a 10 million pound game. the europa league group stage is pretty much worth that to us now, mental how much prize money has increased.

19. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony

Youve mentioned the key thing. Luck.

Our draws have been incredibly difficult under Rodgers, something people don't really take into consideration when comparing him against Strachan and Lennon, who both reached the last 16.

20. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    I think we all need to acknowledge that the footballing landscape has changed dramatically over the last decade, too.

Inflated transfer prices and wages in the bigger leagues makes it that little bit harder for us to recruit.