1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Should we set up like Iceland Vs Argies to get better results in europe

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Account Deactivated, Jun 17, 2018.

Discuss Should we set up like Iceland Vs Argies to get better results in europe in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. MagicBallBhoy Gold Member Gold Member

that team was exceptional with mainly just average players that gelled to make them a really good outfit in a playing style that suited them to a tee, i think they were older and more experienced than the teams we have been playing with for a good few years now, so that defensive type of game suited them

if your saying we were far to open in some of the recent games against european top quality opposition then yes, i think in a lot of ways the team were beat before they went on the park, understandable that it is, all the papers and tv were going on about the triple strike valued at around 4 hundred million euros and how they were going to win the EC

they choked the life out of us that night with their press and we could barely get out of our own penalty area for large parts of the match, i remember us trying to pass the ball out of defence and our midfield and forward players were surrounded by psg players they couldn't turn and couldn't pass because psg had 3 players around them, were a young team bringing through the best we can afford young talent, they wont get better parking the bus and giving up on winning before they go out on the park, i trust brendan to be doing the right thing by them, training them for their growing career

2. Lancashire Nick

Fav Celtic Player:
    Bobby Lennox
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields Of Athenry
    In an ideal world, we could swap tactics to suit the quality of the opposition. In reality I'm not sure it is possible.

1) BR doesn't believe in "parking the bus" and trying to hit teams on the counter. He wants to continue to develop our normal attacking style until it can compete with the "big boys".

2) I'm not sure the players can be expected to successfully adopt a different approach for 3 or 4 games per season. Plus, the time needed in training, to drill the system into the players is probably not worth the reward, and would negatively impact the time spent perfecting our normal style of play.

3. King of Kings

Fav Celtic Player:
    boruc
    I actually really like the way Iceland play. Its not just being organised and drilled, but cohesion and teamwork across the pitch. You can’t really beat a good underdog story in sports either.

I’m not sure we have the personnel to play a style similar to Iceland, but I would like to see us adopt a more pragmatic approach against the best teams in the CL. There have been a few nights now that have stopped being fun after the third or fourth goals goes in.

Realistically though, a mild move towards a more pragmatic style is the best we could hope for (if you hope for that sort of thing at all). We need to be stronger defensively regardless of the approach we take.

4. joemc

5. richardm

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mcgrain
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    No....I don't fancy the idea of being the WBA or Stoke of Europe and paying 50 quid to see one shot at goal every home game, our expectations have to be higher than this...it's not in the clubs make up to go down this route

MagicBallBhoy likes this.
  6. bhoy81

from parkhead glasgow but now live in merseyside
    100% yes.

7. joemc

These tactics would only be addopted for away games against the top sides with huge experience in cl ,using the same tactics that see us suffer heavy defeats will start to bring fear and doupt nto our play ,we learn nothing from them ,we want to see progress and to do that we need to find the right ballance against these teams away and hit them with everything we have at home .

littlekennie likes this.
  8. richardm

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mcgrain
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    I don’t see what your are suggesting as being any great departure from what happens at the moment, with regards avoiding pumpings well every season we will be in pot 4 so PSG, Barca, Real and Bayern and the likes will always be the calibre we face, at the moment in European football very few clubs are avoiding getting pumped by those teams as the gap is getting wider, my original point was more towards the home games but regarding how to improve...better defending and less individual errors need to be the norm to have any hope

9. MagicBallBhoy Gold Member Gold Member

Playing the richest is always going to be hard, but what you suggesting is a slippery road, we already know the bean counters at board level would spend less if they could get away with it, you be pleasing them by taking this path and our players effectively wouldn’t be trying to play there best game against the best , which would bring in stagnation, and results first, I’m a greedy * on behalf of Celtic I want us to always play our best, this is negative and limiting and wouldn’t help us