1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

The Tennis Thread

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Markybhoy, May 16, 2014.

Discuss The Tennis Thread in the Other Sports area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. neilly1987 Do I look happy? Do I look settled? Gold Member

Halep is phenomenal, well based on that showing anyway. Stephens is no slouch either,really need to get back into watching tennis again.

ScouseHoops and Lilac Wine like this.
  2. Lilac Wine

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Nadal, the Serena of Roland Garros. It's almost pointless watching his games as they are almost pointless for opponents.

He is just in a league of his own and I wouldn't be surprised if he keeps winning this even after he's retired from the other 3 Slams.

Thiem looks a great player for the future after this golden generation.

ScouseHoops likes this.
  3. ScouseHoops Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace/The Huddle Song!
    I love her lad. Particularly as her tenacious spirit and slight frame/height in comparison remind me of Monica Seles who i also loved. Plus Romania is a country that interests me. But i love the underdog and Simona deserves a major.

My favorite for similar reasons and x5 fans fave WTA player of the year is Aggie Radwanska who is like the proverbial Gazelle being chased by the Cheetah with all the Williams and Konta power players about. She uses what * gave her and utilises it well. Also never won a major.
    Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

4. ScouseHoops Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace/The Huddle Song!
    I love her lad. Particularly as her tenacious spirit and slight frame/height in comparison remind me of Monica Seles who i also loved. Plus Romania is a country that interests me. But i love the underdog and Simona deserves a major.

My favorite for similar reasons and x5 fans fave WTA player of the year is Aggie Radwanska who is like the proverbial Gazelle being chased by the Cheetah with all the Williams and Konta power players about. She uses what * gave her and utilises it well. Also never won a major.

Lilac Wine likes this.
  5. Lilac Wine

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Totally agree. I never really got to see Seles although I heard she could potentially have been the best ever and Graff would never have won so many titles until the insane Graff fan stabbed her and she never recovered which is a real tragedy for her and the sport in general.

Really liked Radwanska for the reasons you state. Shame she never won a major. I loved how the slight Belgian player could outwit the power of Serena but she had a blood condition that harmed her career. Can't mind her name for some reason. Another graceful player who used the power of the ball rather than herself was Hingis but she couldn't cope when the Williams arrived I think.

I do much prefer to see players using the opponent's power against them, I think it's a much more gifted talent and creative way of playing. Not to dismiss the quality of the power players, they still have to be good shot makers.

It's why I prefer Federer to Nadal. I respect the unbelievable quality of Nadal and fighting spirit but Federer reinvented the men's game for me after Sampras was winning games with mostly aces or two shots I think. He was a great player but the game lacked the variety Federer brought to it and he is responsible for the rise of the Golden Era I'm quite sure.

ScouseHoops likes this.
  6. Clint Eastwood The Good Bad and Ugly of TC

It's 11 now for Rafa. Absolute freak of nature.

ScouseHoops and Lilac Wine like this.
  7. Lilac Wine

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    It is bizarre, he's one of the all time greats on all surfaces but on clay he's in a league of his own. It'll never be repeated. Probably got at least a couple more in him.

Clint Eastwood likes this.
  8. ILoveTheCeltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    Hows he that good on that surface though? what is it that makes it easier for him, is it slower to run on or does he hit the ball harder and it bounces faster or something?

ScouseHoops likes this.
  9. Lilac Wine

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    I was thinking about that and all I could come up with is in Spain it's the preferred surface so he probably grew up playing on it and since he's world class on other surfaces he naturally is even better on that?

AnnoniOnAnawNoo likes this.
  10. ScouseHoops Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace/The Huddle Song!
    Justin Henin. Little genius. Sadly double Wimbledon runner up. Best one handed backhand i have EVER seen. Always prefer grace over power me like yourself and she had it in spades. Won RG a few times.

Rendog and Lilac Wine like this.
  11. ScouseHoops Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace/The Huddle Song!
    @Swervedancer

And this

Rendog and Lilac Wine like this.
  12. Lilac Wine

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Cheers :50: Such a famous name, crazy forgetting it. Aye she was a very special player and I do recall that one handed backhand, such a difficult technique too. Federer another expert. Pity she didn't win Wimbledon but I knew she did win some slams which was great at the time because it felt like that kind of style could no longer win in the women's game.

@ScouseHoops just seen the second video you posted. I don't speak French but I heard the word 'magic!' and it certainly was. A phenomenal backhand with such variety too, as you say, it's so effortless and graceful.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2018
    ScouseHoops likes this.
  13. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Nadal’s clay record is one of the most enduring things in sport. His legacy on the surface will live forever.

It’s now come to the point the mental aspect is just as hard as the physical, he’s an almost impossible hurdle to jump for any other player.

Lilac Wine likes this.
  14. ScouseHoops Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace/The Huddle Song!
    My Ma loved Hana Mandilokova for same reasons in that grace over power and won everything bar Wimbledon (RU x2).

She always tells me Fed is the only person since Bjorg she/anyone STILL wants to win everything despite their persistent domiance. I agree.

Sometimes players make a sport a science. Sugar Ray Robinson, Ali, Gatti, the could move/box and not just slug or KO someone. Same for Federer. Like a ballet dancer around the court. All about having your feet in the right place then can dictate the play. Remember Agassi? Master of this. Barely * moved from the middle of that baseline let alone anywhere else.

Lilac Wine likes this.
  15. Rendog

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The SAM song
    Beating a fit Nadal on clay is the toughest thing to do in sport.

Lilac Wine likes this.
  16. Lilac Wine

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    I remember that name but I don't remember her for some reason. It's true I follow the men's game more than the women's. I share her sentiments regarding Federer and your description of him is exactly why I personally think he's the GOAT although I appreciate other arguments about that. My brother remembers Bjorg and he says he totally changed the game too. I can't understand why he retired so young.

Only seen some highlights of Ali boxing and I get what you mean, wonderful feet but that Rumble in the Jungle is one of the most incredible things I've seen. Apparently one of the hardest punchers in boxing Foreman kept battering him and he was taking it all and just let him tire out before delivering the masterclass knockout. Incredible.

Agassi was regarded as the best returner of a ball the game had seen I'm sure the pundits generally agreed. Big power hitters back in his day too. I know he is one of the most popular tennis players ever. A great personality.

ScouseHoops likes this.
  17. Marty McFly Whoa, this is heavy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    What an embarrassment that Konta is. Ridiculous rant at the umpire. Mind her being a weirdo on the Jonathan Ross Show, this just rams home that she’s a bint.

18. AnnoniOnAnawNoo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Rogic
    Yeah his familiarity with the surface is definitely his best asset but he also possesses the most topspin of any player on tour. As the clay is the slowest of the surfaces he can basically get to every ball and using his topspin almost guarantee his return will be in play - hard thing to beat!

Lilac Wine likes this.
  19. Markybhoy

She had a point. The ball was out.

20. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Muzza is back :34: