1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Squad number 7 becomes available

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Bhoyyo, Jun 6, 2018.

Discuss Squad number 7 becomes available in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Lancashire Nick

Fav Celtic Player:
    Bobby Lennox
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields Of Athenry
    Did Dalglish wear it? I remember him as usually wearing 9 or 10, and I think sometimes 8, but i don't think he wore 7 that much until he went to Liverpool. I could be wrong though, it's a long time ago, and my memory isn't what it was :)

As for the number 7 now, give it to a new signing. I hate it when players change numbers. it makes identification so much easier when they keep the numbers I'm used to seeing them in.

Tommy25 likes this.
  2. KG-Henrik

Aye yer right. He never wore 7 going by a google image search. I wasn’t born then, just presumed he did going by what other people said. Mixed up with Liverpool.

So is the Celtic number 7 a myth basically? Famous for Jinky and that’s it? 30years later Larsson made it famous again? Outwith that, makes absolutely no difference who gets it. Give it to Tierney when he turns into the next Bale and starts scoring 20 odd goals a season.haha

Easter Rd Davie likes this.
  3. Westlondonscot Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Calmac
    I always used to see it as a mark of respect to give a player a 1-11 shirt number when it was available, and that used to generally be how it was but shirt numbers mean little now as players seem to keep old numbers. * knows why Forrest has 49, McGregor 42 and Tierney 63 though. We have no 2,3 or 7. 2 & 3 would be suitable for full backs, and 7 could be Edouard's if he signed permanently but would not be surprised to see it given to Morgan. 13 was a common number for 2nd choice keeper so surprised Bain did not get that.

4. Lancashire Nick

Fav Celtic Player:
    Bobby Lennox
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields Of Athenry
    I believe Tierney was given 63 by chance (the kids often get high numbers), but has kept it because it's the year his Dad was born.

No doubt Notorious will correct me if I'm wrong :giggle2:

5. ApartPidgeon

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    im sure I read somewhere it was the number Tommy Burns gave them and they keep it for that reason (Or was that McGeady??)

6. freitassen

We should retire it in honor of Patrick Roberts.

Alternativelly we could give it to Forrest. Those 40+ numbers for first team players that left the academy a long time ago dont make sense

7. Lancashire Nick

Fav Celtic Player:
    Bobby Lennox
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields Of Athenry
    I think so.

Jinky was voted the best Celtic player ever, and Henrik was probably the best non-Scottish player the club's ever had; and because two such greats wore the number 7, it has garnered a reputation that (perhaps) it doesn't deserve.

Easter Rd Davie and KG-Henrik like this.