1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

The Witcher TV Show

Discussion in 'TC Media' started by Bumblebee, Jul 10, 2017.

Discuss The Witcher TV Show in the TC Media area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Bumblebee

Following on from the game thread and @Dear Hunter post reminding me of this announcement I thought I'd create a thread for what will mostly be speculation and rumours for the time being.

(I couldn't see a thread for this, apologies if there is one)

I like Netflix and a lot of what they have done so far. The Witcher book series and games are rich with lore and deserve to be treated with care and attention to detail I just hope Netflix do so. This could be their Game of Thrones (not quite on par with it but close).

Having said that, I'm not entirely confident with them having this as I would be with HBO. But they do have Andrzej Sapkowski the author of the books as a consultant for the show so maybe they are treating it with the respect it deserves and I'm being too pessimistic.

One thing I will say right now though is it is important that this is 10 episodes per season maximum they can't go and fill it with loads of pointless filler episodes a nice tight contained story is what will make or break this. Don't do a Walking Dead please Netflix with 6 episodes that do something and 10 that stand still. :31:

Check out the two prequel books by the way, The Last Wish and Sword of Destiny, filled with short stories but they are really very very good.

So Dear Hunter made a fantastic shout for Mads Mikkelsen as Geralt, really can't picture anyone else now playing Geralt.

Artorias and Officer Doofy like this.
  2. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

[​IMG]

Praying that this actually happens and doesn't end up falling through. The series would need a big, big budget if it's to be done any justice.

Like you said, it has the potential to be the Netflix' answer to Game of Thrones in a way. The universe is brimming with potential storylines and interesting characters.

Artorias and Bumblebee like this.
  3. Artorias

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Read a wee update the other day, due to be out 2020 and be 8 episodes long. Please don't * it up. There was a TV series years ago in Poland and it was absolutely * apparently.

4. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

I like what the showrunner said. 8 episodes to cut out filler episodes and have them all tightly packed with plenty of plot and action.

Hopefully there's casting news in the not too distant future. Mads Mikkelsen would be the dream.

5. Artorias

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Aye, ye've sold me on him although I wouldn't take much convincing, the guy is class.

6. ChrisMoh

Fav Celtic Player:
    Samaras
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    2020 is a long wait.this was announced a year ago.hopefullys its good.

7. Artorias

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Henry Cavill been cast as Geralt, think thats a good choice although I did not expect it to be him, I think if he's made to look rough he will fit well for Geralt. Worryingly they seem to be casting Ciri looking specifically for an actress who is as they say BAME Black Asian Minority Ethnicity, if this turns out to be true- it hasn't been denied- it is a fcking joke.

Drakhan likes this.
  8. celtic warrior

I tend to agree with the BAME. Now I'm not one who could put it together well enough to explain my view on it but if it's ok to change a fictional character usually described a certain why to it's polar opposite, then it should be equally as acceptable to change a fictional character like I dunno, Luke Cage.

9. Artorias

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Right, so you are saying that it should be fine as long as it would be fine to do the same with a character from something else that has the character depicted as black or another race? So for example a white guy cast as Luke Cage. I think that is * and * on the source material and the fans of the source material- I can see where you are coming from though. The Luke Cage example would cause a major uproar too as he was the first black superhero to have his own comic book series and probably has a cultural significance to black people who are fans of the series.

10. celtic warrior

The point which we both agree on is that the source material should be kept to - whether it's liked or not, generally speaking the source material is what makes whatever is being adapted popular enough for it to reach that point so to change it is to basic ruin any chance of creating an authentic successful film/tv series.

Artorias likes this.
  11. Lupis Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    It doesn't bother me if it makes logical sense in world. Ie if everyone from Cintra has the same ethnicity fine, but if Ciri is the only one of that ethnicity, and it has been solely done to tick a box, then I have a problem.

Drakhan and Artorias like this.
  12. Artorias

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Exactly, very well and simply put.

13. Artorias

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    I think sadly that is exactly what they are doing. Would not be so bad if they were just looking for any girl to play her who was 13 to 14 years old and found a great actress who so happened to be another race but they have specifically cast for "BAME"-feel like such a * using that term hehe.

Liam Scales likes this.
  14. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    I said this to my cousin the other day, see if somebody who happened to be black or Asian knocked it out the * park when they’ve auditioned, aye fair enough but * on source material specifically to tick a box is just patronising.

Artorias likes this.
  15. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

Meh. I'll watch it, but this ain't the Geralt I'm used to.

Artorias likes this.
  16. Artorias

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    I actually think it looks quite promising. Cheers for posting that as I'd been wanting to see it since the stills had been released.