1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Brendan Fraudgers!

Discussion in 'World Football' started by Mr. Slippyfist, May 20, 2016.

Discuss Brendan Fraudgers! in the World Football area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. hiphopaddict

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paulo Di Canio
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Loansome Boatman
    Exactly........if your going to complain about your manager winning every domestic trophy available then when are you going to be happy????

I was there through Liam Brady and Lou Macari......and I'll tell you in they days....if we'd won the League Cup I'd have been getting pished for a week and gloating.

These are very very very very very good times....and the younger generation i.e 18-25 probably dont realise that cause they grew up in the Martin O'Neil/Gordon Strachan era......I'm telling you, * was bad....really really bad......

If a manager has won the past 4 domestic trophies and is on the run to win the next two.....like every single trophy for the past two seasons....then you'd have to be aff yer heed to be complaining about this

2. rudebhoy67 Gold Member Gold Member

Mate, I'm 45 and lived through the 90s. I also think Rodgers record in the transfer market has been very poor so far. It is ok to say stuff like that.
    I don't think anyone's complaining about winning trophies. It's not like people are going " Well we've won the league cup, probably going to win the league and Scottish cup too,,,, ahh that's pure *, no happy about this".
    You can have opinions on certain aspects of this season, such as consistency, tactics, recruitment etc wether good or bad and yet still be happy with how the season is going as a whole.
    Do I think his recruitment record is poor, yes. Am I happy with the levels of consistency, no.
    Am I happy that when the really important games come round we usually pull a performance out the bag, yes. Am I happy that we're on course to win 6 trophies, ecstatic. No one is aff their heeds for not thinking everything is perfect. Opinions and arseholes, everyone has both.

And the 90s and now are incomparable and can't really be held up as a fair example.

3. hiphopaddict

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paulo Di Canio
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Loansome Boatman
    The problem is the only way you can judge Brendan Rodgers team or any team for that matter is by comparing them to teams of the past. The past is the only statistic that you can compare something to.

If the 90s is incomparable....then if you compare Rodgers' team to Ronny Delia's team.....or Tony Mowbray's team and still complain then in my opinion your off your head.

The only criticism I have of Rodgers is the centre half situation. He could and should have sorted that out. But when you weigh that up against what he has achieved then it's hardly worth complaining about....every team and every manager has a small deficiency somewhere. His recruitment record shows two of the most successful signings in recent years.....Dembelle (worth about 10 times what we bought him for) and Sinclair (player of the year last season).

66 wins 13 draws 3 losses in total in the league since he arrived

and won every cup competition along the way.

As consistency goes.....I cant really see how you can argue with that.

Of course he could have won all 82 games in the league.....but his that is being totally unrealistic.

4. rudebhoy67 Gold Member Gold Member

I'm not comparing this team/manager to any other, I'm not even comparing us to last season because that would be unfairas thst was a perfect season. Im just saying that for the highest paid manager in celtics history i would expect to see a better return on transfers than 2 outright successes out of a dozen or so brought in over almost 2 years and 4 Windows. Also on that matter, im not sure Rodgers can be credited completely with the dembele signing. I'm sure I read that deal had been getting worked on from the end of the previous January window, but I'll give him the benefit of doubt. As for Sinclair, you're right, outstanding signing. My only slight niggle with that is he was a player Rodgers was very familiar with having worked with him previously, every player we sign can't fall under the same criteria. The rest have ranged from mediocre to anonymous ,imo, apart from maybe n'tcham and edouard who id both currently rate as 50/50. For me,this completely flies in the face of the quality over quantity we were told was the aim. Given that we may be looking at a bit of a rebuild in the summer with the possible exits of Armstrong, rogic, Roberts, dembele, edouard,the possible phasing out of lustig and losing any dead wood then there are grounds for concern.
    As for the consistency thing, you're absolutely right about the 66 wins 13 draws and 3 defeats, fantastic. Looking at this season alone then I'm sure everyone would agree performances have been hit and miss with even most of our wins, particularly at home being of the variety that are ground out. A wins a win and I'll take any at the end of the day but there just seems to be more games were we 're off the boil than on it and for me that is a worry going forward.
    It IS unrealistic to expect to have won 82 out of 82, it's also pretty facetious to point that out.
    As I said before, I'm very happy with how things are going as a whole but there are a few areas of concern, that if even partially addressed over the summer and into next season mean we will be sitting pretty.:50:

Dubliner1 and callumrae1967 like this.
  5. 4-4-2

Entitled to your opinion, a few seem unhappy with his transfer dealings and thats fine to say that as its your view.

Do you feel he's more suited to simply bring out the best in players rather than spot one with regards his dealings to date - as he does has the final say on who comes in?

callumrae1967 likes this.
  6. Blochairnbhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Sinclair
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    I still love Brendan!

7. Lilac Wine

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    :50: Didn't realise we could win the 7th with Brendan's 67th. That would be nice.

8. rudebhoy67 Gold Member Gold Member

Yes, I believe he is an excellent coach and very good at the man management part but when it comes to the recruitment aspect he may be slightly found wanting.
    He must have the final say in who comes in, maybe his trust in Lee congerton is misplaced.

9. Bhoyyo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Forrest
    Fav Celtic Song:
    jelly & icecream when rangers die
    Can't we just spend 4-7 million on a young yet established CB with heaps of sell on potential? Someone like Joe Worrall. Just splash out in the area of the park that really needs it

10. Mr. Slippyfist

Who in the name a * is Joe Worall, and why do you want us to spend £7m on him you crazy sonic boom *?

:56::56::56:

HailHoopy and freederry20 like this.
  11. BR Fenian Army

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    SCOTT BROWN SCOTT BROWN HE'S THE LEADER OF THE CELTIC
    Was on loan to Dag and Red in the national league 2 years ago. Aye true worthy player to break our transfer record on.

12. Mr. Slippyfist

Oh. I see....

13. Jordan MacGregor

Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    I’m looking forward to the summer transfer window because i’m curious to see what the recruitment will be like. However, i would like to see Jack Hendry continue to get a game and Ralston make the RB position his own like Tierney did with LB. Also looking forward to seeing young Lewis Morgan when he comes in and hope he gets some game time.

14. Sween

I think Rodgers is a very good manager but the problem in putting his success in any sort of context is due to money warping the game to such an extent.

Celtic has a complete financial monopoly in scotland. The motherwell team we are playing to secure the double treble cost something like £20k. Rodgers alone earns that it in a day. So while it is great to see celtic winning I dont think it is a case of young fans not appreciating what they have when they remain criticial. Rather they belong to a period when winning the treble is expected given the financial gulf. I dont think that is being spoiled but rather a fairly understandable expectation given celtic financial clout against all competitors.

In the exact same fashion, it would be completely inappropriate to compare celtic s european success in the 60s or even in the 00s, with our lack of success now. Because the game has changed. Teams like celtic have near zero chance of champions league success almost by definition of the game, not because Rodgers is a bad boss. So when celtic get pumped at home off the likes of PSG, there is little value in bemoaning how we used to beat the elite teams and now we dont. The game has just changed.

Personally, I think Rodgers is the best manager in scotland by a mile but I also dont think he is That good (in the context of Europes best). Likewise I think celtic are light years ahead in Scotland but measured against similar sized clubs with similar budgets I think we stack up just ok.

It isnt a case of not appreciating where we are at compared to the 90s, rather it is trying to find a benchmark worth comparing celtic to.

hiphopaddict and Dubliner1 like this.
  15. Bhoyyo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Forrest
    Fav Celtic Song:
    jelly & icecream when rangers die
    There's this thing called Google, take it you've never heard of that either?

Anyway, Worall was apparantly being tracked by Everton and Stoke, although this article is a bit old. Like I said, he's a composed CB and still very young with good sell on potential. If you don't know who he is then you're just being ignorant.

16. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    Everton bought a shitehawk centreback for £30m odd this summer. I wouldn’t be trusting their opinion.

You’ll get far more bang for your buck outside of England.

17. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

BR "I’m really looking forward to the game in relation to the passion and the noise of our supporters and what the day can bring for us."

BR on @PFAScotland Manager of the Year nomination: "I think it’s always nice and a reflection of the good work by everyone. Lots of managers have done outstanding work over the course of the season and some aren’t on the shortlist ."

BR on #CELRAN: "I’m sure it will be a brilliant atmosphere and I’m really looking forward to the game on Sunday in relation to the passion and the noise of our supporters and what the day can bring for us."

BR on the prospect of clinching a league title at Paradise: "It doesn’t matter who you clinch it against. I think what is nice is if we can win it in front of our own supporters. If we can do it at home that’ll make it special.

BR on @MDembele_10 and @StuArmstrong16's availability for Sunday: Moussa was back out training today so we’ll see over the next 24 hours how him and Stuart Armstrong are."

18. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

19. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Celtic manager Brendan Rodgers has urged his side to go out and make their own history on Sunday afternoon.

The Parkhead side can win their seventh successive title with a win against Rangers. It has been almost 40 years’ since Celtic last clinch the league with a win over the Ibrox side but Rodgers has told his players to focus on the game and let the occasion take care of itself.

“It’s like winning the Treble,” he said. “It’s one of these things people have talked about not happening for a long time.

“We can only affect modern history. We respect the great history and values of the club but our job is to create our own.

“If we can tick another box and make history, then great.

“We have four games to win the title and if we can do it in this one it would be a special day.

“I am sure it is going to be a great occasion. The noise, the atmosphere will be electric on the day like all of the games are. There will be that special added factor that we can win the league. But we have to stay calm, stay focussed on the game and that has been my approach in every one of these games.

“They are always full of emotion, full of passion but within all of that you have to perform and hopefully we will hope to do that as we have done in the previous ten games. I think, of course, you want to win the league as soon as you can. Last year we won it away at Hearts.

“If you can do it in front of your own supporters and against one of your big rivals then great. But the job is to get it done.”

Rodgers seems to hold a psychological edge over Rangers given the fact that he is undefeated in all ten games he has played against the Ibrox side. Rangers seem inhibited against Celtic who were hugely dominant at Hampden in the William Hill Scottish Cup semi-final a fortnight ago.

“We come in every day to work hard and train hard, we can’t worry too much about what the opponent is going to try to do,” said Rodgers.

“If we bring our game then we know we have a great chance of winning. Of course, the longer you go, it can get more difficult.

“Our priority is to forget about what came before and look forward to this one, which we all are.

“There’s certainly no complacency. No matter the 10 games previously, you need to go and prove yourself in the next one.

“It’s a great opportunity. In the big games it’s about staying calm - don’t feel too trapped by all of the stuff around it.

“We’ve played 10 times now and there’s been different elements and tactics to the games.

“You can only cope with what’s in front of you and prepare your players for different scenarios.

“What got lost a wee bit last time was that we actually played really well. There were a lot of reports about how Rangers played tactically but we played well and sometimes that can nullify an opponent.

“They’re tactics might have worked well on a different day but we were aggressive, we weren’t timid, in the game and we had the calmness to play football.

“That’s what we will be looking for again. We will be ready for whatever Rangers throw at us.”

Meanwhile, Mikael Lustig is fit for Sunday’s, while Moussa Dembele is expected to be make the game after missing out last weekend at Easter Road.

The French striker has been a perennial thorn in the side of Rangers with Rodgers lauding his mentality in the high profile games.

“He trained with the squad today, along with Stuart Armstrong. It was a bit unfortunate he took a bit of a knock after the last game but he looks fine.

“He’s a big game player. He performs in all the big games. Okay, sometimes at Hamilton on the astroturf, it doesn’t quite suit him, but just look at the finals, semi-finals, big games in the league.

“When the question’s asked, he performs.

20. Twisty Rodgers out !!! Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Are you trying to say Brendan Rodgers earns more in a day than the Motherwell team cost to assemble ? Does he only work 1 or 2 days a week ?

Let's see you back that up with figures.

McChiellini.. and StPauli1916 like this.