1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

[Spoiler Alert] Film reviews and ratings

Discussion in 'TC Media' started by Fancy Pants, Apr 1, 2009.

Discuss Film reviews and ratings in the TC Media area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. The Prof Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky
    You were never really here............................................awesome movie, Joaquin Phoenix delivers a stunning performance. 10/10.

2. Jeremie Frimpong

Ingrid Goes West.

I really enjoyed it. Aubrey Plaza was great in it.

3. WolfOfParkhead

Fav Celtic Player:
    All about the collective
    The Greatest showman. Genuine 9/10.

4. Avatar Daizen The Last Hunskelper Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Charlie Mulgrew
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The SAM Song
    A Quiet Place.

Thought it was really over-hyped tbh. It's an interesting concept (the characters are being stalked by aliens that are attracted to noise - so there is very little dialogue in the film), but it feels like they were so happy at coming up with that idea that they called it a day and just patched the rest of the film together with boring old alien invasion movie cliches.

I didn't think they even pulled off the concept very well either. A lot of the films marketing centres around a scene where a pregnant woman is forced to remain silent while giving birth, but it doesn't really play out like that as
    the event mostly happens off screen anyway.
    Also, the quietness of the film doesn't really work as well as it should as they constantly have the noise of gravel crunching underfoot, birdsong, squeaky floorboards etc blaring out the speakers in a half-hearted attempt at emphasising the lack of dialogue.

The film was also advertised as a very intense thriller/horror style movie, which seemed like it would have lots of lots of slowly built up, high tension, heart-in-your-throat kind of moments in it, but instead it goes for cheap jump scares nearly every time. You can even predict the next jump scare coming as they were telegraphed so obviously.

I was really excited to see this film, as the intense thriller style horror movies are one of my favourite types of film. So I was doubly disappointed, as at the beginning it showed a trailer for a sequel to one of my favourite films in the genre, The Strangers, and they appear to have completely turned their back on the dark, brooding, claustrophobic atmosphere that made the first film so great and made the sequel a typical popcorn/slasher flick.

In the end I would say A Quiet Place is worth a watch. Probably quite enjoyable as long as you don't go in with your expectations too high. The acting was great tbf, so was the score and the cinematography. I just set myself up for a fall by thinking this was going to be one of my favourite films in years.

6/10

5. Colin Robinson Gold Member Gold Member

I really enjoyed A Quiet Place to be honest. I'd probably give it an 8. Probably an extra point because John Krasinski is in it and he's been my favourite actor for ages. There were a few things I questioned or thought they could have done differently, but on the whole I thought it was really well done. Especially when he hasn't done much in the way of directing.

I made a point out of not watching any trailers for it after I'd read the initial synopsis. Maybe that helped in my enjoyment.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2018
  6. Avatar Daizen The Last Hunskelper Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Charlie Mulgrew
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The SAM Song
    I could probably sit and pick flaws in the film all day but I don't want to because I feel like it's still an enjoyable watch and they do deserve praise for trying something a bit different.

Also, hats off to the scariest movie villain of the year so far - the nail in the floorboard.

7. Taz Blind Justice Gold Member News Writer

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Feel obliged to preface this by stating both of these picked by my daughter, but my thoughts anyhow...

Midnight Sun

Teen tragi-romance about a girl who has a condition called XP (meaning sunlight causes cancer and a slew of other terminal health issues) and Patrick Schwerzenegger, who if they had used a tree trunk with a face painted on, I don't think anyone would have noticed the difference, as he really was cast for one reason and one reason alone - the name. No prizes for guessing what happens. Has a couple of moments, but nothing special.

Love, Simon

Whoever made this was clearly influenced - heavily - by the John Hughes' films of the 80's. Not that this is a bad thing, because he made some absolute classic films. Here, the story revolves around the protagonist, Simon, struggling with 'coming out' to his friends and family. While for the most part the story is pretty predictable, what I really found most interesting about the film was how it highlighted the negative aspects and dangers in which social media can potentially be used. Worth a watch.

8. WolfOfParkhead

Fav Celtic Player:
    All about the collective
    Ready player one. Amazing spectacle. Good characters. All the throwbacks are done well. Very good soundtrack. Only fault for me was the final battle was far too long and drawn out.

9. Montero Gold Member Gold Member

@Taz I've seen Love, Simon recently aswell. It's not in my usual film but hearing alot on Reddit about how much it hss helped folk come out

10. Taz Blind Justice Gold Member News Writer

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Teen films are not usually my type of film either, but now that my daughter is reaching that age, I suppose am going to have to sit through a few more of them in the coming years, lol.

But that is good to hear though, especially anyone at that age struggling, not only with accepting their own sexuality but having the comfort and confidence to be able to be honest and come out with those that matter most to them, namely their family and friends. And if this film can stand as a cultural benchmark, just as some of the John Hughes' films did in the 80's, then more power to it, as the first of it's kind to be more accessible than some of the more arthouse and indie films that have touched on this.

Montero likes this.
  11. Montero Gold Member Gold Member

:50::50:

With the success of "Call me by your name" and "Love, Simon" I think they will be looked back upon as very important films for a generation.

I seen the lead in "Love, Simon" Nick Robinson said his brother came out to him during the filming of the movie aswell. The film seems to have inspired alot of people.

12. Fontaine Gold Member Gold Member

Its funny because the final battle is pretty much the only part that comes close to resembling what happens in the book.

Still agree though, good movie!

13. ChrisMoh

Fav Celtic Player:
    Samaras
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    The florida project.definently one of last years best films.please give it a watch.8/10 for me.

its a dark comedy,set just outside disneyland.

Sonic Reducer and Taz like this.
  14. Taz Blind Justice Gold Member News Writer

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    It's a very good film and would agree with the score, but dark comedy is not exactly how I would describe it. It's pretty bleak, well written, poignant and felt very real - and perhaps lost something at the end as it left me a little lost, but a comedy it's most assuredly not.

ChrisMoh likes this.
  15. ChrisMoh

Fav Celtic Player:
    Samaras
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    its quite a serious movie with some moving scenes .reminded me of my own childhood probably why I thought it was funny.

16. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

Went to the Avengers midnight release. Have to say, it was a great watch. Really surprised at how good it was.

Good villain, great action and some funny moments. A few real shocks as well...not got a clue where they go from here.

Overkill187 and Jo-Jo-Buffon like this.
  17. ChrisMoh

Fav Celtic Player:
    Samaras
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    anything decent in cinema the now?more of an independent film guy,can be quite picky.

18. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Peter Rabbit.

19. Keano88

Just went to see it tonight and it was a lot better than I thought it was going to be.

One of the best villains ever. I didn’t feel like anyone was immune from dying when he was around.

20. Jo-Jo-Buffon

Fav Celtic Player:
    Boruc
    Fav Celtic Song:
    walk alone on a champs league night
    Agree wa Avengers went to see it wa my wee bhoy, trying to figure out where they go???