1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Derbies

Discussion in 'World Football' started by Liam Scales, Apr 7, 2018.

Discuss Derbies in the World Football area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. richardm

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mcgrain
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Might have mentioned it in the past but lived in Bermondsey, Arnold Estate just off Tooley Street in 1991 for almost a year, Millwall was the local club obviously but I never went to that many games as even back then liked to see different stuff and used to go to different grounds at the weekends, I’ve been to the New Den a few times and in fairness it hasn’t lost its edge, despite what people say about them I’ve had no issues and have always been made welcome but they are a unique breed and certainly view their club as something to defend and be proud of.

What’s happened at West Ham is tragic but in many ways they got what they deserved for putting their faith in the likes of Brady and co who were given the Olympic Stadium for a song from their Tory pals, I was their in September and it was a miserable experience, one of the worst I’ve had, that club is all but destroyed due to this fatal move...even the stewards there seemed to treat you as a hinderance and something to be treated with hostility...just shameful and almost as miserable as a recent game that I attended at Old Trafford which is another story entirely but just epitomises why I never want Celtic to have anything to do with the Premier League despite some of our fans obsession with it

StPauli1916 likes this.
  2. The IRA

Fav Celtic Player:
    Vol. Ryan Chrisite
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Beautiful Sunday - the IRA version
    Some of those local junior derbies are ferocious though.

Saw in the Derry Journal a referee was stabbed by a knife made out of play-doh just last week. Made a recovery right enough but was still shocking to hear that kind of * taking place at an under-10s charity tournament. Parents are getting too involved as well, if they can't behave how can the weans?

3. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    I do have a soft spot for them. Was the first London club I was taken to. My uncle used to take me to all different grounds down here when we weren't going up the road to see us. Going there next Friday when they play Fulham as quite a few of my pals follow Millwall and 1 of the first game's I witnessed down here was Rufus Brevett scoring a winner at the Den funnily enough..

Had a half season ticket from my pal year's ago when they got to the playoffs/Birmingham riots for free as the boy who had it wasn't even that in to football and moved away..

Definitely still has that edge, even though they have the away walkway and barely see any opposition fan's as they go straight in through London Bridge..

West Ham is finished, zero edge. Done work for 1 of the owners so know first hand just how much of a crafty sly * him and his family are. Their support was never big enough for that capacity either and match day round there is weird because it's practically on a shopping centre and you'll see home and away fan's all strolling through Westfield shopping..

richardm likes this.
  4. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    Very good that..

The exact kinda reasoning the op was looking for..

5. Diegan

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Geography is the main driver in many places, but class lines usually follow geography. I think that's more where a lot of the fervor comes from. In Buenos Aires for instance, River/Boca is the biggest expression of the North/South (rich/poor) divide. But really I think it's just an example of how easy it is for humans to be tribal against each other. People can look the same, talk the same, have the same religion, live in the same neighborhoods, do the same job, be in the same social class, drink the same beer, go to the same schools, have the same politics, and still hate each other.

Liam Scales likes this.
  6. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    Aye, that was pretty much my question, why? Some I understand, like Boca/River, us and them. But Spurs/Arsenal, Liverpool/Everton, thats just football innit?

7. Diegan

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Yep. And even within that you can get different sets of supporters who are fighting themselves. We really are embarrassingly tribal sometimes.

MacEwan and Liam Scales like this.
  8. richardm

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mcgrain
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    I am sure I’m right in thinking that Millwall were actually formed by Scottish exiles living in London and working at the docks, that’s why they used the Lion Rampant as the club badge.

I still know although haven’t seen in a few years a pair of old school bushwackers, one of them used to come up to Parkhead now and again, he maintains that one of the toughest battles they’ve ever had at the old den was with the Hibs casuals in a friendly, by all accounts Millwall had no idea that Hibs had numbers like that and were travelling

9. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    They were i think mate aye..

They have a mix of Huns types but I know some that also go up to watch us fairly regularly as well..

Incident the weekend that quite a few will be getting door's taken off soon for..

10. Bayern Bru Gold Member Gold Member

I went to an Ayrshire derby once, those * hate each other and I’m not even sure why.

11. StPauli1916 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Oliver Tebilly
    Fav Celtic Song:
    George and Pop
    I don't know if anyone remembers but a few years ago Sky tried to sell the Sunderland v Newcastle game as a re-run of the English Civil War. Probably after reading something like this

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2005/oct/23/newsstory.sport

Having said that I went to one a few years ago and don't remember many folk cutting around dressed as Roundheads and Cavaliers so I'm no sure.

Just read this as well

https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...le-fans-celebrate-relegation-stadium-of-light

Last edited: Apr 12, 2018
    Liam Scales likes this.