1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Scott Brown

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by hkbhoy, May 15, 2007.

Discuss Scott Brown in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Bobo_ Gold Member Gold Member

2. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

Mr Shelby and Lilac Wine like this.
  3. PEI#1

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Broad Black Brimmer
    With regards to the assault inflicted on our captain and Celtic legend Scott Brown by the coward that is Ross County captain Andrew Davies

The differences between the two are all too obvious.

One is as hard as nails, a leader of men and a fantastic example to the next generation of football players and fans alike.

A man who shows how to play the game hard but fairly (99% of the time), take the hard knocks when meted out in his direction and never shy away in a tackle.

He continues to play the game the way it was meant to be played and doesn't roll around as though he's been shot like an increasing number of players would do now-a-days...even when his nuts have been crushed by a massive studded boot :eek1: ( although on that occasion he rolled a wee bit )

Furthered by his demeanour, he shows the steeliness and determination required to be a top player at Celtic FC, loved by a huge number of our fans and appreciated by most of them for his dogged endeavour to produce the best possible result for a team he so obviously loves and leads with gallus aplomb.

Oh.....and the other guy's just an :asshole2:

Hail, Hail Scott Brown.....a Celtic Legend in the here and now.

Lilac Wine, Tommy25 and Los Palmas 7 like this.
  4. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

5. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

FORMER Celtic manager Martin O’Neill has revealed that current Parkhead captain Scott Brown was on his radar before he left the club in 2005.

O’Neill will bring the Republic of Ireland side to Celtic Park to play in Brown’s testimonial on May 20th but the 66-year-old will require no introduction to the current Celtic midfielder.

Brown will be honoured with the game after a decade at the club but it is his early career that left its mark on O’Neill.

The former Celtic manager spent five years at Celtic and he recalled the influence that both Brown and Kevin Thomson yielded on an exciting Hibernian team.

“I absolutely remember Scott Brown when he was a young lad coming through at Hibs,” said O’Neill. “Both he and Kevin Thomson were the shining lights of what was a very good young Hibs team at the time.

“Not long after I left Gordon Strachan signed Scott but he was a player who was most definitely on our radar.

“He did really well for Hibs and what I seem to recall is that he wasn’t afraid to get in about it when we played them. He wasn’t intimidated by some of the reputations that would have been in our team.

“We had a squad of experienced international players who had been there and done it but the likes of Scott had no qualms about getting right into it. I would absolutely remember that much.

“I would certainly not take the credit for getting him to Celtic – that belongs to Gordon and those at the club who facilitated that – but he was most certainly a player that we were interested in and aware of his potential.

“There was talk of Rangers too being interested in both players and we knew that he was a player who had the raw potential to go on and have a very good career, which I think we can say he has.

“In this day and age it is a phenomenal time to have served at the football club and I am sure there will be many who will look to show their appreciation when the time comes around.”

And O’Neill will look to bring a strong squad with him as the Irish side head to Glasgow for the game. There had been some suggestions that Liverpool would provide the opposition for the game but O’Neill has revealed that he was thrilled when he was offered the chance to return to Celtic Park.

“John Delaney [chief executive of the FAI] came to me a few weeks back and said that there was a chance to play this game and immediately I was interested,” said O’Neill. “The only slight concern for us is that some of our players may well be involved in the play-offs for their club sides but we will be bringing as strong a team as we can.”

Lilac Wine likes this.
  6. gunt

He had a lot of detractors at first but I just love the spirit of the guy. Every great team here a player like him

TheHappyLoss likes this.
  7. Spring Time Gold Member Gold Member

* me, where you been? Should have known you would be about for his testimonial. :50:

8. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

BRENDAN Rodgers insists that Celtic captain Scott Brown should be admired and held up as an example for young Scottish players instead of being an object of envy in the domestic game.

In Saturday’s win over Ross County, the skipper was the victim of a vicious stamp by his counterpart, Andrew Davies, an act which saw the Staggies captain receive his marching orders. It was the third time someone has been sent off for a foul on Brown in the space of four league games.

After the game, the manager spoke out strongly about the incident, describing it as ‘disgraceful’ and ‘dangerous’. The matter was raised again at today’s media conference at Lennoxtown as the Hoops prepared for Wednesday’s home match with Dundee.

And when asked if the former Scotland internationalist was considered a scalp for opposition players, the manager launched a passionate defence of the 32-year-old, hailing his qualities and fairness on the pitch.

“I don’t think it’s just from players,” he said. “In my time up here, I’ve seen a lot of envy towards Scott Brown. I see it in certain media sectors, I see it in the playing sector and I also see it from managers. He’s a player for me that, instead of being envious over, is a player that really needs to be emulated in his qualities.

“What rarely gets talked about is what a good player he is. I’ve been fortunate enough to have worked in the Championship, and the middle section and top end of the English Premier League. And this is a player that goes right in the top end of the Premier League. But that rarely gets mentioned.

“Technically, he’s so good with the ball in the position he plays and, tactically, he’s so good in his ability to read the game and to be in the positions to recover the ball and make attacks. He stamps his personality and authority on the game.

“I had it with Luis Suarez. Every ground he went to, he got it," continued the Hoops boss. "That only raised his performance level and Scott’s the same, in terms of that mentality and his personality in the games.

"When you’re that aggressor and that type, you’re liable to be a target at times. He deals with that, he copes with that, but he’s also a fair and honest player. The concern and worry for me for him or for any other player is when that oversteps the mark.

“Instead of being envious of him, which there's a lot of and not just from players - in my time here, I’ve seen comments from coaches and managers from within the game and in the media - we should try and emulate what his qualities are. If you can produce Scottish players like that, then you’d have some really good players.

“I read one report about him being mediocre. The definition of mediocre for me is average, ordinary. He’s not that, just because he chose to stay in Scotland and play. He’s a top-class player, who’s at one of the world’s biggest clubs and performing very well. He’s a very good player and hopefully he’ll continue to be so for us.”

Last edited: Apr 3, 2018
    Random Review and cidermaster like this.
  9. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

10. Maximillian

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA,Willie Maley
    Guy on clyde phone in was right , Brown has been a top performer for club for seasons now , hall of famer and probably Poty again this season..other countrys celebrate their best players but not here in Scotland they seem to try and put them down especially as hes a very successfull CELTIC player.

bagforlife and McChiellini.. like this.
  11. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    Absolutely brilliant from Brendan..

Calling them all out..

It had to be done..

bagforlife and muffitO'tea like this.
  12. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

From Brendan's PC today.

And some good words about SB at the end.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2018
    Bobo_ and Liam Scales like this.
  13. HoopswithPride

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul "The Maestro" McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Hail, Hail
    Listened to Radio Shortbread tonight. The home of any out of work over the hill ex footballer or EBT recipient, which allegedly claims to be "the home of Scottish Football"

We had Billy " Big Lugs of Cumnock" Dodds lubricating the airwaves with comparisons of Brown sending off at the end of last season. To the actions of that * wit from Saturday. Even when the pictures and actions of Davies are as clear as day, we have individuals almost offering excuses for his actions. Which they then tag-line with " doesn't make what he's done acceptable"

The problem. This kind of talk does muddy the waters and does give reasoning for the knuckle-draggers who hold back the evolution of society, to justify such action.

The situation is quite simple. Andrew Davies had every intention of injuring a fellow professional. His actions were cowardly, of a shitebag and an all-round *. His callous action could have very easily resulted in a more serious injury. The thing is he didn't even need to be involved in the first place. The play was dead as the ref had blown for a foul. So he had no footballing reason to get involved. And as per, Scottish Football appear to find this kind of action acceptable. His feet shouldn't touch another football park in Scotland this season. And if Ross County think that Davies is captain material or indeed worthy of representing the club. Then they've went well down in my estimations.

Folk don't watch or pay good money to see quality football stifled in such manners. Yet week after week, referees in Scotland facilitate this pish. Tonight we had so called football experts facilitate this pish in a lengthy discussion. Dodds inference of Davies being " a hardy guy" and "not one to pull out of tackles" is irrelevant.

Tonight for me this was a snippet of everything that is wrong with the football media and with the view of where Scottish Football finds itself. Too many knuckle-draggers and "natural order" fiends in the wrong position.

Brendan Rodgers has transformed Celtic on and off the field, turned us into the standard of attainment for the rest of the country. Yet we have no-marks like Dodds et al taking to a public platform to criticise him. These same individuals instead of aspiring to attain or reach the standards we have set, are blinkered by the short-term pursuit of trying by fair means or foul, to stop us on a one off basis. Meanwhile long-term we continue to pull away on and off the field.

Rodgers has done more for Scottish Football in two years, than Dodds and Co have done in their lifetimes. That's the sad indictment for fuckwits like Dodds,Alex Rae and these other mutants who wax lyrical about Scottish Footballs ills.

Rodgers mentioned about people being envious of Brown. He's correct. They're also envious of what he has achieved.

Heb Celt, Pablo87 and Random Review like this.
  14. Pacific Ocean Blue

Wits a Billy Dodds?

Doogs. likes this.
  15. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

SB: "There’s been a couple of harsh tackles the last few games, but I don’t know if it’s on me or people mistiming them really badly

SB on Davies sending off: "If I’d done that it would have been a lot worse and it would have been in papers for weeks and weeks. I’d have got a 5 or 6 game ban."

SB: "I’ve been playing football for a long time. I’m sure sometimes the media is for you and against you. For me it doesn’t bother me. Can’t read, won’t read and not a big social media person either."

SB: "There’s been a lot of comments about me but I enjoy coming along playing football, lucky enough to come into a great club and winning trophies and games. There’s an expectation to win every game and for me I just continue to do my game."

16. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

17. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Scott on last weeks tackle

18. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

SCOTT BROWN last night described Andrew Davies as "cowardly" as he accused Ross County's captain of deliberately trying to injure him.

The Celtic captain was left writhing in agony last week when Davies stuck his boot into Brown's groin as the midfielder lay on the ground and with the ball yards away.

The County defender was sent off and will serve a two-game suspension; a punishment Brown felt would have been far more severe if he had been found guilty of such a crime.

There has been a lot of talk about the incident over the last seven days but this was the first time Brown had his say - and he did not mince his words.

“Looking back, it’s quite bad," he said. "At the time I didn’t realise how bad it was because I slid in with Billy Mckay, we were arm in arm, and I fell over, pushed the ball and he’s waited for us and stood on top of me.

“But let’s be honest. If that was me I’m getting a solid five-game ban and probably not playing again for the rest of the season. I’d be all over the papers for weeks on end and he’s got a two game ban.

“Jeez, I kicked Neymar on the back, my big toe almost touched him, and I got a three-game ban. So there are rules for some and not others.

“As everyone says it’s part and parcel of the game going in for a tackle but to do it cowardly is not great."

Asked whether Davis had made an attempt to apologise, Brown added: "No. Nothing. That would be the manly thing to do."

Brown was angered at the leniency of the ban which the SFA did not, as some expected, extend due to the seriousness of the challenge.

And the 32-year-old was not happy at suggestions he somehow deserved being on the receiving end for once.

Brown said: "I think it's different rules for different players. I think because everyone has been talking about my tackling but I’ve never actually deliberately stood on anyone’s hee-haws before, but he has done me a favour because I didn’t want any more kids so it saved me going to the hospital.

“For me, I play hard but I play fair for most of the time. Now and then you mistime one, get booked, and it’s fair play.

“But I don’t every stand on anyone, especially where he stood on me as well because he’s waited, the ball has gone flying past and he’s properly went for it.

“You can see on his face he’s just walked off and for him being a captain of a team in a relegation battle, who probably has players looking up to him as captain, for him to do that is probably not what Ross County need at the moment.

“You tackle. I slide tackle. I might miss it now and again but I’ve never gone in waist height to properly hurt someone or stood on them.

“People may say I deserve to get it because I give it out but I give out to go and win the ball, to win it hard and now and then you mistimed a tackle but that’s part and parcel of the game.”

Craig Levein, the Hearts manager, said earlier in the season that Scottish football needed protecting from Brown.

"He seems to be talking just to talk for the sake of it," said the Celtic captain.

“But, for me, I play week-in, week-out, I play hard, and get booked now and then. I’ve been suspended once this season, whereas Graeme Shinnie has had two suspensions already.

“So I don’t know where he is getting those accusations from.

“I will maybe have a couple of mistimed tackles but it’s never a lunge or a two-foot stand on someone’s groin."

Random Review likes this.
  19. Marty McFly Whoa, this is heavy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Good on him, and * spot on.

Calling out the * coward for what he is.

Random Review, Keano88 and Bhoyo87 like this.
  20. Bhoyo87

Fav Celtic Player:
    Leigh Griffiths
    Fav Celtic Song:
    A soldiers song
    Good on Scott for telling it like it is, at the end of the day he's a top professional and he's just putting things over in his own perspective, using his experience over the years and putting it into words, it doesn't phase him.