1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Canada or Australia or Uk

Discussion in 'TalkCeltic Pub' started by CorkBhoy88, Dec 13, 2011.

Discuss Canada or Australia or Uk in the TalkCeltic Pub area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Lecs

I read through this entire thread, vaguely remembering commenting on it and then I saw my own comments.

6 years ago I commented, I was 21 and a wee * basically. Don't get me wrong I understand why I was frustratred in Canada because I could only study and couldn't work anywhere outside of my uni campus so never had any * money to do that much. Where is fun when you're skint?

Anyway, moved back to UK and 4 years later I am looking at moving back to Canada now. One thing I always said about Canada is the economy was * booming. Everybody I knew at uni ended up getting really good jobs and just having a high standard of life. Aye they paid a * load for rent/car insurance/bills etc but the wages balanced themselves out.

In Glasgow most jobs I'm looking at are 18K, 20K a year and most of them are * call centres. It's a * time to look for jobs don't get me wrong, but solidly been applying since November and have very little back. Got a solid CV, bilingual and a business degree from a Scottish uni and marketing diploma from a Canadian uni.

All of my mates in Scotland live with their parents bar a few, some rent but nobody seems to have a decent quality of living here. Everybody I know my age doesn't have a pot to * in and can't really afford to go on holiday. Month to month they are * skint.

Now maybe that's just my particular network of mates, but most of these guys are degree educated * smart outgoing guys. It's mental.

Where as I look at my mates in Canada, guys in my uni football team etc. Most of them have big detached houses, go on 3 4 holidays a year, comfy as * financially and are in growing fast paced careers where they are managers and directors.

These guys are ages with me, maybe a couple years older, 28 29 30. I know them well enough not to just see posts on facebook and make assumptions, as I know loads of * who just post * and pretend to have this big life so it's not a case of that.

I just don't see the value in struggling my bollocks off month to month without any sense of it getting better. That's why I am looking to get to absolute *. Fed up with the doom and gloom and lack of ambition here, * weather, huns and neds.

I know that life isn't just about big houses, big cars, holidays and all that *. But it's nice to have the choices to do nice things. Instead of barely being able to pay bills, a chinese takeaway is a big bonus and a present to myself. Nae quality of life, dug pish!

I will miss the mighty Celtic though.

2. Colin Robinson Gold Member Gold Member

I've been applying for jobs since November as well and I've had next to nothing back from anyone in the UK. Masters Degree with distinction in Business Management and almost 3 years of professional experience before that, although not completely relevant for business or marketing positions.

Been applying for jobs abroad as there just seems to be more available. Had an absolute nightmare of an interview with PwC in Luxembourg last week though. Been applying to Singapore, Hong Kong, Canada, the US, Germany. Everywhere essentially. They all seem to offer a better standard of living.

Lecs likes this.
  3. cidermaster Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    That Depeche Mode when we score!!
    Where the * is Cheshire??:56:

4. Lecs

Yeah it's pretty grim mate. I find it funny looking at the salary of jobs and then what their minimum requirements are. Not even exaggerating, some jobs require 4-5 years experience in this or that, loads of other * and a master's degree and then the salary they are giving you is 22k lol.. I'm like ffs after tax that's about 1400 a month or so.. * all really for how skilled you need to be.

I applied for a job that asked for people who spoke English and Spanish in a sales role.. the salary was 21k.. so I thought fair enough, found out I had to speak Italian and French as well. So I'm meant to know 4 languages and have 2 years of sales experience and you're only giving me 21k a year?? I don't know any * in the world who has all of that never mind kicking about in Glasgow haha.

Tried chatting to my parents about my generation and what it's like now and they don't get it. They earned what I earn now 25 years ago when they finished uni.. and they bought their first house in 1998 for 59k.. they sold it in 2014 for 145k.. so I even used that example of me trying to do what they did when they were 28.. earning 18k a year, my flat cost 40k fs, I would have no chance at a semi detached for example.

It's just * man, it's hard to be positive in life at things like this. I would advise anybody to get to * if they have a chance. Scotland will always be here.

Did you go to Luxembourg for the job interview?? PwC are an accounting firm aren't they??

Keep cracking on mate and something good will come up, I'm hoping after we get into April the job market will start really opening up again.

I've got a call with an HR director and headhunter next week, a guy I know very well in the Toronto area. I've sent him my CV and my old Canadian visa etc so I'm hoping he can do me a turn and get me out of this * situation.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2018