1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

What's our best formation?

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Bertie Cauld, Mar 19, 2018.

Discuss What's our best formation? in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Bertie Cauld

Fav Celtic Player:
    King of Kings
    Personally I would go back to 4-2-3-1 from last year when we were blowing teams away in the league. I think we are a more attacking team with this formation.
    The problem though is RB and Sinclair's dip in form in the left wing.
    Of course it's Brendans choice but we haven't been scoring as many goals this season albeit we have had some injuries to key attacking players.

2. El Donoghue

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The Celtic Symphony
    Also reckon 4-2-3-1 is when we're at our most effective. Much better playing wingers than wing backs and the 4-2-3-1 gets the best out of players like Rogic.

RB is an issue, the Gamboa situation is a complete mystery as far as I'm concerned and Lustig is finished. Sinclair being out of form has hampered us to a certain extent but we have a few players that could do a job at LW.

Lilac Wine and Bertie Cauld like this.
  3. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    4-3-3 with 2 functioning full backs and out and out wingers going on the outside and inside. Brown sitting and someone feeding the CAM and running beyond beside.

4. Bertie Cauld

Fav Celtic Player:
    King of Kings
    I think when we play 3 at the back we pass the ball sideways alot more that we did with 4-2-3-1, which makes our build up play alot slower giving our opposition more time to set themselves up defensively.

Lilac Wine likes this.
  5. Lilac Wine

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    It might give us more opportunity to pass it forward rather than finding all avenues blocked off and fannying about the back until the keeper has to boot it anyway. We definitely need more of a connection between defence and midfield.

Mind you I think it's down to a lack of movement no matter what formation we play at the moment. The Edouard goal against the huns was a good example of how we can move it forward from defence to attack, the classic counter when the other team is out of position and struggling to get back into it.

It's really weird criticising us this season though cause we've played some mental games like nearly getting a point off Bayern and wrapping up the Europa place in Germany with a game to spare basically. Then beating the huns with 10 men plus making Aberdeen look 1st Division.

Something weird is going on with the draws and it has to be motivational. Losing against Hearts and Killie isn't such a big deal, only Barca are unbeaten out of all the top leagues in Europe this season.

I wonder how Arsenal played after they had their Invincible season. I mean the quality of players they had then was world class so maybe they did ok but did they win the league or did they also suffer a hangover?

6. El Donoghue

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The Celtic Symphony
    Definitely agree. If we played a back 4 and had two full backs bombing on (i.e. Tierney and a new RB) we basically have a third centre back anyway in Scott Brown. Especially at home when Brown and the centre backs have so much time.

Playing 3 CB's and then having Brown coming deep is just a complete waste, plus having to rely on players like Boyata and Simunovic to start attacks isn't ideal

Lilac Wine and Bertie Cauld like this.
  7. Bertie Cauld

Fav Celtic Player:
    King of Kings
    I think when we play 3 at the back sometimes the CB's get confused about who is picking up the runners.
    Sometimes a simple ball over the top can take our full defence out.

8. El Donoghue

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The Celtic Symphony
    Aye I've noticed that, plus with there being 3 CB's instead of 2 it's much easier for a defender on the ball to move it sideways rather than look for a forward pass into Ntcham or push it out wide for example.

9. StPauli1916 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Oliver Tebilly
    Fav Celtic Song:
    George and Pop
  10. Goggzy60

4-1-2-3 for me if we actually had a decent RB but Gamboa seems nowhere near the team. So maybe a lopsided 3-3-3-1
    GK Gordon
    RCB Ajer
    LCB Compper
    LB KT
    RWB Forrest
    RDM Brown
    LCM Ntcham
    RW Roberts
    CAM Rogic
    LF Edouard
    ST Dembele

Lopsided as f**k formation might be decent on FM

Last edited: Mar 19, 2018
  11. Tim-Time 1888 Always look on the bright side of Life Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Enrico Annoni
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Hail Hail
    That you Brendan ..

The main man will be back in a week or so, so there is no need to worry :62: