1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

How does this season compare to recent seasons?

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Jeremie Frimpong, Feb 20, 2018.

Discuss How does this season compare to recent seasons? in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Bertie Cauld

Fav Celtic Player:
    King of Kings
    Once we beat Zenit, the Sheep then the manky mob it will be party mode.
    Need to remember McInnes is a bottler and Murty is Murty, we will win the league.
    The scottish cup is the dodgy competition, anything can happen in a one off game, I'd be more concerned playing kilmarnock or Hibs than the other 2.
    Whatever happens its only the start of the Brendan Rodgers era and we will have many trophies and European nights ahead.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2018
  2. GazF1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jonathan Gould
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Bella Ciao
    Think the outcome of tonight will have a big bearing on how everyone will view this season. Difference between a good and great season I'd say.

Another Treble would be brilliant but if we go out I wouldn't say we've made any progress in Europe which would be disappointing.

3. Sean Daleer Free Palestine Gold Member

It literally impossible to say we haven't made progress in Europe this season. No matter what happens tonight.

Bertie Cauld, JamesM09 and scotsbhoy1 like this.
  4. GazF1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jonathan Gould
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Bella Ciao
    We played better stuff last year. Losing all 3 home games and only scoring one goal wasn't good enough. We only won against a managerless Anderlecht who were midtable at the time. Win a knockout game and that makes all the difference.

5. Sean Daleer Free Palestine Gold Member

Ah yes. The old managerless Anderlecht excuse is the only reason we destroyed them 0-3 away from home.

Come on tae * mate...

Jeremie Frimpong and StPauli1916 like this.
  6. JamesM09

I think you have a point although it is debatable.

As easy as it is to slate Anderlecht a 3-0 away win for Celtic in UCL is exceptional, regardless of opposition.

Also the games at home have stories behind them. PSG was understandably a write off, we played really well vs Bayern but had Bitton at CB due to injury crisis (ended up costing us a draw) and Anderlecht we obviously just played to qualify rather than win.

That being said, we still finished on 3 points, and last season we were a baw hair away from beating BMG.

I think beating Zenit at home has edged this season ahead.

Hopefully we win tonight and it can categorically put the debate to bed.

GazF1888 and StPauli1916 like this.
  7. Bertie Cauld

Fav Celtic Player:
    King of Kings
    Why down play our Anderlecht result? It was one of our best away displays in recent memory. We beat Zenit fair and square in the first leg as well, it is about time we started talking up the team and looking positive. Look Porto got pumped 5-0 at home, Basel got beat 4-0 at home, it's not only us that get a doing off the elite clubs. We are making progress the fact that we have one foot in the last 16 of the Europa League shows this.

GazF1888, StPauli1916 and Sean Daleer like this.
  8. MacEwan Himmy Butler Gold Member

You won’t care when we win the league though.

9. Blochairnbhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Sinclair
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    if as expected we win the championship then yes no one will give a flying *. However should the worst happen and the championship is lost then the inquest would begin...

10. MacEwan Himmy Butler Gold Member

I think the inquest would be skipped and we’d be going straight to riots.

Blochairnbhoy likes this.
  11. GazF1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jonathan Gould
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Bella Ciao
    No doubt it was a top win mate, I was buzzing with it. Just put a dampener on the Group when that was the only game we took points from, losing to Anderlecht at home was poor but we did achieve our primary goal of 3rd. I'm just thinking of the way we took to City at home, we didn't get the win we deserved but we were brilliant that night. Should have got the victory in Gladbach too.

We've got Europa League football this time so it's obviously progress on paper, just not sure if it's the same on the park. If we can make it through tonight it'll be a massive step forward.

12. WolfOfParkhead

Fav Celtic Player:
    All about the collective
    Seasons a success and improvement in my eyes if we go through tonight. Can sit here and argue about how we got to the last 32 this year and how it compared to last year's groups all day.
    Through tonight and we've undoubtedly improved in the only place we could have compared to last year

GazF1888 and StPauli1916 like this.
  13. jpr21

Fav Celtic Player:
    mcgregor
    Fav Celtic Song:
    willie maley
    Spent alot of time today watching highlights and clips from last season on YT. We played some incredible football. What stood out for me is the influence Roberts and Rogic had , those two looked our standout players based on all the highlights.

14. TheHappyLoss

Europe has been utterly depressing

15. Jo-Jo-Buffon

Fav Celtic Player:
    Boruc
    Fav Celtic Song:
    walk alone on a champs league night
    Seems flat

16. andybhoy94 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll never walk alone
    We look like a team that peaked too soon, getting beyond christmas in europe was fantastic but this season we've just been sleepwalking towards success and performance wise I think we looked much better in europe last season tbh.

17. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

One thing that should be banned is cringey press conferences/media quotes about how the focus is now all on the treble, expecting to pull away in the League or how the experience will help us for Europe next season.

Far too much of it has went on in the past, fed up hearing empty, repetitive promises. Time to start doing our talking on the pitch.