1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Solo: A Star Wars Story

Discussion in 'TC Media' started by CalgaryBhoy, Feb 6, 2018.

Discuss Solo: A Star Wars Story in the TC Media area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Momo Sylla

On everything aside from the use of CGI in the prequels. They built a lot more practical sets than you'd think although it's not always noticeable. I'm not one of those who disnisses them but they are a complete mess topped only by TLJ.

2. Taz Blind Justice Gold Member News Writer

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Think that is a bit lax, to simply say it's better without saying why. I gave a cognitive case as to why the storytelling was superior back when, and conceded that the visual effects have improved, which, over the course of 40yrs, is to be expected. But to simply say it's better without qualifying that evaluation is shallow and schoolyard.

Yes; films are subjective but essentially it is an artform about storytelling. We are not talking about David Lynch surrealism here, but essentially an intergalactic fantasy story. In particular regards to TLJ, and especially with the resources available, it does not excuse poor (at best) / non-existent (at worst) character development, terrible dialogue, misplaced humour or plotholes big enough to fit a Super Star Destroyer through among a catalogue of other issues that characterize the new films.

evilbunny1991 likes this.
  3. Account Deactivated Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    The new hope and Empire strikes back just wont be topped for me no matter how much money, CGI or great actors they include, you cant beat the story, im also a vid fan of return of the sith i think that really really saved the prequels. Rouge one and Force awakens are good films and i enjoyed them but the others not included i cannot stand and the last jedi is an absolute disgrace of a film, literally like watching a childs movie, may as well of called it Gender Neutral wars with the * they included im surprised Luke didnt * dab at any point. *

4. molloy1888

You are not wrong Minty, (or shallow or schoolyard, lol). I respect that your opinion is different from mine and your opinion is valid and true as it's based on your experience.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2018
  5. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    They're better (for me) because I got more enjoyment from watching them. I don't need to delve any deeper than that, as enjoyment is all I look for in a film.

6. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Haha thanks.

7. M 67

Boba Fett movie hopefully next, but one that’s an 18 and gritty like the game that was meant to be coming out. None of this cheesy *

*1313 was the game I meant btw

Rendog and ChrisMoh like this.
  8. hiphopaddict

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paulo Di Canio
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Loansome Boatman
    Now that disney has got a hold of this franchise it'll never end. The cow will be milked at least twice a year for all eternity.

The Last Jedi was awful, truely awful. All that being able to appear somewhere else like a hologram through the power of the force was bollocks. Like all of a sudden Jedi's can do this when it wasnt even mentioned in any of the other films ever.

I dont hold out much hope for this Han Solo movie either. Disney will destroy the credibility of the franchise guaranteed.

Taz likes this.
  9. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Were force chokes, force ghosts and jedi mind tricks used before? No. Noone bitched about them then.

Furthermore,

Anyone who complains about the hologram can view that link, then stfu.

Overkill187 likes this.
  10. Taz Blind Justice Gold Member News Writer

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Literally all of those were used in the original trilogy. Un fact they were all used in the very first movie.

ChrisMoh likes this.
  11. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    People were complaining about new powers not being set up or coming from no-where. They weren't set up in the original triliogy either. It's just people moaning for the sake of moaning.

12. Taz Blind Justice Gold Member News Writer

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    No, there is a pretty big difference. Leia doing Mary Poppins, without oxygen and in the vacuum of space (not to mention the crew opening the door to let her back in and yet no loss of pressure, noone sucked out, etc) is just utter nonsense.

A Jedi astrally projecting across the galaxy and to be so realistic and not just a glamour, if this was in fact a thing and so believable, then no Jedi would ever have need leave the Jedi Temple ever, if they could have just done that. Just project themselves across the galaxy to deal with whatever issues needed to be dealt with, from the comfort of home... Nevermind he is using the wrong lightsaber in that scene. It's bollocks.

Its not moaning for the sake of moaning. Its pointing out flaws because they are bullshit. The director made a terrible movie, just the worst. Even taking the Jedi/force elements out of it, TLJ was terrible. There is just no defending how bad it really is, aside from the technical elements of sound design, visual effects etc.

evilbunny1991 likes this.
  13. WolfOfParkhead

Fav Celtic Player:
    All about the collective
    Personally think the biggest problem is there bringing too many out quickly at the moment. Have to say I was surprised when I saw it's in May and not December. 2 movies in 6 months is a lot when people had to wait near 30 years for another one. I won't complain myself but I can see how it annoys the hardcore support

14. hiphopaddict

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paulo Di Canio
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Loansome Boatman

Its not people moaning for the sake of moaning. People genuinely think that the Last Jedi is pish. And with good reason.

The return of Luke Skywalker was disappointing beyond belief and there is a hundred more questions posed that Disney will not answer. Who is this Rey? Why does she have incredible force powers??? How did the First Order rise from the ashes of the Empire??? Where the * did they get all their stormtroopers if they were all blown up on Death Star 2?? Who the * is/was this Snoke character??? And where the * was he during the time of the prequel trilogy and the original trilogy????

It would appear that Star Wars is doing a 'Lost' i.e the writers are writing a lot of * that they dont intend explaining. Creating a lot of questions, just for the sake of it, without any intention of ever answering them.

George Lucas must have been cringing watching that

Taz likes this.
  15. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

Star Trek is better anyway innit

16. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

All the while making a * entertaining TV show with fantastic characters.

#LostCSC

17. evilbunny1991

Fav Celtic Player:
    KI
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the People Sing
    WOW. The original trilogy are some of the best of all time. The newest three aren't a patch on them.

Taz likes this.
  18. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    In your opinion.

19. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    It's a movie about magical space ninjas and aliens, so who really cares how far fetched that scene seems?
    Considering it killed Luke, means that's the reason it isn't done. It's even hinted at during the conversation between Kylo Ren and Rey. "It would kill you". Your argument against it is bollocks.
    It really is, especially when the director proved that he had done his research into the Star Wars canon. I've never said it's a perfect film so of course it has flaws, but it isn't a bad film.

We'll need to agree to disagree because I think you're wrong.

You say it was terrible, I disagree. Myself and thousands of others enjoyed it. I can defend it because I enjoyed it. If I enjoy it, it's a good film, to me and beyond that, nothing else matters with regards to a film.

20. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    I meant moaning about new elements of the force. People are entitled to their opinion on the film, doesn't bother me.

Those questions may be answered in future films. Even during the original triliogy, not every nugget of information was spoon fed to the audience.
    Impossible to tell if they were just creating questions for the * of it.