1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

The Weightloss/ Getting Fit Thread!

Discussion in 'TalkCeltic Pub' started by Joe T, Dec 29, 2011.

Discuss The Weightloss/ Getting Fit Thread! in the TalkCeltic Pub area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. smokie899

Fav Celtic Player:
    s.brown
    Just been told I have a rare heart diease and after a few heart attacks and my loop recorder (implant that reads my heart beats and rhythm) been close to going into cardiac arrest several times, hence the implantable defib I now have in which is set to blow me into next year if it detects 200+ bpm. lol
    Banned from football and kayaking ffs.
    Doctors orders is no more than a brisk walk on flat ground. Piling on the weight ffs

2. smokie899

Fav Celtic Player:
    s.brown
    Haven't a foggy what that is. I'm More of go onto a pitch and chase a ball about like a man possessed type lol

3. Dazza

Fav Celtic Player:
    Boruc
    Lifting weights will get your heart rate up... Stick to walking like the doctor ordered

4. TimFloyd Gold Member

It’s a weight program plenty on google under push pull legs, have you weight trained before? What age are you?

Only thing that will tone up muscle is lifting weights or maybe at a push a bodyweight routine.

If your looking to lose bodyfat then do what the doctor ordered, a brisk one hour walk everyday coupled with a healthy clean diet + caloric deficit will produce decent results after a few months.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2018
  5. smokie899

Fav Celtic Player:
    s.brown
    I'm 41 and went from an absolute machine muscle wise, mind not like these beefed up freaks lol and was fit and flexible as *. Played 7s and 5s football 3-4 times a week for years. Was a self employed tiler for 16 years and a good one so always had work and 6-7 day weeks 12-14 shifts were the norm.
    Most weeks (6 days) I could knock out two bathrooms. An average bathroom is 30-40 sq meters. So that's around 30-40 boxes of tiles weighing anywhere from 15 to 25kg, 4 20kg bags of adhesive, 2 10kg bags of grout, my tools weigh about 50kg.
    First thing I have to do is bring them all up to the bathroom which usually involves stairs and tiles and addy are usually kept in a garage or shed.
    I've to lift all this up beside the work area, then take out toilet and sink and that's before I even start prepping the surface which would usually mean taking a hammer and chisel and scrapper to the walls and floors to clean of old adhesive and try and level out. Then I have to lift them all again a few boxes at a time into the bathroom. Then lift every tile and lay.
    Hard work but I loved it as it paid well. But for me it was the excersise to. Most weeks I had to do that twice. When I used to get * off I always said to myself that 'most people pay to go to a gym, I get paid for going to the gym'.
    Brain heamorraghe and 7 strokes put an end to that. Have a bad left side and a spastic left lower leg and foot and my toes are all clawed, so walking * hurts, but that's what the doctor says I can only do now due to this ARVC diagnosis.
    So the muscle tone is fading and I'm piling on the weight again ffs.
    Dieting/good eating I can do, but these wobbly bits bug me.
    Started playing golf but can only do 9 holes before the pain becomes to much. But the weather has put paid to that recently.
    Swimming is good, and I'm a very good swimmer. But I can only go one speed, fast very fast lol the thought of toddling along for 50 to 100 lengths would depress me, same as a tread mill * that.
    Had a mini trampoline before when my weight went up after getting out of hospital as my physio recommended it and it went well for burning cals and giving a bit of tone at low impact. Can't remember what it was like for my heart so may look into that.

6. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    If your heart rate can't go above 199bpm, doing weights is pretty safe.

7. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    Just bought a power of * (good *) in LIDL after being to the gym. Feeling quite motivated to stick to this.

8. smokie899

Fav Celtic Player:
    s.brown
    My resting heartrate can frequently hit 170-180. Highest resting heartrate I recorded was 183. Hence why I'm * for something to do.
    If the ICD goes off I lose my driving license for two years, that would kill me tbh

9. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Oh right. Stick to the doctor's advice then mate.

10. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Quick 20 minute sprint session this evening, followed by leg curls and leg presses. My cardio is no-where near where I want it to be so need to focus on that the most.

11. smokie899

Fav Celtic Player:
    s.brown
    Used to wear a speed cell in my football boot, average speed was around 17mph and my fastest was 18.2. That's dem big tilers legs hey.
    Cracking piece of kit. Not only were you getting fit by p,aging football. But I was always trying to beat my records so worked harder got fitter.

12. KRS-1888 Scott La Rock

Just do a bit of running,a few sit ups and press ups,and you'll be sound.

13. ChrisMoh

Fav Celtic Player:
    Samaras
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA

14. ChrisMoh

Fav Celtic Player:
    Samaras
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    might no be for you but you should try the yoga,it can be relaxing or as hard as you want it to be.although not really for building muscle,but it would a good excersise with your heart i think.you can do classes or just stick youtube on the tv.getting out into country do some trekking,find some really good walks that are in your area online.again that can be as easy or as hard as u want it to be taking a stroll on flatt ground or walking up a mountain if u want to push yourself.

15. charlietully

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the People Sing
    Some sound advice there chum.

ChrisMoh and bagforlife like this.
  16. Cobbs67

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willy and Danny
    First game of 7s in about 2 years last night, managed to go over my ankle when trying to turn !! Body is in agony today. Will hopefully be ok to get back to training on Tuesday night though. Going to start back running and kettlebells too, also decided to stay off the booze for months to get in shape again, sorted out a meal plan on my fitness pal.

neilly1987 likes this.
  17. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    I've been using my fitness pal the last few days as well. Had heard of it before and on the recommendation of @Marty McFly downloaded it

Really handy and I'm already in the knack of scanning *. Been averaging about 1700 calories a day which according to my weight, height and goal is bang on. More than enough for me anyway.

Cobbs67, CalgaryBhoy and neilly1987 like this.
  18. Marty McFly Whoa, this is heavy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Good stuff mate.

It really is handy, the fact it takes 2 seconds to scan your grub onto it, and once you’ve used it a lot all your usual stuff is there.

Just perfect for tracking macros and has saved me from having that extra treat so many times! Great motivator tool.

Mr Shelby likes this.
  19. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Might give that app a bash tonight.

Last night I did some more running on the treadmill. Didn't feel bad at any point so that's a positive sign. Followed that with x-trainer then did a chest session. Going to focus on core tonight as I feel like I've neglected it for over a month.

20. Mr. Slippyfist

Been eating absolute * the last week and a half.

Feel like a total greasy pervert.