1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Going to Beijing

Discussion in 'TalkCeltic Pub' started by smokie899, Dec 16, 2017.

Discuss Going to Beijing in the TalkCeltic Pub area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Colin Robinson Gold Member Gold Member

China would be interesting and to be honest I'm sure North Korea would be a pretty interesting trip too, but personally I wouldn't be going anywhere near Pyongyang given the current political situation.

I'd rather take a longer trip around China itself. Plenty of interesting places to visit. Yangshuo is at the top of my list.

2. smokie899

Fav Celtic Player:
    s.brown
    So done my homework and found a good reputable tour company. 'Young pioneer tours' do lots of different trips, but the one that stands out is the 3 day 2 nights one mostly in ping pang pong (* trying to spell that) and a quick visit to the DMZ.

24 hour sleeper train with 24hr bar :) from Beijing to Dandong for a change over then another train to pynyangyuong (I tried lol) with a few hours spare. The
    train station is right beside the two bridges in and out of north and South Korea including the one the yanks blew up and was left as it was. apparently this is the best way to see the real DPRK. 3 nights, 2days, all visas, transport, guides and hotel with dinner for about £420.
    The place doesn't seem half as strict as people think tbh and welcome visitors

ChrisMoh likes this.
  3. Buster

Can you bring me back a Kim Long-un fridge magnet please :50:

4. Rendog

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The SAM song
    What's your real name in case your on sky news smokes? 1 wrong photo on your phone and your * mate. Be carefull!!

5. muffitO'tea

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    I'd be far too much of a wuss to go to NK. I'd keep thinking I was going to end up dead or get thrown in some labour camp.

Would be incredibly interesting, though. Good luck :50:

6. smokie899

Fav Celtic Player:
    s.brown
    I've looked into it a lot and it's probably one of the safest place around China lol fancied Tibet but it was classed as more politically unstable and Mongolia well is Mongolia basically a vast space of nothingness.
    The tour company that does the North Korea tours also do tours of Iraq and Afghanistan as well as Chernobyl. Don't fancy them at all :fear:
    The company is called 'young pioneer tours'
    Checked the flights fo China last night again as was going to book them 2 weeks ago as they were £560 they are now £430. Do I wait to see if they go down more or book as that's cheap. The guy I'll be staying with has never had s flight for less than £520 mind he does come home at busy times of year.
    The thing that's putting me off is that the minimum time in NK is three days and close to two days travel to keep the price down as flying in is expensive. But from all the blogs, travel writers and guys that have done the tour say it great. You see the real China and the sleeper trains are good for meeting people.
    I'm only planning a 10 day trip as I've a new baby in the house so don't want to be away to long and so much is going to spent traveling.
    Dublin to Amsterdam, amstetdam to Beijing 12 1/2 hours then time in airports and driving to Dublin adds about another 5hrs.
    Not going to spend much time in Beijing and really I'm going out to see someone.
    Also he told me to come out for the first week of June as the teams soccer academy he coaches with have a big Nike event that week and they always have a few big soccer names come who we can meet. Plus loads of free pluck.
    Great Wall is two hours drive, Tiananmen Square and the forbidden cityis close by so they are easly seen. Oh and he has his own chauffeur on call between 7am and 7pm and he will bring you anywhere even its not work related.
    So ditch NK spend more time in China to see things and spend more time with the bro in law, or do it all end up a wreck with all the traveling or go for 14 days.
    Think I would regret not seeing NK after being so close mind.
    Then again I'll probably spend ten days on the * as I don't get on with foreign food lol

7. Sparda

Fav Celtic Player:
    The King of Kings
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The Fields of Athenry
    I've lived in Beijing for 5 years, Chaoyang/Dongcheng and I've also been to Tibet. If you don't want to go to Tibet you at least have to visit Yunnan, it's * amazing. Always wanted to go to Chernobyl. If you want to ask me anything about China go ahead but honestly Beijing's a huge shithole, Hangzhou, Suzhou, Shanghai are all way superior. Given how big China is there isn't that much you can do in 10 days. When are you out there? The ice festival is still on around this time.

The water in Beijing is lethal so you are 100% going to be having what the locals call laduzi for your trip. If you're out on the drink you'll probably end up in Sanlitun or Houhai.

Overrated tourist trap hellhole. Especially given it's CNY although golden week would be worse. Massive traffic, massive crowds. TBH the best places you can only get to if you speak Mandarin and own a car. Also local tour guides are about half that of foreign tour guides, unless they know you're a foreigner - they'll try to rip you off. They'll also try to shill you some jade and the like. Everyone in this country is out to scam you.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2018