1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

[Official TC Thread] Celtic v Partick Thistle @ CP Wednesday 20th Dec 7:45pm k/o

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Mr. Slippyfist, Dec 17, 2017.

Discuss Celtic v Partick Thistle @ CP Wednesday 20th Dec 7:45pm k/o in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. gandolf

Fav Celtic Player:
    boruc and Mick
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Joe McDonnell
    Glad to see armstrong showing glimpses of form from last season. A cracking goal and some great runs.

eire4 and Oaked Aged like this.
  2. Sno'sLeftFoot

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    We've not seen it this season but Armstrong has that aggression and bite in him when he wants to use it. Watch his reaction when. Brown got sent off up at Dingwall last season after the Schalk penalty incident, Ross County players are gunning for him and Armstrong dives right in.

I hope to * this is a sign of him turning things around. Whether he wants to be here long term or not, when he's on song like last season and tonight he's one of our best players and an automatic starter for me.

3. MacEwan Himmy Butler Gold Member

Wasn’t pretty tonight but I couldn’t be happier with the response after Sunday.

Although the opposition wasn’t quite as good, we made it look easy. Boyata, Armstrong, Tierney, Sinclair, Lustig and Gordon were all miles ahead in terms of performance compared to Sunday.

Gordon actually came out to clear the ball once or twice and when Partick presses he played a couple of pinpoint passes into the space left in midfield and that’s what he’s been missing.

Boyatas passing was much better, Ajer and Johnston continue to improve, Edouard’s workrate continues to impress me.

The passion shown from the fans at 69 mins and full time, along with the passion from the players after the Fraser incident was fantastic. Love this team.

Tommy25 likes this.
  4. Markybhoy

What's the script then. Did we play better tonight? Or was it one of they midweek December games where ye win 2-0 but nothing much happens and the atmosphere is crap?

5. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Last edited: Dec 21, 2017
    Tommy25, LectersLuncheon and Artorias like this.
  6. LectersLuncheon

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henke
    Fav Celtic Song:
    all of them
    cheers crow:50:

Oaked Aged likes this.
  7. Slater67

Fav Celtic Player:
    Nakamura
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Hail HailLL

8. Bunk Moreland

Main thing was the result I suppose but the performance especially in the first half was still a cause for concern.

Again our build up was far to slow, Partick were happy to just sit in two banks of four and defend while most of our passing went sideways or backward, once again we tried to play a slow patient game attempting to draw out a defence who just weren't falling for it. Too many of our players receiving the ball with their back to goal in the middle of the park with an opposing player right on their back and the ball then goes backwards again, lots of passing and going nowhere.

We created very little in terms of chances in the first half, I think the only two of note I remember was Ajer's header which he should have buried and a dig from Sinclair from outside the box. Armstrong basically made a goal out of nothing, without that I doubt the goal would have come in the first half.

Second half was better without being spectacular, again the lack of clear cut chances created and forcing their keeper to make saves at least was worrying. We really should be hammering teams like Thistle.

Goalkeeper was basically a spectator.

Defence wise we strolled it, Partick posed no threat whatsoever, hard to even judge their defensive performance as they barely had to defend. Ajer looked comfortable but was untested, Boyata the same bar a few * passes, Lustig strolled it as well and KT spent more time attacking and even bagged a decent goal.

Midfield was pretty average, got through the game with little fuss. Brown and McGregor were quietly effective, Armstrong scored a belter, Forrest was quiet and Sinclair was average.

Edouard did okay up front, nothing special and pretty much think he's our 3rd choice striker.

Subs didn't really have the time to impress, Hayes and Johnston showed some decent play, Griff didn't have time to do much.

Bottom line it we got back to winning ways but the performance will have to be far better on Saturday against the sheep shaggers.

Pogues likes this.
  9. scootz

I thought the team played reasonably well last night.

10. Roskopicachu

Mikey Johnston and Ajer were exceptional. Boyata as well. Reckon we need the central defenders to play the ball into MacGregor and Armstrong more often earlier in the game. Other than that a perfect performance.

11. Pogues

Agree with all of that. Forrest is either knackered or was hiding last night cause he did nothing and his movement off the ball was shocking. Hayes made a massive difference when he came on.

McGregor was man marked the whole game and couldn't really break free, and the number of times Sinclair and KT passed the ball back the way in the first half instead of taking the man on was worrying. Far better second half though.

Major plus point was Armstrong looked like the player of last season.

12. Bunk Moreland

Half the problem with Forrest is that he's at his best when he's one on one with the fullback, when we play such a slow paced build up and the opposition sit back instead of being drawn out Forrest has their left mid and left back to beat. We can counter this effectively on the opposite wing as KT is happy overlapping Sinclair and will pull one of the markers away allowing Sinclair to either take his man on or use the pass to KT. Lustig rarely goes beyond Forrest leaving him with the option to take on two or play the ball backwards to Lustig. In games like last night we really miss Roberts as he's happy to use his skill to beat two players while Forrest is more effective running at and beating the fullback for pace, something he can't really do if the fullback has cover behind him.

Jax Teller likes this.
  13. eire4

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Agreed. Was back to his best form last night. Aside from the cracking goal he scored he was consistently our most dangerous player all night. With Rogic out for Saturday I would like to see Armstrong play in front of Brown and Ntcham.

14. ILoveTheCeltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    Same i'd go with that too, McGregor has been quiet the last few games. We've been needing Rogic in there to turn players and get running forward, McGregor is being marked tighter recently and is mostly being forced to pass it backwards when he gets it. Ntcham and Armstrong have had more success getting forward by just running at *.

15. eire4

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Agreed McGregor has been quite the last few games and both Ntcham and last night Armstrong have looked good recently so I think in the absence of Rogic that would be the best way for us to go Saturday in the middle of the park.