1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Craig Gordon

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by Dáibhí, Jul 3, 2014.

Discuss Craig Gordon in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

Tags:
  1. celticpro

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Candyman We love you Celtic (we do)
    OK Brendan

2. Jeremie Frimpong

Don’t you have another thread to appear overly agitated in?

3. celticpro

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Metrobhoy likes this.
  4. celticpro

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    I'm not agitated mate, just defending a player who is taking undeserved abuse.

jocksteinupper likes this.
  5. Jeremie Frimpong

6. Jeremie Frimpong

Most of the criticism is warranted, and it’s not unreasonable to suggest that he is no longer good enough to play for Celtic.

Crilly likes this.
  7. Bunk Moreland

littlekennie, Crilly and Gabriel like this.
  8. celticpro

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    No, it's actually not bunk but whatever you want to think :39:

9. Sno'sLeftFoot

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Pish goalkeeper. I can't fathom why Brendan seems to persist with a guy who has made numerous errors over Dorus who has made 1 in his time here.

The Barca hammering last season can no longer be argued either after the 2 PSG games this season.

Have a feeling he's itching to get someone new in January and put them in right away.

Crilly, Gabriel and DoTheBroony like this.
  10. jocksteinupper

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henke
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willy Maley
    Amazing how we've gone 69 games unbeaten domestically with such a * keeper! Our defence must be *-hot!! Oh wait.....hang on a minute!!

11. Aidan O’Shea

No, he won’t.

12. Bunk Moreland

You were basing part of your argument for Craig Gordon on the fact that we've had some * keepers in the past. You also based part of it on the fact Chelsea wanted to sign him as a third choice keeper, second choice if Begovic left and the fact that he's Scotland's no.1 despite the fact that his competition for that place are utterly pish.

Gordon is simply not good enough, he doesn't make an odd error like you said, he makes a lot of errors, sometimes more than one in a game. It's not a witch hunt or the need for a scapegoat, it's the fact that very few people have any confidence in him and he does little to convince people otherwise.

Crilly likes this.
  13. celticpro

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    in your Glaikit eens

14. Gabriel Beidh an lá linn Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Raphael Scheidt
    I can always remember we had * keepers and the huns had some really good keepers. To want to carry on our tradition of * keepers is madness. What next? * in bottles because that's what was done when we were European Champions

15. Aidan O’Shea

Are you Craig Gordon?

Jeremie Frimpong likes this.
  16. celticpro

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    I'll let the people who really matter, and that are factually in the know by seeing him train day in day out, be the judge.

17. Bunk Moreland

You don't have to be Brendan Rodgers to see when a player makes mistakes in fact he has seen it because he's dropped him before, unfortunately De Vries seems to be just as bad. As for training day in day out Boyata could be like Beckenbauer in training for all we know but it means jack * if he puts in a performance like today and should be dropped so how Gordon trains is irrelevant.

18. celticpro

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Oh * no, couldn't think of being anything worse :56:

19. scootz

Meant to post the bit below in this thread as well as the match thread. Its my last post about the him as I think I've made my point clear - others see it differently, but hey-ho.

I've defended Craig Gordon doggedly over the past couple off months, but let me be clear about this - I only did so as I didn't think it was was fair for him to be turned into the default fall-guy when there were consistently worse outfield performers. I still don't... and there still are!

The bhoy can make regular worldys, but I also realise that theres a brainfart waiting just around the corner. That said, to get the ball past CG, there usually has to have been a failure elsewhere on the pitch (most usually by one - or sometimes both - of the chuckle-brothers in front of him). Sometimes he can be his own worse enemy - especially when he's had too much time to think. We've always known that his reflexes and athleticism are world class, and that his decision making is often erratic. Why should that still surprise folks now? It certainly shouldn't come as any surprise that some of his best work came under Deila as Brendan has asked him to play in a fashion that completely contrasts with his 'style' of the previous 15 years as a professional goalkeeper.

I absolutely support BR in his 'play from the back' philosophy, but I also understand that it carries a great deal of risk - particularly for the GK - and that there will be occasional calamities. It happens to the best of teams every now and then, so why not us!? Take the lauded Manuel Neuer... he's considered one of the best Sweeper-Keepers out there, but look at his mistakes on YouTube and you'll soon see that even he has been involved in plenty of ridiculous clusterfucks over the years. It's a * difficult role to play, never mind excel at!

CG has put his head down and accepted Brendans challenge. He's done so knowing full well that he would be laying bare his mistakes for all to see. And that takes bottle... especially at a club with the size of support and expectation of ours. He could easily have *-off for bigger money and sat on a bench when other clubs came sniffing around him (Chelsea). But he chose to remain with us and try to fit into the new Gaffers style. He deserves plaudits for his bravery and desire to 'do better' - not the derisory mocking of armchair goalkeeping experts! I still can't believe that anyone would refer to a Celtic player as 'a piece of *' as happened earlier in the match thread (and that was before the penalty!).

But what bugs me most about the CG 'thing' is that we have Defenders who have taken advantage of the 'play-from-the back' philosophy to rid themselves of responsibility and blame. No easy pass on for them... so what do they do? More often than not they move it straight to the guy who has the least experience in using his feet, and they do it when he is often under equal pressure to that which they were experiencing - sometimes more! It does my box in that they get away with their cowardice by some of the fans, yet CG gets crucified when trying to deal with the * that he's just been presented with. TBH, I'm amazed that he hasn't made more howlers than he has!

He'll say that the criticism hasn't got to him, but I think his confidence is shot and its worsened his decision making frailties, so I accept that his days are pretty much numbered at Celtic. Such a shame that he'll likely leave us under a bit of a cloud as he's definitely been responsible for a * of a lot more good than bad in his time with us. He's been front-and-centre in winning us a number of games, some domestic competitions, and he's also kept us in a Euro competition way past the point that our overall play deserved. All (apparently) easily forgotten... some 'support'!

jocksteinupper likes this.
  20. Cmcgregor90

maybe not this month but surley its time to give ross doohan a chance? why buy when we have a youth keeper whos not only been 3rd choice but on the bench before