1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

What is ‘your’ Celtic Team?

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Liam Scales, Dec 13, 2017.

Discuss What is ‘your’ Celtic Team? in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. trip2themoon Concomitant Allez-Vous?

Fav Celtic Player:
    Peter Grant
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Boys of the Old Brigade

Early 1997 that was us back, we were league challengers again. Up til the last league game against the Huns that season I honestly thought we were going to do it. Finally be back where we should be after 8 long agonising years and stop the 9. We played the * in the cup a week or two before that game and won that one. 2-0 I think it was. I would have happily gave up that cup win for the league win. I felt sick seeing them do 9. Little did we know back then about their out and out cheating. I don't understand how any fans can revel in that know how it was done?

2. Leone Naka Fan

Fav Celtic Player:
    Nakamura, Moravčik, Petrov, Ki
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    I started to interest myself in Celtic around 2000/1, after finding them on Winning Eleven. I became a proper fan during the Strachan era.

KRS-1888 likes this.
  3. Marty McFly Whoa, this is heavy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Same as Pad for me

First love:

[​IMG]

* about:

[​IMG]

Settled down:

[​IMG]
    + Big John

packybhoy likes this.
  4. Marty McFly Whoa, this is heavy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    As an aside, and probably for a seperate thread, but I didn’t 100% get wrapped up in everything about Celtic until I was 18 and away at uni.

It was here that I started learning about all the things that go with being a Tim.

As a wee man I of course loved Celtic, always had the strips and posters covered my walls, knew about the Lions etc but it was when I got older and learned the songs, the history, the Irish connection, away games, CSC’s and everything else that goes with it. The social, cultural and political aspects that now play a massive part in my life.

5. Nesto Che Stein

Fav Celtic Player:
    Ajar, Soro
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Is the Centenary Team for me. So glad I was there to witness most of it in the flesh home and away. A wonderful squad of players who gave everything in the face of incredible odds against the full force of the Souness deadco revolution. So many great matches compacted into one season with an extraordinary amounts of games won in the last few minutes. They snatched so many victories from the jaws of defeat in was incredible. The the Scottish Cup semi-final against the Diet Huns stands out for me as Hoops were 1-0 down with a couple of minutes to play. I was standing with my mates on the slopes of Hampden looking at our watches thinking, we will still win this. Two minutes later....2-1 Hoops..... Absolute scenes at Hampden that day!! So they are "my" team as you call it....I am so blessed to have seen them play.....

1. P.Bonner 2.C.Morris 3.A.Rogan 4.R.Aitken 5.D.Whyte 6.M.McCarthy 7.J.Miller 8.P.McStay 9.F.MacAvennie 10.A.Walker 11.T.Burns Subs:- 12.B.Stark 14.M.McGhee

6. Cupid Stunt

I was born in the very late 80's so O'Neill's side are the first I can really remember winning anything and also dominating. Seville and memories like that will always be what I think back to when I think about Celtic growing up.

7. Britwell bhoy Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mcstay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    Centenary team was great but for just sheer joy Jansens for me

8. packybhoy Administrator Administrator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    Because Henry dropped the ball. As soon as we equalised, Hearts knew they were beat.

jj81 and Nesto Che Stein like this.
  9. Dallas Cowbhoys

MON's team, even just for Henrik alone.

The treble season, Seville, some genuinely class players, truly great times to be a Tim.

10. trip2themoon Concomitant Allez-Vous?

Fav Celtic Player:
    Peter Grant
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Boys of the Old Brigade

I remember there was a period where we were notorious for grabbing wins in the last 10 minutes. I can't remember which season it was but it was in the cup and we were 1 nil down against Dundee United and we snatched 2 goals in that final ten minutes to take the tie and into the next round. Might have been our cup win in 1995.

For me that cup win in 1995 was very special because we had endured our longest dry spell in my lifetime and had went 5 years without a trophy. We didn't win the league that year but we were on the way back and were giving the Huns a fight once again. Tommy was home and our fantastic stadium was being built and Tommy was signing some amazing players. You could see light at the end of the tunnel.

Nesto Che Stein likes this.
  11. The IRA

Fav Celtic Player:
    Vol. Ryan Chrisite
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Beautiful Sunday - the IRA version
    O'Neill's team.

I always supported Celtic, but I was quite young during the Burns/Jansen/Barnes eras, so I didn't really appreciate the significance of the Scottish Cup win in 95, trying to stop 9IAR under Tommy, eventually succeeding in stopping the 10 under Jansen and the complete *-up of ICT under Barnes.

I suppose I was lucky that my football 'coming of age' happened to coincide with the MON era. Even looking back now, it just filled with so many special memories that I get little hairs on the back on my neck standing up when I think of them.

Some are those iconic moments like Larsson's chip in the 6-2 etc, Sutton v Juve, BBJ v Liverpool, winning the Treble etc. But then there are the special moments that are very personal.

I can still remember vividly the whole build-up to Seville. The week before and leading up to the game, there was beautiful weather here in Derry - you'd see lots of Hoops about the town. And every day after school I'd be out kicking a ball about with my mates under a beautiful red sky until it was too dark to see. We'd then lie back and look up at the stars and talk about the final and how it would play out. How would we win it? A last-minute winner? From who? Henrik? What would the goal be like? Would it be more exciting to go to pens? How would we celebrate if we did win it?

In terms of childhood memories, I can honestly say that the month of May 2003 (well... late April onwards) was probably one of the best months of my entire life and certainly the best of my childhood.

The fact we lost of course makes it also quite a painful memory, and even now I can't watch the game v Porto. Yes, I've seen the clips of Henrik's headers, but I never watch any highlights of the match itself. We have the 'Road to Seville' DVD that the club brought out the following year, and I love watching it from time to time, but I never watch the final. Never will. Of all my regrets following Celtic there is nothing that compares to the disappointment of Seville.

packybhoy and Sean Daleer like this.
  12. jpr21

Fav Celtic Player:
    mcgregor
    Fav Celtic Song:
    willie maley
    WGS era was ages 16-20 for me. Memorable days and i loved watching that side. Great times.

13. cammy07

The first 90 minutes I properly remember watching in full is the 6-2 game, think I was 7 or 8 and what a * experience, I remember my dad having folk round for the game and jumping round the living room like a dafty at every goal.

I also don’t think i’ll ever idolise a player like I did henke, so for that reasons o’neils 2000/01 side will be my first ‘celtic’ side.

packybhoy and jake10 like this.
  14. rudebhoy67 Gold Member Gold Member

The team that snatched the title from the wee Huns in 85/86. That was my first season properly attending games as a 13 year old lad.

Was at love street that day and the feeling I had when the whistle went is something I've never had at football since. The only times that have come close was stopping the 10 or the semi win over Boavista.

Sure, I've seen better teams and there is a major downside to that particular side, Blackheart was in it, but that was my first love.

Tommy was my hero followed by Davie provan, although he was on the way out due to illness and didn't really feature much that season if memory serves me correctly.

There were some good players in that squad though. Danny, Tommy, Packy, the bear, McClair and the maestro. Owen archdeacon and Derek whyte were a couple of youngsters with promising futures. DIdn't really pan out for either though.

Mid 80s, wedge haircuts, Lee jeans and nike division and the boys winning the league in dramatic fashion. Doesn't get any better.

JC Anton likes this.
  15. jake10

Fav Celtic Player:
    whoever is our new record spend
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Go on home british soldiers
    I was mid teens when I started going regular, was at the ten men won the league & riot cup final, loved Doyle, McGrain,Roy 'feed the bear' Aitken, Burns, McStay and McCluskey (* bless him and his family for that cup final winner), Nicholas was a joy to behold, obvious class, I can still picture him v huns taking the ball from a throw in dancing past 3 or 4 huns and sticking it in the top corner, I'M A LUCKY, LUCKY *

JC Anton likes this.
  16. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

Sorry mate it was a typo on my phone.. I was 12 at the time. I went on the supporters bus my old man worked in Paisley so met him at the game and we drove back to Glasgow with our scarfs out the window of the motor. The Huns were either at home or at Motherwell or something because there were plenty of Hun buses on the M8 lol.

Scored one of my fav goals of all time in that game. Also remember there being a 'false alarm' in the first half when we thought Dundee had scored. We had to win my three clear goals and hope Dundee did us a favour, don't think we'll ever see another teams goal celebrated so much by Celtic fans.

Even some St.Mirren fans clapped us off the park that day. Hearts lost the Cup Final 4-0 to the sheep a week later lol. Good enough for them.

To this day probably my best feeling at a football match.

* Bless Albert Kidd.

Sent from my HTC Desire 530 using Tapatalk

packybhoy, rudebhoy67 and Marty McFly like this.
  17. Mystic Penguin

Fav Celtic Player:
    Samaras
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Amhrán na bhFiann
    07/08 team that comeback to win the title was amazing and those European games were incredible.

Slaw likes this.
  18. jj81

"Henry drop the ball , henry henry drop the ball "

Same for me , i was only 9 then but can remember that game vividly.

That team , then Wims , then Marty O's

packybhoy likes this.
  19. charlietully

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the People Sing
    Aaah, the halcyon days of the early 90s. Lou Macari at the helm, Wayne Biggins, Carl Muggleton, Willie Falconer wearing our famous hoops. We will never get those days back again.........

Liam Scales likes this.
  20. Celtic_renard News Writer News Writer

Fav Celtic Player:
    Patrick Roberts
    Strachan and the three in a row.