1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

The Boxing Thread

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Liam Scales, Jul 1, 2011.

Discuss The Boxing Thread in the Other Sports area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. King of Kings

Fav Celtic Player:
    boruc
    It is subjective, but this is the first time I’ve ever heard anyone suggest Lomachenko is even in the running for the position of the best fighter of all time. He’s super talented, and his * pedigree is unquestionable great, but the reality is that if he retired just now his best win would be against a 36 year old guy coming up two weight classes to fight him. At this point in time he isn’t even the best fighter of 2017, let alone ever, and I say that as a big fan.

The two greats of the latest generation are Mayweather and Pacquiao, and even with wins against Crawford wouldn’t put Lomachenko in either of their leagues as far as legacy goes. How do wins against Salido, Rigondeux and say Crawford compare against Ledwaba, Barrera, Marquez, Morales, Diaz, De la Hoya, Hatton, Cotto, Margarito, Mosley, Rios and Bradley? It doesn’t really even begin to measure up, and then there’s Mayweathers perfect record....

2. Nasser

I don't rate Cotto, Margarito or Rios, and Barrera was old as was Mosley and De La Hoya was also past his best. Pac Man also had help to get through so many weight classes. Floyd all though a great record fought fighters at the right time when they were either old or too green like Canelo. Loma has jumped straight in no cherry picking.

3. King of Kings

Fav Celtic Player:
    boruc
    There’s simply no question about who has the more impressive resume between Pacquiao/Mayweather and Lomachenko. He would realistically need to have another 5/6 years minimum of moving up and clearing out numerous weight divisions in the same way both Pacquiao and Mayweather have done.

It’s easy to discredit any fighters range of opponents, but the stark reality is that no fighters have done it as impressively as Pacquiao or Mayweather in a long time, and Lomachenko isn’t currently one of the guys that you would say is even close to them. Record wise that is, his ability is excellent. There’s also no question that both Mayweather and Pacquiao have shown more ambition than Lomachenko has at this stage, he may well end up doing so, but for him to match either of those two considering his resume so far is a * of an ask.

4. Nasser

I'm not disputing that. I've already said there is a lot of ifs and buts about if Loma can be the best of all time, it's unlikely Loma will fight Crawford anyway as Crawford is going to move up to welterweight. Lomachenko has moved to 135 I think he will lose to Mikey Garcia but if he did manage to beat Garcia and then moved up weight again and beat Crawford and cleared that out all being clean is highly impressive.

5. ThatBhoyLarsson

Fav Celtic Player:
    The King of Kings, At the moment Scott Brown, Lustig or Matthews.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of athenry, YNWA,
    Mon Katie Taylor!!

Gabriel likes this.
  6. Gabriel Beidh an lá linn Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Raphael Scheidt
    Terrible camera work for this fight

7. TESLA Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Vernon Dursley.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields Of Athenry.
    Your ones a fighter not a boxer, vicious fight!

8. Gabriel Beidh an lá linn Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Raphael Scheidt
    Refs a hun

9. Gabriel Beidh an lá linn Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Raphael Scheidt
    Easy win for Katie

10. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

11. TESLA Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Vernon Dursley.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields Of Athenry.
    Go Bray :ireland::boxing:

12. Nasser

I wished I watched it now, that Conor Ben fight was good that 1st round! * me Ben needs to stop brawling and defending with his face, he has such raw talent but * defense like that is going to catch up with him.

13. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Noticed that in his last fight with that hope he works that for his next one.

14. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

15. celts67

16. celts67

17. celts67

18. Nasser

What I hate about betting on boxing is you always have to factor in the possible corruption and home cooking for the home fighter. I think as it's in Lemieux's home (Canada) it's a 50/50 fight.

If Saunders is in good shape then he's a bad style match up for Lemieux, but judges often dislike defensive boxers unless their name is Mayweather so Lemieux could win on the score cards. A lot of Americans and Canadians seem to think Lemieux is going to blast Saunders out there and KO him I don't think that will happen at all. In fact I think 5/1 for Lemieux to win on points is not a bad bet but if I was betting on the fight I'd probably just bet on the fight to go the distance but the odds are not that good on that.

celts67 likes this.
  19. celts67

20. Lecs

Hope BJS wins.. I'll try and stay up for it but it will be a mission. Probably not on until about 4 or 5 am.