1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Scots face tougher challenge after Champions League changes

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Jeremie Frimpong, Dec 11, 2017.

Discuss Scots face tougher challenge after Champions League changes in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Gabriel Beidh an lá linn Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Raphael Scheidt
    I would happily forfeit CL for a league involving us and the elite from Holland, Belguim, Denmark Sweden and maybe Norway. The money generated in such a league would make up for what we would lose from CL football and we would finally test ourselves most weeks against quality opposition as opposed to the * in the SPFL and the financially doped teams in the CL.

littlekennie and JamesM09 like this.
  2. littlekennie

Fav Celtic Player:
    nakamura
    Fav Celtic Song:
    four leaf clover
    If we can qualify for cl group stage every season for ten in a row we will grow better than anyone in Scotland and the norse and dutch league

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

3. freitassen

Another thing is that the 4 spots for big leagues in the group stage dont come at expense of their places at Europa League. Even worse than the 4th place of a league in a competition for champions, is the 7th best in a competition being rewarded for its mediocrity. Fine, Real, Bayern, Barça are giants, but what teams are more important and attractive? Us, Red Star, PSV, etc or some * side from England, Germany or France from a city half the size of Aberdeen?

monkeynuts likes this.
  4. Gabriel Beidh an lá linn Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Raphael Scheidt
    So we play in a league where we are way better than any of the rest and qualify for a competition that we have no hope of winning and worse where we are seen to be of little value.

5. littlekennie

Fav Celtic Player:
    nakamura
    Fav Celtic Song:
    four leaf clover
    It's the predicament we are stuck in unfortunately between a rock and hard place must be what a epl fan feels like let's stay in a league never win but the financial rewards will help ....

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

Gabriel likes this.
  6. Gabriel Beidh an lá linn Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Raphael Scheidt
    Maybe it's time we tried to get out of this position before it's too late. We have only played 2 games this season against a team that can be considered remotely peers. With the way the CL is going the gap between us and smaller teams in the big 5 leagues will continue to grow. It's fortunate for us they we are so loyal a support because otherwise we would start to go in to a fairly rapid decline.

7. Ghotti Bhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Leigh
    So in a way I’m on the fence about this. The CL pays out loads of money to the teams competing and the only way they can sustain that and grow in revinue is to keep people watching. Despite what some on here may think there’s really not much money in watching Celtic get thumped 7-1 by psg and even though that isn’t a typical CL score line (and we really should be giving them a good game) it still isn’t good publicity for the CL, every game should really be competitive and exciting to watch; that’s what people watch it for and in the US, Africa and Asia which are expanding markets and where people don’t have a home team, it’s important to market every game to new viewers and potential fans.

On the other hand it is important to find the level of more popular (but maybe not as world class) teams and keep them relevant. This is what they have to do with Celtic and teams at the same level as us. Okay fill the CL with all the glamour ties but the Europa should be filled with popular teams of similar levels. It should be a privilege to get into EL, not a disappointment for missing out on the CL. I think if teams like Celtic have a harder time getting into the CL now then it should be easier for us to get into the EL.

8. Blochairnbhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Sinclair
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Way i look at it now is we are seeded for QR 1-3 and unseeded for the playoffs based on whay ILTC said above, just need to try and get through each round as comfortably as possible and avoid a stinker of a draw again like Astana and Rosenborg early doors.

9. Kayazziguire

I reckon they should just stop the facade and have two European cups, one for the clubs who earn over a certain amount and one below - make it nice and transparent for everyone.

Ghotti Bhoy likes this.
  10. stirfry999

Fav Celtic Player:
    Hatate oreily kyogo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    y n w a
    Read somewhere today that UEFA are awarding us even more money for last year anybody got any news on this