1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Scott Brown v Paul McStay

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Seán Mac D, Dec 10, 2017.

Discuss Scott Brown v Paul McStay in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Mr. Slippyfist

Oh aye definitely a genuine humble man indeed.

Just read that link that @JC Anton posted there and couldn't help smirk a wee bit when I read Spiers mentioning his people carrier car - that was parked in his driveway when I did the job for him. Pretty sure it was a light-blue one anaw :56:

Marty McFly and JC Anton like this.
  2. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

Cool story mate..

3. Mr. Slippyfist

You are such a mean person :nonono:

4. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

I know.

5. Mr. Slippyfist

Forgot to mention Alan Thompson was there too.

Whilst in that job (not in the same place), bumped in to our new signing at the time - Stilyan Petrov. Went up and spoke to him, like the star-struck Celtic fan usually does - * just looked at me and walked away.

Thought for years he was just an ignorant *, until I realised he never spoke a word of English and probably thought what the * is this wee ned * on about?

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

6. Mr. Slippyfist

And a bully.

:40:

7. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

Was that in Anniesland mate? He lived there for a bit used to see him in Morrisons..

8. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Thanks.

9. Mr. Slippyfist

It was mate, can't remember exactly where but it was outside a set of luxury flat-type things.

Also, there was a big white guy with him, turns out it was the guy employed by Celtic to look out for him.

JC Anton likes this.
  10. Senna s1979

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    I haven’t mocked anyone for saying he is a legend.
    That is a fact. I have said so myself.
    The’rangers’ press reported him as leaving hence the big cry off at the last game that season - so how am I going along with them saying he wasnt Wanted by anyone? Kelly said no one ever bid for him and if they did they would have taken the money as like the examples I said before they got decent money and it was needed for the club to be skimmed by the Kelly’s!
    Also the rangers press would have wanted him gone ffs.
    Also wasn’t his brother also his agent?
    How many times has an agent said their client is wanted by 21 clubs? They do that for a reason.
    By 1990 his knees were shattered. It’s unfortunate but true. If he left in 92 Juventus would have got a couple more seasons out of him the same as we did. He knew his time was up and he got the contract he wanted.
    It’s not a slight on him - he was probably on crap money for a player of his ability in Italy or England so an improvement was sensible.

I’m not saying he is a * player or a *. I’m saying he is not some mythical genius that he is being painted here.
    He was also not world class. That’s not a slight either. Plenty of our greatest players were nowhere near that level - doesn’t mean they aren’t club legends or *.

11. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Find it difficult to believe he was world class either. From the available footage, he doesn't look world class, or even close to the level of real world class midfielders from his era.

12. Pogues

Fair enough Senna, we agree to disagree. I just felt your original post was pretty harsh.

Your right, the Rangers press wanted him to leave but when he decided to stay they gave it the "he's only staying cause no one wants him" pish. He stayed IMO because he is a tim through and through and understood the mess Celtic would be in without him.

His knees weren't shattered by 1990. I seem to remember him at the European championships in 1992 and he had a great tournament particularly in the game against Germany. He was also Celtics best player IMO at least up to fergus taking over and beyond.

The only other thing I would add is that he was no mythical genius, he was a genius. But it's all about opinions mate.

JC Anton likes this.
  13. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

It wasn't knee problems that he had issues with it was his ankle.

I'd like to know what people's definition of World Class is? Is it because he stayed with Celtic for so long and only played in Scotland, that he can't be considered in that high regard?

Did Henrik only become World Class when he left? Or is World Class a phrase that gets banded about too much.

For me McStay's ability was World Class but he just lacked that wee bit of arrogance that say the Lions had if he was just a little bit more 'Gallus' he could have walked into any team in Europe and made them instantly better.

I've never seen Jinky for example but know he was World Class because you see the footage and it's passed down to you.

My first game was 1979 and I've never see a Celtic midfielder with more ability than the Maestro.

And that includes some great players.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2017
    Pogues likes this.
  14. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

He was close to that level. YouTube clips don't tell you everything.

Sent from my HTC Desire 530 using Tapatalk

Pogues likes this.