1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Brendan Fraudgers!

Discussion in 'World Football' started by Mr. Slippyfist, May 20, 2016.

Discuss Brendan Fraudgers! in the World Football area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. RocketBhoy13

Question: Do you dream of seeing Celtic lifting another european cup before they bury you six feet under one day in the future??

Because I do... and I don't really give a * if everyone says it's impossible!

But the standards we have at this football club, are not good enough right now for that to become a reality in the near future.... too many people accept mediocrity. Too many people make lazy excuses for our failures!

And too many people think we should raise the white flag, before a ball is even kicked against sides such as PSG!!

2. Sean Daleer Free Palestine Gold Member

You're trying too hard.

CymruBhoy and StPauli1916 like this.
  3. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    Simple fact is we won't find a more suited football manager in the entire world, really.

I was hurt more than anyone by that skudding and its never nice but having had a few days, I'm over it. Football has gone to * and our ability to compete with the big boys is small..if there at all anymore. We might get the odd win but thats it.

I think the manner in which we conceded some of the goals was shocking but I still live in hope we remedy that. PSG are red hot this season and we were just unfortunate to be drawn against the *.

Rodgers is and always has been the answer. He will continue to deliver success and we will continue to qualify for Europe's main competition under him, IMO.

2 years ago if you had told me that we'd have Brendan Rodgers as manager, 64 games unbeaten, invincible treble and would have qualified for the CL 2 years on the trot I'd have looked at you in disbelief.

The comments from English etc just rub off on me now. There's Man United, Arsenal and Everton all been beaten (the latter utterly buttfucked at home by a mid-table Italian side after spending £150m). This is the supposed best league in the world.

As I say, bit of perspective needed. We are in a great position. It hurts but I'm over it, as I believe PSG will win the competition and hand out a major skudding to one of the big boys on the way.

A decent Europa run and we will all feel better again.

4. RocketBhoy13

We finished 2nd in our CL group back in 12/13.... then spent the next few seasons going backwards in europe.

What exactly makes you think we are in a "great position" as a club?

I would say we are gradually sinking into obscurity as a european force.

What should our long term objectives be in europe as a club? Should we accept that we will never compete again, at the top of the sport... and not even bother trying to come up with a plan to do so??

Look at the Oakland A's for example, in baseball (moneyball film)... they found a clever way to be competitive, without having the same level of resources as their rivals. Is this not something we should be trying to do as a club, to bridge the gap??

Or should we just give up, and resign ourselves to never again being competitive!?

5. oh bhoy

When we sign a couple of defenders in January we will be in rude health to go far in the Europa league

6. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony

Where do I begin? Our position doesn't solely rotate around Europe. If you think it does you are deluded.

Scotland is still our bread and butter and we are in a fantastic position at home. Compare our situation to 2 year ago as I said, how can you not believe we are in a better position?

In 2012/13 under Lennon we weren't a 'European force' then either. We haven't been in years and won't be for a while yet, its about time our fans came to terms with that. We have a chance in the Europa IMO but the CL is another story.

No-one is saying we 'give up'. But realism is needed. I'm not one for getting tanned 7-1 believe me but I'm not going to let it consume me ffs.

This isn't baseball. To bridge the gap, we'd need to spend hundreds of millions, in a league where we only get £3m for winning the title. Makes sense.

Until we leave this league (if ever) competing regularly in the CL with the big guns is a pipe dream. Its not a lack of ambition on my part or the club's, its just fact. The best we can hope is to punch above our weight ocassionally, like we did under Strachan and Lennon, and, even O'Neill.

7. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

BRENDAN Rodgers last night insisted he had been completely unaffected by the personal savaging he had received in the aftermath of Celtic’s heavy 7-1 defeat by Paris Saint-Germain in midweek.

The Northern Irishman stated that he understands he is leaving himself open to criticism by having “the balls” to send his teams out to play attacking football at the highest level.

Many former players and media pundits have been scathing about his both his tactics and team selection in the Champions League group game over in France on Wednesday evening.

English-based radio station TalkSPORT even had an online poll on whether Rodgers, whose team won the treble last season and is unbeaten in 64 domestic matches, should resign.

However, the 44-year-old, who will lead his side out in the Betfred Cup final against Motherwell at Hampden tomorrow afternoon, stressed he was unfazed by the stick he had received.

“Can I be totally honest?” he said. “I haven’t seen one word. I’ve learned through experience to not listen. After the game my focus was on just making sure the players were okay, which they were, absolutely fine.

“I’m not on social media. I haven’t actually seen one letter that has been written or heard one word that has been spoken. Because it’s normally by people who don’t have any commitment to anything. They speak, they talk, they get paid, obviously, for an opinion, but it doesn’t bother me.

“I don’t listen to the phone-ins, It’s all about confirming their bias. It might be a bias towards a players, or a even manager.”

Rodgers added: “I’m beyond worrying. I’m here to do the best for Celtic and I’ll do what I think is the best thing for the club. Hopefully up until this point it has been okay. I continue to work that way, to be better, to improve the club in as many ways as I can.

“I would like to think the players have improved both individually and as a team. They’ve shown courage to go and play.

“Of course no-one wants to lose 7-1. It’ll always be open to ridicule from people who either don’t watch the game or just look at the result. But I can’t affect that. I don’t worry. When you try to have balls to play then you’re always going to be open to that.

“When you have an attacking philosophy people think you don’t necessarily work on defending. Fundamentally we defend very well. In terms of how we press and the aggression we have.

“There will always be criticism. But PSG beat Barcelona 4-0 last season and then they bought in £400 million worth of player to go on top of that. We’ve got to try and compete with it. We do our best, but it’s not enough.”

Rodgers admitted that Mikael Lustig, who limped off injured in the first half of the Group B match against PSG in midweek, and Nir Bitton, who replaced him, were doubts for the Betfred Cup final tomorrow.

However, he stressed that he is comfortable he has a strong enough squad to be able to deal with the loss of the Swedish right back and the Israeli midfielder, who has been playing in defence for Celtic this season, if they fail late fitness tests.

“We’ve got a couple of sore niggles around Lustig and Bitton,” he said. “Tony Ralston in his last week of rehab so he won’t join the group till next week,” he said. “But we have Erik Sviatchenko and Kris Ajer, Cristian Gamboa too. Apart from that the squad is absolutely fine.

“Jozo (Simunovic) came through the PSG game fine. The only reaction was a good one, and when you think he hasn’t played for a while, he did very well, considering.”

kramer1 and Jack Torrance like this.
  8. packybhoy Administrator Administrator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    Yip I was resigned to us throwing in the towel and calling it a day. But alas I found a copy of Moneyball on Amazon. 6p p+p. So I've ordered it for CP. when Brendan and the upper board watch it, then we're sorted. Why didn't anybody not think of this movie before. Also got Toy Story 3 for Griffs kids as they run riot on the team bus!:50:

StPauli1916 likes this.
  9. RocketBhoy13

You can laugh all you want, but it's actually based on real-life events... The Oakland A's did actually find a clever way to be competitive against richer teams!

And while you are ridiculing/dismissing such ideas... there might very well be football clubs out there, plotting something similar in our sport.

Why couldn't Celtic become the Oakland A's of european football??

10. Sean Daleer Free Palestine Gold Member

I wonder whomever could you possibly mean...? Ahhhhduh

StPauli1916 likes this.
  11. Sean Daleer Free Palestine Gold Member

Can we keep this one?

12. Bunk Moreland

13. WolfOfParkhead

Fav Celtic Player:
    All about the collective
    We didn't sit back against psg at home and we didn't attack either. Still don't think anyone knows what we tried that night

14. MagicBallBhoy Gold Member Gold Member

who on this site is saying that we should be happy with being pumped 12-1 yah rocket, hyperbolic much ? stop exciting yourself unnecessarily

you need to read and understand better what people are saying in here ffs, 3rd place in this group is a win if we do as expected and achieve it

Mr Shelby and Sean Daleer like this.
  15. MagicBallBhoy Gold Member Gold Member

you forgetting the players we had then ffs sutton, larson, hartson, lennon, lambert, valgaeren, balde, mcnamara, we havent got as established and experienced players like this these days and seven of them would have been worth around £5m to £6m quid we havent got the same quality and experience ??? we hope our players will turn into players as good as them, people are hurt we all are but some of us see the purpose of our players individually and as a team being taught harsh lessons, one of the biggest is controlling a pass and shielding it from your opponent

rogers forcing the players to play and (not just set them up to frustrate) to face up to their weaknesses in their game will make them better players and make us a better team

Sean Daleer likes this.
  16. RocketBhoy13

And how hard are we working behind the scenes to find and/or develop such players? We found Dembele, and we produced KT.... but other than that, we've not really unearthed much quality young players that we could build a decent team around.

Getting pumped is not part of Rodger's grand master plan.... Just like it wasn't last season either.... and it doesn't really serve any useful purpose, other than drilling into the player's heads that they are out of their depth at this level.

On the other hand, if we gave PSG a couple of very tough games... where we suffered narrow defeats. Then we could take some confidence from that.

Shipping 12 goals over 2 games, does not help you progress and become a better player or team! I think you're drinking too much of the Rodgers kool-aid tbf... :86:

17. Bunk Moreland

* off and quit spouting pish ya nugget

18. Leone Naka Fan

Fav Celtic Player:
    Nakamura, Moravčik, Petrov, Ki
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Rodgers says that we are defending well. I disagree. Pressing is just a bad idea against some teams. We press when we shouldn't.

19. Sean Daleer Free Palestine Gold Member

Honestly. What do you know about anything?

Actually trying to tell Brendan how to do his job :giggle1: That's why he is manager of the Famous Glasgow Celtic and you are on a messageboard spraffin' *.

MagicBallBhoy likes this.
  20. Luis1967 Gold Member Gold Member

Was bored at lunchtime and there was one in the tea hut.

Seemed mainly fannies right enough. But 1/2 had good points. The rest was harsh.