1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Brendan Fraudgers!

Discussion in 'World Football' started by Mr. Slippyfist, May 20, 2016.

Discuss Brendan Fraudgers! in the World Football area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. MagicBallBhoy Gold Member Gold Member

hes coaching the players, its a inexperienced young team we have not like martin oneils or strachans or lennons

hes also blooding them against the best, the lessons mcgreggor, forrest, tierney, boyata bitton, armstrong, ntcham, simunovic, rogic, dembele get from these games is more than can be gained in a year of coaching in scotland against our domestic sides

im not sure about some of them, i'm not confident of mcgreggor, forrest, rogic of getting to the next level, im doubtful if ntcham and armstrong can make it also

mcgreggor seems to have the ability, good on the ball, energetic good passer not much of a tackler, gets into good positions then he gets crowded out and loses the ball, for me that's about awareness if you take the ball in a tight position you either need to have good feet and skill to take it past them or hit it off them for a throwin or know where the pass out to your team mate is, he also freezes and takes too much time at the top level when you go into a position you need to know what you are going to do when you get the ball not think about what to do when you get it as that is just too late by then

rogic just doesn't move around the pitch well enough, it looks like fitness or that he doesnt look interested in chasing the ball defending

armstrong and ntcham both look like they dont believe they should be playing at this level at times or go missing or are very patchy with their performances sometimes they look great and sometimes they look pants

forrest on his days is great but is inconsistent aswell at times and a little one dimensional

boyata at times looks like a thorughbred and other times looks like a donkey, simunovic looks to me like your no nonsense centre half not great on the ball but his career at celtic has been on off because of injuries needs to get a partnership with boyata going NOW, we need the solidity in defence, gordon im fed up with the * get him to * and get a better goalie, tierney is just magic skys the limit for the bhoy and broonie well broonie is broonie love seeing him taking the ball and steaming forward like he done last night to setup dembele who really should have scored, think hes got a couple of year left in him

can these players step up well brendan has set them the challenge its gonna be a roller coaster with some more ups and downs i reckon but it will be exciting

2. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    Hugely surprised at your opinion of Ntcham.

I think, despite some severe inconsistency, he looks very much at home on the European stage. He's been one of our better performers throughout this campaign so far, if we are counting crucial contributions.

Gyp Rosetti and Liam Scales like this.
  3. MagicBallBhoy Gold Member Gold Member

ntcham has looked good at times but at other times hes looked weak, was it anderlecht away he was terrible having an absolute nightmare and then scored

if we could relax and cut out the daft errors but then they daft errors are also the opposition putting pressure on our players,

like e.g. your in space your shouting for the ball then just as brown passes it to you verrati has timed his press perfect and is right on your * and you feel him and you miss-control the ball and he knicks it off you thats text book the way top players play they get to you just as your recieving the pass causing you to misscontrol it

4. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    Nope. He started poorly but then played that worldie of a pass for Tierney and also won the ball back in the midfield for Sinclair's goal at the end. Grew into it well.

I also felt he was one of our better players last night.

That example you give there was Brown's fault. It was a hospital and shouldn't have played it in the first instance, he is experienced enough to know not to * about in there.

5. celticfan01

Fav Celtic Player:
    Emilio Izaguirre
    Fav Celtic Song:
    all of them
    I usually talk * about the players a day after the game, also how many defeats have we had this season and last in the league ? 0 so not sure where you're getting this angle of me only coming on after we lose, because we only lose in the champions league. Rodgers is the best thing to happen to Celtic in a long time, but I don't see anything positive about losing 7-1 away. I don't think teams like Atalanta, Basel , Braga Vitesse, Sporting Lisbon went into their games with the 'they have more money than as, therefore we should get slapped silly' mentality. I wasn't expecting us to win for * sake, but I guess it's normal for us to be getting beat 7-1 in Europe these days against a team that imo will not make it to the final.

6. RocketBhoy13

I think those post-match comments by Rodgers, just serve to show how tactically naive he is at this level... and he is clearly angry and frustrated because he knows we should be able to perform better!

If you put Lenny back in charge for these 2 games against PSG, I think he would have made a much better fist of things tactically! (not saying we would have necessarily avoided defeat in either game... but I'm quite confident we would not have conceded 12 over 2 games!)

Playing 5 at the back, is very naive.... it's not about how many defenders you have in your backline... it's more about how well they are being protected by the players in front of them. No matter how good your defenders are (or how many you have), they are really only as good as the protection in front of them! This is something that seems to go right over Rodger's head tbh!

He needs to learn, and learn fast. Otherwise we will become the laughing stock of European football. Getting pumped by anyone, is unacceptable for Celtic FC.... I don't care if our resources are meagre by comparison. We are still Celtic FC... and our players are getting a very decent wage to play football for a living! They are capable of much better than that imho!

7. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

Aye mate I remember lol(you must think I'm younger ).. wasn't just the Fairs Cup it used to get you a UEFA Cup place(when it replaced the Fairs). Still carry's a place in England I think..I'm sure at one stage in Scotland we got 4 UEFA cup spots a ECWC place and a European Cup.

Sent from my HTC Desire 530 using Tapatalk

Last edited: Nov 24, 2017
  8. BroxBhoy94

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson/Nakamura
    Fav Celtic Song:
    ONE NEIL LENNON
    Aye whoever wins the English League Cup gets a Europa League play off. If the team who wins qualifies automatically for the EL/CL or earns a play off in both in the league then it goes to the seventh placed team in the league.

JC Anton likes this.
  9. Metrobhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo, Naka and Koki
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    Great point. I'd like to think once Rodgers brings in proper defenders we'll change tactics in certain games. Pretty pointless trying to hold out when you've got the likes of Boyata at the back.

10. jamieparis

the thing is were spending less money than we did back then and as u say inflated markets, so were not even operating in the same market WE did 6 or 7 years ago. never mind all these other clubs.

11. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    He didn’t though, that season we got to the last 16 he was playing our CL tactics in the SPL and our form suffered for it. He was adapting our tactics and drilling them in in the SPL. It wasn’t until after we left Europe he reverted to the more attacking form we usually seen from him and our form picked up.

Big part of the reason for our very low points total that season.

JC Anton and Sean Daleer like this.
  12. Sean Daleer Free Palestine Gold Member

We're being sold short!?

We are about to qualify for the Europa League in a group containing the richest side ever assembled, the massive and historical Bayern Munich and last seasons EL quarter finalists.

What more is it you think we should be doing?

Cobbs67, PaulM1888, Mr Shelby and 3 others like this.
  13. RocketBhoy13

Nonsense...

Ambrose could be just as dodgy as Boyata in some games. But when we protected him well, he did okay! (even in some euro games)

It's never pointless trying to keep things tight against such calibre of opposition. It's actually the most logical/sensible thing to do in our position!

Leone Naka Fan likes this.
  14. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    I still think we could back Brendan just a bit more than we have. I suspect that we would have but the players haven’t been available though. No point buying squad fullers at this stage.

Bhoyo87 and Sean Daleer like this.
  15. RocketBhoy13

Personally, I actually think it's possible to build a strong team in this competition, without much money!

I don't buy into the whole idea, that we should be happy with 3rd place and getting pumped 12-1 by anyone.....

I think people that settle for those standards, are just plain wrong to do so! We must set our standards and expectations much much higher than that.

16. Sean Daleer Free Palestine Gold Member

Aye I don't think even Lawwell would have the balls to cross Brendan. The players just weren't available and we have had horrendous luck keeping our defenders fit.

Brendan is doing a remarkable job in the circumstances.

We need to buy defenders in January, at least 2 quality players ready to step in to the team.

Random Review and Liam Scales like this.
  17. Sean Daleer Free Palestine Gold Member

We aren't settling for anything, but when even Arsenal can lose 10-2 to a team also dismantled by PSG then you see what we are up against.

We shouldn't be happy with third... Are you actually joking because if not then you need to re-evaluate your priorities.

Random Review likes this.
  18. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    A quality, experienced centre back and a goalkeeper would do me.

johnboy19 likes this.
  19. Sween

I am probably half way between these two opinions.

Realistically in this group, there is no reason to assume that we could challenge for 2nd - any more than st johnstone can challenge celtic in the league. The financial gulf is just too wide and the champions league is set up from the outset to ensure the richest clubs get richer. I think everyone agreed 3rd was the realistic target at the start of this season and we have managed it.

But there is also no reason to think a 12 -1 aggregate pumping is acceptable. The 7 1 result was PSGs biggest margin win of their season and it genuinely could have been 10 or 12 if PSG didnt take their foot off the gas. The 5 0 was their joint second biggest win of the season so far. From a celtic perspective that is pretty embarassing. So while we may not have any realistic chance of winning a game, we should at least be able to frustrate teams past the half hour.

Liverpool fans biggest criticisms of Rodgers was his poor defence and his inability to change based on the game in hand. These are weaknesses we are seeing in the champions league. I think we need to be much more pragmatic in how we approach these games and much more aggressive. We might not win but we shouldnt be anyones record pumping either.

20. Bhoyo87

Fav Celtic Player:
    Leigh Griffiths
    Fav Celtic Song:
    A soldiers song
    So are you saying you wouldn't have been satisfied at a third place finish , all things considered, we probably got the toughest draw we could of got , Bayern and psg , think you're looking at Leicester of last season and forgetting about the budget we currently have had to work with. Hats off to Brendan for everything he's been doing at our club .

StPauli1916 and Sean Daleer like this.