1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Stuart Armstrong

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by Xavier Woods, Feb 2, 2015.

Discuss Stuart Armstrong in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. bhoy81

from parkhead glasgow but now live in merseyside
    Dropping him done the world of good.

Just a shame he has not signed a longer contract.

2. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

It’s all about opinions but what we can rule out is that he was ‘* brilliant’.

Which is what James Forrest was, if you think Stu played as well as Forrest than I don’t really have anything else to say.

3. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

STUART Armstrong insists Celtic can march forward with optimism in the UEFA Champions League after their superb showing in defeat last night to Bayern Munich.

The Bhoys were beaten 2-1 by the German giants in Paradise, with Javi Martinez heading in a late winner for the visitors after Callum McGregor had cancelled out Kingsley Coman’s opening goal.

That outcome was cruel on Brendan Rodgers’ side, who merited at least a point after more than matching their illustrious opponents with a courageous, controlled and purposeful performance in front of a raucous home support.

And the Scottish treble-winners also proved the point that they could mix it with the cream of the continent, following their 3-0 reversal away to Bayern two weeks ago.

“It was one where there were a lot of positives and a lot of fight and to not get anything from the game was disappointing,” said Armstrong. “When you compete at that level and create chances and you are disappointed at the end after narrowly losing to one of the best teams in the world, then that is a sign of improvement.

“Throughout the match there was that belief we could get something out of the game. That showed with our confidence to get forward, take chances and be more aggressive – there were a lot of improvements on our game over there.

“Anderlecht was a very professional performance, to get a 3-0 win there in a hard away game was good and very positive for us in the group and for our aspirations. Last night was a different game and there was a lot of good football played.

“The manager likes to keep what he says in the dressing room within our group, but it was a feeling that he could be proud of us and we did compete at the very best level, while we were disappointed not to get something out of the game.”

James Forrest, who was simply sensational throughout the contest, was the architect for McGregor’s goal, picking out the midfielder with a sublime through ball, and his fellow Celtic Youth Academy graduate did the rest.

However, just three minutes later, Bayern ruthlessly restored their lead when Martinez headed home from Coman’s delivery, a harsh lesson for the Hoops.

“It was a fantastic bit of play and a lovely through ball from Jamesy, who was terrific all night and Callum had a very composed finish, which he has done many time before, so it was a great equalisier and one we deserved at the time,” said Armstrong.

“When you play top European teams, you have to make sure you are compact after scoring as top teams will punish you.”

“Jamesy was terrific and he caused a threat for the whole game, inside and outside,” he added. “His pace really threatened them, his delivery was good and his link-up play was excellent and he put through a fantastic through ball for Callum for the goal, so his overall display was magnificent.
    “A lot of the Scottish players in the game tonight were competing at the very best level and in the very best competition so that can only be a good thing for the country.”

Armstrong impressed as did every Hoops player in tremendous team display, but he admitted he was disappointed not to have found the net in the fifth minute after Forrest had picked out his back-post run.

“My first-half chance was disappointing,” he said. “I was slightly put off by the defender diving in but I should have scored. I thought my possession was good and I moved the ball very well and I went close in the second half as well, so I can be pleased.”
    While the knockout stages are now out of the reach for the Celts, they are still in pole position to claim third spot in Group B, with two matches remaining.

“That’s our aim to make sure we are in Europe after Christmas and we are in a good position to do that,” said Armstrong. “But there is still a lot of football to be played and we will need to make sure that we go over the line.”

4. WolfOfParkhead

Fav Celtic Player:
    All about the collective
    I forgot all it takes is 1 * brilliant performance to go toe to toe with bayern.
    It doesn't take a collective of them or anything like that

5. thetic19

that miss in the first half made me scream at my laptop :56:

6. ourdaywillcome! Gold Member Gold Member

His drive on the ball was good today, back to his powerful best, I thought.

Good assist.

7. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    Wasn't motm for me..

Actually surprised he got it..

8. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

Great energy from the midfield two assists and unlucky with a couple of efforts...

Brown, Dembele and KT all candidates with Stu for MOTM..

9. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

10. The Prof Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky
    I thought he was excellent today, great work rate.

11. jj81

nearly hof 4 so i guess it would be rude not to

Ewang83 likes this.
  12. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Picked up an injury and missing the Scotland game.

13. Deco67

Another solid performance

neilly1987 likes this.
  14. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    His running isn't in question. It's hard to defend against but his actual passing in open play again today was garbage..

Needs taken off corners as well..

PEI#1 likes this.
  15. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

I thought he was absolutely * personally...

Gabriel and Mr Shelby like this.
  16. Deco67

* knows what game yous watched. Re corners yes poor but basic fitba is to pressure keeper at corners , he had a free reign every time

17. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    A different one to you clearly..

His basic passing on the break was diabolical..

Gabriel likes this.
  18. Broonybhoy90

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson ,nakamura,Scott sinclair
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic symphony
    Have to agree his general play in the last two games have been far below what he is capable of .question is is he off in January ???

19. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    Should be, otherwise pointless him signing that year deal..

Only way we'll get half decent money is a sale January..

20. Broonybhoy90

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson ,nakamura,Scott sinclair
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic symphony
    That's what I was thinking how much though 8-10mil or more ?? I don't think we should be accepting the * fees we have done in the past