1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Minimum alcohol pricing approved

Discussion in 'TalkCeltic Pub' started by Callum McGregor, Nov 15, 2017.

Discuss Minimum alcohol pricing approved in the TalkCeltic Pub area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Sean Daleer Free Palestine Gold Member

That is one of my biggest gripes. There should be 200% more 7 a side pitches and they should be free.

I would happily pay more for alcohol if that is what my money was being spent on.

2. Bratfurdbhoy1

Well thought I would never say this but glad I live in England now! Cheap booze here. Next time I come up it will be a boot full of booze in my car! Also if the SNP did get independemce what other kind of daftthings would they do-just makes you wonder. Did Sturgeon's mum or dad die from alcohol poisoning and now she has some kind of moral high ground crusade to go on?

3. Sean Daleer Free Palestine Gold Member

Massive indoor facilities like Toryglen should be all over Scotland and they should be subsidised by the government.

You want to force people to get healthy by taxing their little pleasures in life, then use that very same money to get them fit.

4. muffitO'tea

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    But it's not really.
    Sure the stuff like Frosty Jacks or White Lightening will be effected but I can't say I see a downside to that considering the type of drinker they are made for.

5. Tim-Time 1888 Always look on the bright side of Life Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Enrico Annoni
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Hail Hail
    As a country we have a massive problem with drink anything that helps address that is a step forward.

https://www.snp.org/minimum_unit_pricing_alcohol

Reading some of the guff getting posted on here you would think the cost was going to be quadrupled ffs.

6. Sean Daleer Free Palestine Gold Member

That's the way mate.

I drink Frosty Jack. a lot of people drink Frosty Jack. I drink Frosty Jack because I have better things to spend my money on. I'm not a homeless jakey though. I have a bought house and go on holidays every year. I am able to do that because I don't spend a lot on alcohol. I like alcohol but I don't want to spend a lot on it.

But hey, sure, lets crucify one particular type of person, that's not worrying at all. I guess it's ok to be an alcoholic if you can afford it...

7. oh bhoy

If the drink is such a massive problem why not ban it altogether instead of a price rise??

8. Sean Daleer Free Palestine Gold Member

This basically boils down to the SNP chasing laws that target a particular set of people in society.

whether it's football, smoking, alcohol... The laws they bring in only affect the poorest in society.

Are CEO's not alcoholics? Are Lawyers, Judges not fond of the * booze?

If you want to be fair, why not introduce a tax on booze that is in line with your earnings?

Aye * right.

StPauli1916 and oh bhoy like this.
  9. muffitO'tea

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Sure, there's always an exception. But I'm sure you're aware that most frosty jack drinkers aren't going on family holidays and living a balanced, healthy lifestyle.

10. Dalbeth3

Fav Celtic Player:
    to many greats to be able to pick one
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic symphony
    A tin of beer is going to cost a miniumum of a £1 that is in some cases thats a 100% increase, i am still not sure if this is a tax or is it profiteering .
    It will not be any dearer to produce the alcohol , so are the brewers charging the supermarkets more or is it just the retailers who are charging more??

Do any members of the Scottish government have shares in brewers or supermarkets???

11. Sean Daleer Free Palestine Gold Member

so they should be dictated too, told what to do, forced into a way of living? What about the CEO who goes home every night and tans a half bottle of whisky, after tanning a half bottle during work. Does he not need help?

12. StevieBhoooy!

There are plenty of people on low incomes who will enjoy alcohol in moderation or infrequently. This is just a tax in the disguise of 'public health' and with an open license to increase it year on year.

At the very bottom of the chain it might actually be seriously detrimental to health. Those who have been used to or dependent on consuming low cost, high strength alcohol may be pushed towards the old days of ethanol and meths drinking.

Britains REAL alcohol problem ( and Scotland are included here) lies with the working middle class ( 45+ ) and through to people of retired age. In the past it was the guy having a few pints in the pub every night before staggering home. Now It's the 'drink at home' culture that has developed in the last 15-20 years or so... The glass of wine after work each night.... that becomes a bottle a night. The beers watching the game. The Prosecco with the pasta etc etc. It becomes a 7 day a week hobby for some. Doctors are seeing more alcohol related health problems in this age group than ever before and expect it to get worse as the trend continues and the long term impact becomes more apparent. The home drinking pattern is responsible for women featuring more and more in the alcohol statistics as well.

There are many countries around the world where their alcohol pricing completely disproves what Nanny Nicola is forcing onto scots.

Finland for example is extremely expensive but still has alcohol problems snd an issue with illegal stills , so figures are probably higher. Italy however is inexpensive for alcohol (same average income as uk) yet has low consumption.

It's about WHO is drinking (to excess) and WHY that is the issue. Not how much a unit of alcohol costs.

I wonder if Nicola is a 'Tea-totaller'?

U.K. Is 25th btw...

image.jpeg

Last edited: Nov 15, 2017
    Aidan O’Shea likes this.
  13. Sean Daleer Free Palestine Gold Member

Aye, tax booze in line with a persons earnings. Lets see how Farquar enjoys spending 14 grand on a bottle of Cristal. He will thank you in the long run though, it's healthy for him...

14. muffitO'tea

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Of course he does. I'm not saying it's fine to be a middle/upper class alcoholic. Any alcoholic needs help.
    I just don't see the need for companies to make high percentage alcohol drinks and sell them in large volumes for only a couple of quid. It's easy for those already in a bad way to purchase it as well as being cheap enough for kids to buy.
    I get people who enjoy a drink will buy them too but I doubt very much that's who they're aiming at.

Fiferbhoy1991 likes this.
  15. Sean Daleer Free Palestine Gold Member

And you think that is alright?

Governments shouldn't be "aiming" at anyone ffs.

Laws are there for us all, not just to single out certain people.

16. muffitO'tea

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    I meant the alcohol industry, not the government.

17. Sean Daleer Free Palestine Gold Member

You said 'people' mate, not business.

18. Tim-Time 1888 Always look on the bright side of Life Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Enrico Annoni
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Hail Hail
    "Alcohol is now 54 per cent more affordable in the UK than it was in 1980. It is possible in Scotland today to exceed the new lower risk guidelines for alcohol (14 units per week) for less than £3. This is an unacceptable position and we have a responsibility to address this problem."

That is a shocking stat tbh.

http://www.gov.scot/Topics/Health/Services/Alcohol/minimum-pricing

Fiferbhoy1991 and MagicBallBhoy like this.
  19. Sean Daleer Free Palestine Gold Member

So bring in alcohol tax in line with earnings then. Rich people are alcoholics too. they should be "helped" as much as anyone.

I'm sure they will understand, it's for their own good after all...

20. Tim-Time 1888 Always look on the bright side of Life Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Enrico Annoni
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Hail Hail
    Yea you could do that if you want, provided we don't mind them getting treated as a priority given they will have paid far more in tax.
    The research that this is based on is from an independent source outwith the government SD.