1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

[Link] John McGinn

Discussion in 'Transfer Rumours' started by Officer Doofy, May 5, 2017.

Discuss John McGinn in the Transfer Rumours area at TalkCeltic.net.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CookieMonster Geez yer cookies Gold Member

None of those on the list step up when Brown is out, only one I’ve seen hold the midfield well without Broony is Eboue. He’s only 19.

Armstrong will be gone soon having only signed a 1 year extension, Bitton is centre back cover now, Rogic Christie and McGregor are all more attacking players, Rodgers obviously doesn’t fancy Henderson that much. Benyu is a no.10 and winger.

So by the summer realistically the only players in McGinn’s position would be-
    Brown
    Ntcham
    Eboue
    McGregor

McGinn is better defensively than McGregor and Ntcham, also he is clearly captain material, has plenty experience as well. He is Browns successor in my opinion.

2. Valhalla Thus spoke Batistuta.

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    People can debate his ability and if/when he'll be good enough, but the comparisons to Brown are * moronic.

The guy will retire our second greatest captain in our history only to Cesar. Calling someone who's spent the last two years in the Scottish Championship a successor to Brown and 'captain material' for this Celtic team is hilarious and borderline disrespectful.

I wouldn't mind taking a punt on him for £1m or whatever when Armstrong inevitably gets punted in the summer if Brendan fancies him, but he'll never be half the player Broony is for us.

Youngybhoy2 likes this.
  3. CookieMonster Geez yer cookies Gold Member

And I’m sure when Broony came here you would of called folk moronic to say he would become our 2nd best ever captain and lead us to such glory as he has and how much has developed as a player and person to be the leader he is.

McGinn has looked quality from the age of 17 playing for St.Mirren in the premier league, I have wanted him since then. I remember 5 years ago being at an away game to St.Mirren, McGinn gave Broony one of the best battles I’ve seen from an Spl player even back then.

cas79 likes this.
  4. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    I don't think the comparisons are uncalled for, certainly not moronic.

Wouldn't say anything about him being captain etc because you can't predict * like that, but there is certainly no reason why he could not develop into a great player for us IMO.

I've been against the idea in the past but his constant improvement is clear, and Brown himself seems to rate him, never mind Rodgers.

At the end of the day you have to trust in the opinion of guys like that.

As has been said, if you were to say to someone in 2007 that Brown would go on to be our record European Apperance holder, invincible treble winning captain, still be at the club after 10 year, while on the way to winning 10-in-a-row, you'd have been laughed oot of Parkheid.

5. Momo Sylla

Problem is to clubs like County that's serious money which makes this problem an endless cycle.

I don't see why either tbh but it's a case of trying to get better value for players up here. If possibly the best talent outside us is only worth £2m it doesn't say much for the league. With the money flying around south we should be holding clubs to ransom rather than accepting the first pitiful offer.

Peej likes this.
  6. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    I was unsure about whether we needed him and have changed my mind on him a few time's, despite always rating McGinn..

The Brendan factor excites me about this boy though. We've seen how he improves all aspects of a player's game, maybe even particularly for midfielders as seen with Armstrong, McGregor and Broony at the wrong side of his career. I now EXPECT anyone who comes here or play's from youth's up to improve drastically under this coaching staff..

I also feel like Brendan wants to keep a core of homegrown player's and get the impression he likes that romantic side of having and developing as many as possible. With Armstrong definitely gonna be off, it makes sense..

7. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

This.

Even at St Mirren, McGinn always gave Brown a game. Since then he has been improving every year, to the point where he's now getting in the Scotland squad and standing out in big matches for Hibs against us, Hearts and Aberdeen.

When you see what Rodgers has done with Armstrong and McGregor, why can't McGinn improve further with us?

ScouseHoops and CookieMonster like this.
  8. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    Broony was the most hyped player in Scottish history, I doubt you’d have people disagreeing that he could have become that.

9. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    I really like McGinn. Just can’t see him get in our midfield when Kouassi and Ntcham are struggling.

10. ScouseHoops Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace/The Huddle Song!
    Just playing devils advocate...

Don't we already have Benyu? BR Bought him instead so must see him as a better prospect?

11. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

Yeah it would certainly be a battle to get in. Just feel like we'd regret not signing McGinn.

12. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

Benyu and McGinn are very different players.

Benyu looks more of a playmaker/winger, whereas McGinn is more about getting in players faces and driving from midfield.

ScouseHoops likes this.
  13. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    I think that as well but I also thinking us signing him could ruin him

14. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

Hmm, I know what you mean.

Like I said before, it's just bad timing for both parties. Our midfield is very strong.

Liam Scales likes this.
  15. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    Certainly agree momo, we've seen the dross moving down south, * even abroad now, and what value they put on them.

Christ, championship players are going for double figures, if not in the 20+million range now. And as * as Scotland national team has been, we make up a helluva large percentage of championship players. Guys like fletcher, McCornack, Burke, Rhodes etc can demand the silly money they do, then the rest of the Scottish league surely can't be that far off the same.

Honestly, in today's market if Mcginn was playing down south, he would be worth 8 or 9 million, no doubt.
    Of if he was English he would have been snapped up by a Liverpool by now for 25million, looking at you Jordan henderson.

But as you say, teams like county are looking at quarter of a million and seeing that as money that keeps them ticking over. They don't have much of a say in holding on to these players.

For that, we have the guys in charge of our league to blame. * up the sky tv deal years ago really did * us big time. Now we get such a pitiful deal, it's barely keeping clubs going at times (most not actually going bust like the sfa would have you believe, but they aren't flush with cash) in the sense that they can hold on to players long term and offer extended deals that are enticing. There is little room for growth for most clubs in the league, we plod along at the level we are accepting the dregs of a tv deal and living and working within that tiny bubble we reside in.

Crying shame, but we have all said it for years now, how much the men in charge of our game have * us over. Yet none of us do much about it.

For me, that's why guys like Mcginn won't really go for more than the 2 million mark, because teams can't afford to pay much more, and the selling club can't afford not to accept such an offer.
    Lawwell ain't going to be daft and offer the 4million just out the kindness of his heart, when he knows fine well he can get him for less. And if not, then he will go find a better prospect abroad for similar, if not less, price.

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

16. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    If Brendan wanted him in then I don't see him ruining him..

He'd obviously see something in him and a future for him here. With some progression under a top coach, the rest would be up to him..

No reason why he can't improve here. If not though, then we cut our losses down the line and punt him to England..

It's a similar-ish case to McCarthy (although he is and was a better player), at a smaller club in Scotland (had to get that one in, although true), Celtic daft and clear interest. We missed out on McCarthy and i remember being * at the time and due to his success and the over inflated market down there, we've never been able to get him back. Could McGinn be a similar case but obviously not quite at that level?

In today's market if he goes to the championship we'll probably be priced out of McGinn if we were ever interested again. Good engine, good age, improving, know's the club, the league. With Armstrong for the off and Broony eventually having to call it a day, it is important to keep that going in an important area of the pitch think..

I think that'll possibly be in Brendan's mind..

Officer Doofy likes this.
  17. mickcfc91

Fav Celtic Player:
    Current - Scott Brown .. All Time - Lubo n henrik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Wiley Maley
    Been the best player second half.

18. jpr21

Fav Celtic Player:
    mcgregor
    Fav Celtic Song:
    willie maley
    MOTM

Do not let him slip through the net. One of our own .

19. Jack Torrance Heeeeeere's Johnny! Gold Member

This.

20. Bratfurdbhoy1

One thing I noticed he has no pace especially when back tracking. Which is one of Broonys strengths .

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.