1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Confess your unpopular opinion

Discussion in 'TalkCeltic Pub' started by ColeraineBhoy, Mar 14, 2014.

Discuss Confess your unpopular opinion in the TalkCeltic Pub area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Mr. Slippyfist

Just had a quick google there.

* me man, if those * are peados, then they are * off their (excuse the pun) rockers!!!

Sick * :56::56::56:

Sean Daleer likes this.
  2. LV426 Guest

exactly, this has been hijacked to point out people who for whatever reason choose not to wear/support this cause.

3. Sween

Probably the kid given it feels easier when you can look into its eyes and communicate with it. Apparently humans are wired to protect the lives of children closest to puberty and then less so as they get older. Which intuitively feels right in that in the same scenario I would likely pick a 10 year old over a 5 year old, but a 5 year old over a 50 year old.

But if I could save a 5 year old kid or 10 old people who are 99 years old I think I would save the kid. Which isnt to say I believe it is morally acceptable to kill people when they are old.

I can think of many horrible either/so scenarios to conclude that we should kill someone of any age but you cannot conclude that it is therefore acceptable to kill humans as standard or that people do not have an innate right to life.

I dont know - just the usual online dafties. See reactions to the likes of James Maclean or Connor Mcgregor for example. I dont really know anyone like that in real life but they are clearly out there.

4. Fiferbhoy1991

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace

So you value the life of a child who you can look at in the eyes and communicate with higher than the 'lives' on 10 embryos. Therefore your earlier statement about there being no difference between an abortion and killing a child is not strictly true then.

5. Sween

Mmm. Not sure. I view the right to life for humans to be universal but given I would actively choose to save the 5 year old over 10, 99 year olds, perhaps it isnt correct to use the term 'equal' or to say no difference at all. Maybe its strictly a case of universal as a general concept but with a cavaet in absolutely extreme either/or cases one life may be consider more worthy than another.

So I grant you the technicality. But I dont think it has any bearing on the debate (I would save ten soon to be born fetuses over ten 99 year olds for example)

6. Fiferbhoy1991

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    When does it qualify as 'soon to be born' though. Btw, I'm not having a go at you or advocating for late stage abortions or abortion as contraception, just find the absolutilst position on abortion to be one thats strange for me to wrap my head round,

7. Bumblebee

Not for the perpetuation of slavery or nothin' of course, but come on why wouldn't you want the side to win that has places like the Mississippi, Tennessee, Virginia and so on. And generals with crackin; names like Stonewall Jackson, and Robert E. Lee (who was against slavery by the way) and General Beauregard.

Also, Jesse James, Frank James, * Bill Anderson, and ehh a few of the confederate generals were relatives of my ancestors. Here is a few photos of the smashing chaps.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hoorah for the Confederacy :fear:

Sween likes this.
  8. Aidan O’Shea

I was reading recently that the confederacy was largely made up of Democrats, who were more in favour of perpetuating slavery.

9. Bumblebee

That isn't breaking new sherlock. The South seceded to continue slavery but not everyone who fought for the South were for the perpetuation of slavery. Many figures including Robert E. Lee himself viewed slavery as an outdated and abhorrent stain on their nation, but fought for the confederacy because they were Virginians , Mississippians etc etc.

It isn't as straightforward as history paints it to be honest.

10. KRS-1888 Scott La Rock

'Sappenin Bitton' isn't remotely funny.

TheHappyLoss likes this.
  11. hakumeikirameki

Fav Celtic Player:
    Ever: The King; Now: Leigh Griffiths
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    We're not paedophiles.

packybhoy and PaulM1888 like this.
  12. Aidan O’Shea

Yeah, I know it’s not breaking news. I just had never read anything about the American Civil War and was surprised.

Bumblebee likes this.
  13. Bumblebee

Sorry thought ye were being a smart *.
    You didn't know the politicians and rich families seceded to keep their slaves?

14. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    If I wore one it would go against all I stand for in that regard.

I don't necessarily have anything against the millions of men who fought and died in both wars. I had relatives who were forced to do so and were it not for them I wouldn't be here today.

However the whole notion just doesn't interest me and like has been said on the last page, noone should dictate whether or not I wear one. If you want to, fire in. Just don't tell me that I also have to.

If I want to show respect to those who died ill do it in my own way. The whole history surrounding the poppy is typical of the British 'way'.

Oh, and us Scots were also the first over the top and used as cannon fodder. So * the English. Just thought I'd add that in.

CalgaryBhoy and StPauli1916 like this.
  15. Sween

I am not absolutionist in that I don't think I would make all abortion illegal and I can think of various extreme scenarios where the decisions is so horrible that it becomes a moral grey area (like murder or any other bad act). In those extreme cases I think people should be supported whatever they choose.

To be honest I dont really think about all that much or feel particularly strongly about it. It just feels intuitively wrong and it doesnt sit well with me the extent to which our society promotes choice. It feels like an extension of our selfish throwaway culture when many people have such a lax attitude to abortion. It feels like such a horrible thing to fight to allow people to do.

As regards the how early question, I probably dont know enough. But I was amazed at our 12 week scan how much our wee guy was formed, stretching, and reacting to being moved around. So by that point certainly, he was human in my eyes. The idea that people want to push to allow people to kill 'that' just feels so morally wrong on an intuitive level

16. Sween

If I were around at the time and belonged to a border state I would probably side with the South.

Also worth nothing the North never fought to free all slaves, but rather they fought to free all slaves in the South. Slaves in the north they didnt seem too fussed about!

The whole race stuff has completely distorted the civil war- largely because history, media, film, etc, has come from the North. The North was never less racist than the South and the largest race riots, when blacks were caught and lynched, were in the North not the South.

The liberal fashion to bash all things conferedate as 'racist' is plain dumb as it was never any more racist than America as a whole was (or any other European empire at that time).

Bumblebee likes this.
  17. Valhalla Thus spoke Batistuta.

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    :56:

Doogs. likes this.
  18. StPauli1916 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Oliver Tebilly
    Fav Celtic Song:
    George and Pop
    If you were around at the time and belonged to a border state you would have probably side with the rest of your family.

19. Aidan O’Shea

I knew that, was just unaware of the fact so many were Democrats.

20. Bumblebee

It split some families down the middle too though.