1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Is persevering with an expansive game in the CL the way forward?

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Zander, Oct 20, 2017.

Discuss Is persevering with an expansive game in the CL the way forward? in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Avatar Daizen The Last Hunskelper Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Charlie Mulgrew
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The SAM Song
    Tbf our tactics havent been a problem against the top sides in europe. All our problems are down to the players * themselves.

If the team just started every match playing the way they normally do after going 3-0 down we'd be running these * a lot closer.

neilly1987 likes this.
  2. John Bhoy79 What chance have you got against a tie and a crest

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson,Jinky,McGrory,Jota
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    The main problem is we keep making the same basic errors. Poor defending, individual mistakes, slack passing etc.

3. oh bhoy

Totally agree with this ,doesn't matter if your playing defensive or offensive if you can't pass the ball to each other .
    I don't see the harm in setting up in a more defensive manner when playing away to bayern I'd imagine there a couple of clubs who would think they could go there and impose their style and come away with a positive result.I actually liked the fact that Rodgers changed things up when they weren't working after the Ronny tunnel vision ,hate to think he's just going to do the same thing when we go to paris.
    Most teams will try and Win the home games and if they get something on the road its a bonus

4. Mr Diggler

There must be room for pragmatism. I think in the end at Liverpool it was a huge gripe of fans that he was too stubborn. Against the top teams yes I would like to see us a bit more defensive. Still would like us to keep the ball and pass it well but there is no reason we cant keep it tight whilst doing it. For instance have a 4-1-2-3 type formation. I.e

Brown
    Armstrong Ntcham

We are just to open otherwise. Same type of style but just few tweaks to the formation.

5. rkid

Fav Celtic Player:
    Neil Lennon
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Broad Black Brimmer
    I'd go with the approach that has worked in the past - Defensive, long balls etc. Might not be the most popular option but we never got completely humped playing like that and got us to the last sixteen a few times so it can't be that bad. We'll never be able to play our usual football against the big boys and be successful but we have proven in the past it's possible to frustrate them and get a result that way.

6. Mr. Slippyfist

We play defensive whilst faced with the onslaught from some of the best players and teams in European football, and the world, cross our fingers that we dont concede and try get a lucky goal here and there.

Or

We try amd play like these teams, take the game to them on their own patches the way we would expect us to do at Celtic Park, and see where we get?

I pick the latter.

I'd rather see us go out and get beat by 4 goals trying to play the right way, as opposed to parking the bus amd still getting beat 9 times out of 10.

It seems to me like people want us to play in the CL the way teams like Motherwell, Kilmarnock or Hamilton do against us every week in the league. * that *.

We lose having a go, or we lose like cowards......what's it to be?

trackebhoy likes this.
  7. Mystic Penguin

Fav Celtic Player:
    Samaras
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Amhrán na bhFiann
    Park the bus against the big teams for sure.

rkid likes this.
  8. celtic warrior

We could set up tactically however we want, defensive, attacking, 4-6-0, 6-4-0, 4-2-4, 4-1-5 any random combo of weird mental formations.

The problem we have is that collectively we will never have a squad capable of regularly competing against the PSG, bayern, Barca, Real of this world in the way that were used to in the past.

Perhaps we might spring a surprise once in a while like the city games (* playing them now BTW) but by and large even that is going to become a rarity and in all honesty I don't see how anyone at Celtic could solve that problem without going to places like Qatar and sucking them off just so we get a similar cash injection that the likes of PSG have had.

It's annoying and if I'm being brutally honest I don't really see us being any better on the Europa, as when taking a look at the group standings as they are, there is some serious quality there, atletico, Dortmund, Napoli, Leipzig/Porto that could drop in with us if tables stay as they are.

Even if we continue to qualify for CL, I really don't see a future for Scottish teams in European football in even 5 years time, just because of how money is ruining the game and allowing the super elite to just Hoover up talent across the globe and either let them rot or sell to each for disgusting amounts.

9. moravcik1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    The way forard is to buy quality Centre backs, the minute either Jozo or Boyata is injured we're *. We like Brendan, but sorry he made a huge mistake by not finding and signing a quality centre back in the summer.

10. trackebhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    ANDY THOM
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    The same people will give these teams dogs abuse for doing it against us in the league

I would rather BR keeps at it as this is the only way for progression

11. Sween

I think if you do not have the skill or composure to pass out from the back and pass around teams like Bayern then why try. There is no shame in parking the bus or going direct and there is no glory in sticking to a philosophy that gives you almost no chance of success.

The obvious problem is that the team is built based on that philosophy and it becomes tough to revert to a direct or long ball gane if you dont have the players. It worked for ONeill and Lennon as they both had a least one big target man. We dont have any.

But I do think we need to come up with a plan B. Likely we will still get beat but it would at least give us a better chance.

12. HoopswithPride

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul "The Maestro" McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Hail, Hail
    The fact that Scottish Football journalists think we should be changing our approach says it all for me. 20 years of being totally inadequate at International level is no coincidence. Scottish Football needs to change it's attitude towards how we go about games. And the sooner these press goons and others realise this, the better.

We were poor for 2 goals the other night. It wasn't to do with a lack of numbers or being to attacking. Poor decision making was one of the reasons. We didn't play to anywhere near what we can against PSG or Bayern, but even if we did, there would be no guarantees that the outcome would have been any different. The quality of opponent is a bigger indicator.

Played a 5-4-1 when we got leathered from Barcelona last year. Again the quality is the bigger factor. Why would/should we play in a mentality which goes against the makeup/ability of our squad?

Mentioned it in another thread. There's a worrying fascination in the media and with the mentality of football fans in Scotland to failure or negativity.

We won 3-0 away to Anderlecht and the result was underplayed and discredited by saying the opposition were poor.

I hope we continue to be positive with our play in Europe. And we have plenty of room to improve on into the bargain.

13. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    There needs to be a balance, the 3 times we have gotten through to the last 16 we had a very balanced way of playing and sometimes outright just shut up shop.

Lenny’s run is the perfect way to approach it for me, we went for Spartak Moscow’s throat, defended for our lives and destroyed Barca’s game, scrapped it out with Benfica...

We scored the most goals we ever have in the CL and gained the most points as well, that’s the template. We have better players and are a better team now, BR needs to sacrifice his philosophy just a smidgen when it comes to the elite of the footballing game. Protect your defence, otherwise it’s suicide.

Moustache, Mr Shelby and The Prof like this.
  14. Bratfurdbhoy1

Back at Liverpool is that why they fell out because of Brendan's all in approach in Europe. To be fair I am still so happy with Brendan we all know that this is between us and Anderlect for the Europa league. Time to pump HIbs on Saturday.

15. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

I'm happy to have a go at Celtic Park and try and impose our own game using our favoured 4-2-3-1

Away from home against the best playing two attack minded wingers is foolish.

I'd go with a formation that allows us to press and counter attack as team, giving us some sort of defensive platform to work from..

Gordon
    Lustig Simunovic Boyata
    Forrest Brown Ntcham KT
    McGregor
    Griffiths Dembele

16. The Prof Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky

Totally agree. :50:

17. Clint Eastwood The Good Bad and Ugly of TC

We're very unlikely to get many results against teams of the calibre of PSG and Bayern regardless. Is there any shame in losing 3-0 away to Bayern especially if you stick to your beliefs and try to play the way you want to? I don't think so. Brendan will never be the type of manager to tell his team to park the bus, it's just not in his DNA and it's never gonna happen.

18. Cupid Stunt

Away from home for sure, think it's almost a little naive going to places like Munich and thinking we can impose our style on the game.

19. Jeffrey

Don't listen to these pundits, we have one of the best managers about. Bredan knows far more about fitbaw and how to manage a team than any the fuds criticising us.

20. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    This.

It totally depends on the opposition. It's too easy to use the excuse of the gap being bigger, so * it lets just go for it. That will see us get shagged time and time again.

If we were a bit more pragmatic and defensively minded it would make it harder for these teams to open us up. Right now we are getting basics wrong in defence time and time again. Worry for me is how cheaply we give away some goals, teams aren't having to work for them and against top opposition that's not on. For what its worth I didn't think we were as bad is being made out the other night, by the way.

Rodgers isn't a defensive coach, though. He's an attack minded manager and domestically and even against lesser sides in Europe it has paid off for us big time. If he really has ambitions to regularly compete on this level and make the last 16 again however, then he will have to alter things now and again IMO. In the past, the only way we could get through was to be defensive and hard to beat and there will be occasions when this is called for.

As JC says above you can be defensive and still manage to counter quickly and effectively, right now we seem a bit stuck in between two areas. As admirable as it is to play the same style each and every time, we need to be less naive at times. I'd be happy if we could play beautiful football 90% of the time and then be able to alter it to suit a more uphill challenge.

JC Anton likes this.