1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Gord Downie of The Tragically Hip dead

Discussion in 'TalkCeltic Pub' started by Momo Sylla, Oct 18, 2017.

Discuss Gord Downie of The Tragically Hip dead in the TalkCeltic Pub area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Momo Sylla

2. bassbhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Ronnie Simpson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    celtic symphony
    yeah I live in western Canada and there are a lot of people really busted up about him dying.
    Im a musician myself and when we play this weekend at the bar i will be singing a couple of his songs.
    he was a poet for sure, and the tragically hip are an iconic Canadian band.
    I never really saw why he was treated as a messiah among canadian music fans, .but he definitley got the love in this country if not in in the US

Momo Sylla and CalgaryBhoy like this.
  3. CalgaryBhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tha Thumb
    A huge part of Canadian music history. Our Prime Minister has even made a statement on his passing.

There was a period before I was born where they were a huge deal apparently, very popular in my country. Until his diagnosis around a year or two ago I never really thought of the Hip as a "big band". Was never a big fan of their music but it obviously meant a lot to a ton of people.

Markos1972 likes this.
  4. Momo Sylla

All I really know is that they were huge in Canada. I don't think over here many people have even heard of them outside of music people like myself. After the US losing Tom Petty the other week that's two icons who were pretty representative of their culture gone which is sad.

5. Markos1972

American friend of mine got me into them a few years back now-really liked their stuff.Road Apples was a huge fave of mine

6. Farmer

This one sucks. I'm not in Canada right now so I've kind of been insulated from this a little bit and I haven't even really let it sink in. Not much for nationalist * but this dude was a national treasure, and the kind who didn't really make it outside the country's borders, so he was all our own. I remember getting home just in time to catch the very last song of their very last tour which was nationally televised on CBC and I cried through the whole thing. As did the whole country. RIP Gordo.