1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

We NEED a new keeper

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by LectersLuncheon, Sep 14, 2017.

Discuss We NEED a new keeper in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. joemc

Could have another 3 years after this one easily ,avoiding injuries ,we could not afford to buy a gk the same quality as Gordon and we got lucky getting him .
    Like others have said all keepers make mistakes we only remember the bad points in them ,it's the nature of the game .

Easter Rd Davie and StPauli1916 like this.
  2. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

I agree fully we need a new keeper. Not because we were hammered 5 nil but because he's the weak link in our team.

I also agree with whoever said it was a bigger deal than centre half. When Boyata and Erik are fit, a goalkeeper is 100% a bigger concern than a centre half.

Peej likes this.
  3. celtic warrior

This is something I totally believe, fair enough some (even me) hate the idea of Bitton there but when Rodgers has the "quality" of Jozo, Boyata, Erik, Ajer, Bitton and even KT and Lustig as CB's I really do struggle to see how we can realistically improve that pool of talent.

Where as I feel like between Gordon and DDV I believe we can comfortably improve that and in doing so, would even improve the efficiency and perfomances of the defenders in front of him.

4. Bumblebee

Gordon seen this thread and this post in particular, ye see his double save today :84:

Peej and Easter Rd Davie like this.
  5. 10/4 Kemosabe Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson/ Danny McGrain
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the People Sing
    What on earth are you smoking?

6. celtic warrior

Is it so unbelievable to think Celtic can improve their options in goal to better the Gordon and DDV.

He was magic today, but I still believe we can get a gk who can command his box better and and be more imposing then him.

Aidan O’Shea likes this.
  7. 10/4 Kemosabe Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the People Sing
    Theres a whole debate to be had about keepers "commanding" their box. Its being bred out of keepers now. Many wont come for crosses as they are told to leave for the CB's. And as keepers are so big now the % is even if the striker gets a head on target they will take their chances at saving it. Forster was similar to this. You just need to look around, especially in England at the dearth of bang average keepers going for silly money.

Gordon has came back from a career ending injury, rehabilitated himself and got into our side. Then Rodgers has came in and he has had to reinvent himself as a sweeper keeper. I rate much higher than De Vries and to get someone better than both would cost money we dont need to spend.

8. Easter Rd Davie Once a Celt, Always a Celt Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    James McGrory
    Fav Celtic Song:
    In The Heat of Lisbon
    :notworthyI seem to remember that Craig was a major factor in meaning that we qualified for the knockout stages of the :57:Europa League in his first season??

Plus, check this out, from earlier today: https://mobile.twitter.com/goalforceltic/status/909083654672076806/video/1 :30::lol:

9. joemc

yeh I saw that 1 today , was stunning , his first year was his best year and gave him a lot to live up to and I guess that is were he is judged .

Xatraps likes this.
  10. bhoy81

from parkhead glasgow but now live in merseyside
    I think he should be replaced for next season.

Said it a few times and it's another position we can strengthen.

Gordon will do for this season bit we need to get a better keeper.

AnnoniOnAnawNoo and Celticbhoy17 like this.
  11. LectersLuncheon

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henke
    Fav Celtic Song:
    all of them
    Knew it was only a matter of time before yesterdays "wonder Save" was posted on this thread as evidence that Gordon is up to scratch.

It wouldn't take much to find videos of him nutmegging himself against fenerbache, or kung fu kicking alloa players, or his strictly come dancing against ajax, or getting beat at his near post for the umpteenth * time.

@10/4 Kemosabe, as for "rehabilitating himself", I believe he sent a heart felt thank you to Sevco for that, and they still wouldn't sign him ffs. Neither would hearts when he went cap in hand to both sides.

Not that I think he's not comitted or anything :fear:

Im just of the mind that we can and should do a * of alot better.

FrankMcCallum likes this.
  12. littlekennie

Fav Celtic Player:
    nakamura
    Fav Celtic Song:
    four leaf clover
    Someone should post the hamilton goal where he was off his line

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

13. 10/4 Kemosabe Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the People Sing
    Aye, am sure we can do better. Just remind me how much Jordan Pickford went to Everton for again? Also we signed the Nottingham Forests best keeper last season, and someone Rodgers wanted in. And Gordon seen him off. Funny how some fans are keen to highlight the odd mistakes he has made (hes by no means perfect) but then when his wonder save yesterday is mentioned or the fact his save was voted best ever in EPL or the countless other times he has saved us, they are just glossed over as flukes. Flukes for the * umpteenth time.

Thank * Brendan Rodgers is in charge of the side.

Easter Rd Davie and JC Anton like this.
  14. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    They aren't flukes but I still think he's quite a weak keeper. He reminds me of a Joe Hart type, capable of the unreal but has a lot of very basic mistakes in him.

We've been spoiled with Boruc and Forster behind the decade previous to him. Gordon is decent, nothing more, he does have some major glaring weaknesses and he's only getting older. I'd be looking for a replacement.

But keepers is one of Brendan's weaknesses, if you look at his time at Liverpool as well.

15. Lancashire Nick

Fav Celtic Player:
    Bobby Lennox
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields Of Athenry
    It would be nice to upgrade the goalkeeping position, but as Everton's signing of Pickford shows, in order to get a top class keeper, you have to pay more than we can afford.

Maybe we can get lucky and find a gem in the lower leagues somewhere, or else languishing in a foreign league (the Germans and Italians seem to have loads of good keepers at the minute); but I suspect that Craig Gordon is about as good as we can expect for the fees we can pay.

StPauli1916 likes this.
  16. 10/4 Kemosabe Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the People Sing
    He hasnt had a settled CB pairing in front of him this season, which was more of an issue than anything else, especially as we had the chance to sign one in the window and failed to do so.

And the same gripes fans have with Gordon are the same ones fans had when we had Forster and Boruc playing for us. We will struggle to get a keeper in of Gordons quality... but time will tell on that. How on earth we went 55 domestic games unbeaten with a weak keeper is remarkable.

StPauli1916 likes this.
  17. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    He hasn't had a settled centre back pairing his full Celtic career? Because his weaknesses have been on show for that full time. I also said he's decent with some glaring weaknesses, not that he's a weak keeper. Do you think he has no weaknessses. Boruc and Forster were several levels above him and could make a difference in the Champions League. Gordon isn't, we need that if we're going to step up a level.

It's the same reason MON's teams didn't go one stage further in Europe than either Lenny's or WGS despite having a vastly superior team. They two had a keeper that could make the difference.

18. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

I can't help but think the fact he's a nice guy that people gravitate to because of his story is the reason he gets such an easy ride. The DDV signing and subsequent throwing him right in proves Rodgers does have his concerns over Gordon.

I'd love us to sign a young keeper with bags of potential and slowly bed him in with the view of him being the long term solution in goal for us.

Liam Scales likes this.
  19. 10/4 Kemosabe Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the People Sing

Sorry mate, I must have misread this from you "he's quite a weak keeper" Apologies.

Liam Scales likes this.
  20. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

I would have liked to have seen De Vries played for the LC campaign just to have a look at him..

It's an area we should strengthen but only with quality an upgrade.. easier said than done..