1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Champions League away tickets

Discussion in 'Celtic Supporters Info' started by Neil1888, Aug 22, 2017.

Discuss Champions League away tickets in the Celtic Supporters Info area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Neil1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson, Boruc
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Youll never walk alone
    Well bhoys and ghirls we've made it again to the promised land which can mean only one thing - time to start planning! :)

I don't post regularly on here so apologies if I've misplaced where this thread should be created. I couldn't find anywhere specific to post this.

I'm looking for advice on how to approach purchasing away champions league tickets for this year. I've never done an away trip and would love to do one! There would be a group of 3 of us looking to go somewhere.

I'm a STH (season ticket holder) and I seem to understand that Celtic will open the away tickets to purchase for those who have traveled 3 or 4 times in the last 12 games, firstly. Is this correct? Thereafter, do they then open it to season ticket holders only? How does the priority system work for away tickets?

I understand they are going to be extremely sought after.
    So if we draw an English team, I may as well forget it as I imagine tickets wouldn't even come to STH's.
    Likewise, a destination not as lucrative would be easier perhaps? I would love a Spanish trip but again, I imagine there would be high demand.

When do the away tickets become available? Are they issued all together before the campaign kicks off or do they become available a certain period before the game eg. 4 weeks before rather than all at the start of September before the campaign starts.

Sorry for all these questions but I'm clueless when it comes to purchasing away tickets. I just want to be fully prepared in case I need to take any action come draw time on Thursday or I need to be prepared for when tickets go on sale.

2. Lion1961 Bookmaker

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky Johnstone
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fenian Record Player
    European aways go to ST's only and investors and there is different criteria for each game depending on our allocation. It can vary from attending 12 of 15 down to as low as one away in X. Even on occasion but not very often open general sale to all ST holders if you are prepared to pay the "Celtic Travel Charter" price. ie a day trip.

The problem comes in that Celtic insist on seeing proof of travel before they will allocate you a ticket. The criteria often doesn't become known until a week or two before the game so obviously flight costs increase substantially even though the dates can be known up to three months in advance.

Nothing to stop you travelling away under your own means and try picking up a ticket in the home end such as many did when we played in Germany. Manchester last season.

Another option is to get a ST holder who meets the criteria who can't go to buy the away ticket and sell it to you. But then you won't build up your own points for future aways.

Getting another ST to buy for you though only works if Celtic don't insist on issuing the ticket in person to the person who bought it at the away venue and demand passport as proof of id when picking up the ticket.

Last way I can think of is to travel with a recognised CSC bus who get their allocations direct from Celtic. ie registered with the Affiliation or Supporters Asscociation. That though will only apply I reckon to places where it's economical to run a bus, eg France Germany, England etc. Even there though I think i'm right in saying any Affiliation or Association CSC had to be registered with all members names with Celtic before this season started. That's certainly the case for domestic aways.

The home games will be offered to ST holders in a three match package and ST's most likely offered the chance to buy extra 3 match packages before any general sale takes place. Each ST holder who buys their own 3 match package will pay in three instalments. Each instalment gets taken about a week before each game. Any extra packages bought will be more expensive and will have to be paid for in full upfront.

Any other questions just ask. If I don't know the answer someone else might and if not I can find out.

3. Neil1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson, Boruc
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Youll never walk alone
    Perfect - thanks for the detailed response on all those points I raised.

It seems like I wouldn't have a great chance meeting the criteria for the away games then having been to no European away games previously. Catch 22 almost.

So assuming they become available to just STH's like myself and they only release the criteria a week or beforehand, will the celtic website just release the dates of when they will go on sale?
    A week or two before hand to me seems not a lot of time to prepare (assuming you don't book flights/accommodation beforehand) for the trip. Maybe just me though!

I didn't mention in my above post but I did go to the Man City away game last year but could only be there tickets for the home end. Would just like to experience an away game in the celtic end in the champions league.
    As you pointed out, that Man City game obviously doesn't count for any points towards my ST so doesn't help me for future away games unfortunately which makes sense.

I think asking around other supporters may be the best option to go since it seems unlikely the criteria would reach to STH's only.

Out of interest, obviously the bigger the away allocation the more chance of getting an away ticket. Which venues/countries would be more prone to allocating a larger away end? Bigger stadiums if it's based on a percentage of the stadium?

I got the 3 game home package last year and will obviously be getting that again this year.

Thanks again Lion for the detailed and useful response :84:

4. Lion1961 Bookmaker

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky Johnstone
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fenian Record Player
    It's very difficult for anyone to get on the European aways criteria met ladder i'm afraid.

When the criteria initially gets announced on the website you just need to keep an eye on it as it can change without much notice. Sometimes when the initial deadline has passed a new deadline and criteria gets announced. Not 100% sure but think sometimes new announcements go out on Twitter only so maybe worth having that?

Yes the bigger stadiums will most likely offer us a larger allocation. That's not to say though Celtic will take it all. All I can say is you just have to keep the eyes and ears open and grab anything you can. In my opinion though avoid the secondary ticket sites though as they are nearly all rip off merchants or scams.

5. Neil1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson, Boruc
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Youll never walk alone
    Sensational Lion :50: Thanks for all the info. You've answered all the questions I was wanting to know more about!

6. Paradise88

I'll be after a spare home ticket, as i never took up my seat this season. If anyone hears off any going spare then please quote me here!

7. Lion1961 Bookmaker

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky Johnstone
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fenian Record Player
    Requests to buy or sell specific match tickets should be made in the ticket exchange section.

Paradise88 likes this.
  8. Millerntor

It's not really. More often than not we don't sell our allocations in particular the qualifiers eg think we are talking four games last season and the two this season have been open to all season ticket holders. Even the other season we sent back 1000 odd Ajax tickets.

9. Bobo_ Gold Member Gold Member

Anderlecht criteria is 8 European away games in the last two seasons : £65 each

10. carraigbhoy Gold Member Gold Member

Well, Ive just secured four for the away Munich game @£99 each, but the feckers hit me with vat and a handling fee and converted it to Euro (without telling me, but it may be in the small print) :31:

11. carraigbhoy Gold Member Gold Member

Still need another 6 by the way , will try over there

12. Millerntor

Two sets of prices - £65 for daytrip, £46 for Independant travellers.

13. Bobo_ Gold Member Gold Member

Seen that. Interesting to say the least.

Wonder will the independents and Celtic travel punters actually be in different sections/stands

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. rorylando45

Fav Celtic Player:
    Boruc, Nakamura, Robson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Hail, Hail
    I'm not sure how you've managed this mate as they're not even on sale yet

15. Lion1961 Bookmaker

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky Johnstone
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fenian Record Player
    You can buy home end for Bayern through ebay.de and the Bayern secondary market. Not sure myself how the latter works exactly but few German guys I know have used it to get me home end tickets for Munich.

16. carraigbhoy Gold Member Gold Member

I was doing some research to make sure that it wasnt a fake site, it appears viagogo are one of several companies nominated by Bayern to sell on unused season and corporate ticket options. They are pricey for sure, but at least they are legit

Last edited: Sep 11, 2017
  17. rorylando45

Fav Celtic Player:
    Boruc, Nakamura, Robson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Hail, Hail
    Ah OK sorry I thought you meant away end tickets

18. jake10

Fav Celtic Player:
    whoever is our new record spend
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Go on home british soldiers
    Couldn't get in with my season ticket last night but my bhoy got in with his, both in my name and last nights tickets bought at the same time, had to go to ticket office to get a paper one, when I got there people were queueing out the door despite all 12 booths being staffed as this happened to loads of people, missed first 20mins * RAGIN

19. carraigbhoy Gold Member Gold Member

No probz

20. Bratfurdbhoy1

Unlucky that we were in charge the first 20 mins never shipped a goal lol