1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

McGregor v Mayweather - 26th Aug 2017

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Callum McGregor, Jul 12, 2017.

Discuss McGregor v Mayweather - 26th Aug 2017 in the Other Sports area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Nasser

He's a lot more complex and intelligent than the media show that's for sure, and like a lot of people has different sides to his personality. I don't think there is any bullshit with Conor if you show him respect he will show it back, but if show the slightest bit of anything else then will go to war with you.

The coverage of him in silly coats and driving cars is aimed at the American audience, it fits in with the whole American dream blue-collar man done good crap they love over there. Conor plays on that, and he's done very well from it.

I can imagine his UFC comeback it will be like a king returning, 10X the ego and even louder and more brash and they will lap that up. I can imagine him coming out to that return of the mac song and be wearing that White mink coat. If Conor was humble and quiet he would be a no one, people forget how much Ali was hated and loved, Conor has aspects of Ali and even Bruce Lee with his wisdom of martial arts. When Conor is flaunting his money it's more of a * you I told you now look at me, but with Floyd it's a huge part of America culture.

2. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    That sounded a fun night..

3. scootz

I give Mcgregor no credit for his performance, or for staying-in there for 10 rounds against the genius of Mayweather

The fight was called precisely right in advance by those who know their boxing - McG would be allowed to set the pace, and any apparent 'successes' he might have gained during that period of the fight would have been given-up to him by his opponent.

I generally don't enjoy Mayweathers fights and I think he's a bawbag of a human for his treatment to women. By * he can establish a winning strategy against ANYONE though, but more tellingly he has the balls to stick to that gameplay, even if the crowd gets on his back because that chosen strategy is about as enjoyable as watching paint dry.

He is a boxing genius!

What I do give Connor credit for though, is that he made himself and his family an absolute fuckload of money, and he'll add even more to it. Stick to the cage though mate - you'll only be able to compete against MOR boxers in 'curiosity' bouts, and that's not the legacy you want to leave behind you.

King of Kings likes this.
  4. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

McGregor is the only one that comes out with any credit and the only one capable of coming out with any credit.

He can box but ultimately he isn't a boxer and let's be honest, if there wasn't 100 million available for half a fight, he wouldn't bother his * with the sport in the first place.

MMA is more mainstream, McGregor is an even bigger star, Mayweather can pay the taxman, the UFC skimmed off the top and everyone is happy. Other than the folk that weren't happy to begin with that no one really cares about.

5. ILoveTheCeltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    Canny see him wanting to box again anyway, theres nobody out there who would probably get him even close to 20% of the money of the Mayweather fight and I think he'd need atleast half the Mayweather money again to lose another boxing match and even then he'd probably only do it before retiring just to top up his money.

If anything he should now look to tempt a boxer over to MMA for a big money fight by becoming the Mayweather of MMA beat everybody become the biggest fighting star by a distance over the next 2/3 years. Then whoever goes on to clean up after Mayweather in boxing, possibly Canelo should be called out for an MMA fight.

It would probably be even bigger if he fought a boxer in MMA than if he went to boxing again as then the boxer would get credit and respect for going to MMA where it's much more difficult and he'd be fighting the big star in his own backyard.

6. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

No top boxer will ever step into an Octagon whilst there's still the same level of financial disparity in boxings favour.

The likes of Bellew calling out Bisping is laughable, but it's nice to see folk learning lessons in making money and creating buzz from McGregor.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2017
  7. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    I remember walking by Bisping down here by Pall Mall year's ago thinking what a beast that * is. Just the frame and walk as he wasn't much taller, if at all. Only knew him then from those prize fighter MMA thing's whatever they're called I used to watch..

I'd love to see Bellew in the Octagon with him. It'd be hilarious as Bellew is the most hitable fighter in boxing. Imagine him having to contend with spinning elbows, kicks and takedowns :56:

He'd be out first round..

8. MacEwan Himmy Butler Gold Member

I love how people say Mayweather let him have the success he had against him. To an extent it's right when it comes to McGregor setting the pace. But McGregor landing as many shots as he did and some landing pretty clean, that's all him and he deserves credit for that.

Gyp Rosetti likes this.
  9. King of Kings

Fav Celtic Player:
    boruc
    There's different levels to it, Mayweather didn't let McGregor perform well in the first 2/3 rounds as a kind of friendly gesture, but he absolutely did use those rounds to feel him out, measure his power and essentially 'learn on the job'. You actually here his going back to his corner and saying 'it's time' after the third round.

It goes without saying that McGregor needs to work on his endurance, but what always surprises me is how exhausted he looks when he's tiring. I mean, he wears it on his sleeve to the extent the guys in the nosebleed seats could see a tired man in the ring or cage. It's across his face and becomes part of his body language.

He'll go back to the UFC and we won't see him in the ring ever again. This was a kind of once in a lifetime thing against a fighter who was deemed relatively safe - old, small, lacking power - essentially see the final bell and you've won in most people's eyes. Stepping into the ring with someone his own size and closer to their prime would be madness, particularly when the money involved would be much smaller. Paulie is really the only viable option for a return to the ring but I just can't see it happening.

10. King of Kings

Fav Celtic Player:
    boruc
    Agree completely regarding legacy. Stick to what you know and build a lasting legacy in it, one that goes beyond 'well he made a * tonne of money'. There's a lot for him still to do in MMA.

It is funny how some have moved the goalposts so clearly after the fight. From 'Mayweather will never come forward' and 'how could Floyd possibly stop him, he never stops anyone, Conor is used to shinbone!' and 'he'll bounce his head off the canvas' to.....'ah he did well to last as long as he did' :giggle1:

Fair play to him though, if I had to pic a round before the fight I'd have said 8/9 so lasted slightly longer than I thought. I want to see him fight again in the UFC and Mayweather to stay retired, he said he hadn't sparred in the last month and he didn't look himself.

11. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    My brother's in Ibiza and who comes strolling through the pool party with his security and flip flops?

McGregor still looking a bit facially done but the guy loves it..

12. King of Kings

Fav Celtic Player:
    boruc
    He seems like the kinda guy who would be a great craic on a night out. I can't imagine he'll be too fussed at losing right about now.

I think he'll be back in the UFC soon against Diaz, most likely beat him and then face of against Khabib or Ferguson. It will be interesting to see if his boxing has improved and if his other skills have diminished. I know folk rate Diaz's boxing but I think McGregors is of a higher standard personally, I could definitely see him stopping Diaz at lightweight.

13. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Apparently they're fighting in the UFC next?

14. Raoul Duke

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Doubt it, it makes no sense from mayweathers point of view. Aye he'd make millions but he's already got enough and would get beaten far, far worse than mcgregor did.

15. MacEwan Himmy Butler Gold Member

No chance. He’d get destroyed, it would be embarrassing.

TESLA and PaulM1888 like this.
  16. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

James Toney v Randy Couture on YouTube or wherever to see what happens to world class boxers in an Octagon.

cas79 and MacEwan like this.
  17. King of Kings

Fav Celtic Player:
    boruc
    I’m not sure if you even believe this pish. 2010 James Toney was probably more than a decade removed from his prime :giggle1:

Even less valid than me saying, “Tim Sylvia vs Ray Mercer on YouTube or wherever to see what happens to world class MMA fighters when a near 50 year old boxer steps into the Octagon”.

Nasser likes this.
  18. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

And Couture?

Numb nuts.

19. King of Kings

Fav Celtic Player:
    boruc
    I’m not even sure you know what you’re trying to suggest here.

I’m terms of couture, Toney, Silvia and Mercer the 2 guys who are the furthest removed from their prime are Mercer and Toney by and absolute mile.

Couture was by far the least removed from his prime, having headlined a UFC card almost 6 months prior to his fight with Toney. You’re trying to compare him to Mercer, a guy who last held a world title in boxing almost 20 YEARS before stepping into the Ocatagon :56:

Nasser likes this.
  20. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

What age was Couture when he fought Toney you absolute donut?

If your line of enquiry here is that a world class boxer beats a world class mixed martial artist in an octagon then please delete your account.

You have an air of unjust arrogance discussing combat sport which has come from the fact you punched a guy once. Well done, go and tell your mammy she’d be more interested.