1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Stuart Armstrong

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by Xavier Woods, Feb 2, 2015.

Discuss Stuart Armstrong in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. The IRA

Fav Celtic Player:
    Vol. Ryan Chrisite
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Beautiful Sunday - the IRA version
    Very poor from Armstrong. As I said before, this whole saga has left a very bad impression of him, but now that it's been revealed that he's basically only signed on for an extra year, well that makes it even worse.

However, I disagree with these low figures being suggested. If an English club wants him then it's got to be 10m+. The money in England is obscene, so we should be ripping them off for every single one of our players.

2. Millerntor

I am saying that players will look at the positive impact others who have left us have made. I don't doubt this will be used as a selling point by us when trying to attract players to come to us. You are right, he has had an outstanding six months - hopefully he can pick that form back up again this season and we, and him, can benefit. We are where we are in terms of our place in European football, not much we can really do about that given where we play.

3. Paradise88

Why all the hate? We shouldn't care about the ins & outs of his new contract.

He puts the effort in, scores & creates goals and is one of our more important players! It amazes me how some people ignore his talents because of his negotiations with the club.

4. Sno'sLeftFoot

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    I'm pleased with this but its clear he has his own ideas of where he wants to be in the next couple if years which is fair enough. So hoping for another season like last and we should be pushing for at least 8 million for a CL experienced box to box midfielder when the time comes.

5. HailHoopy

Absolute arrogant deluded * of a man.

The sooner he's gone the better.

SeanBhoy7 likes this.
  6. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    I'm not understanding the animosity towards him either. Players will always look after their own interests first. They don't think like fans, even if they support the club they play for.

7. romeo9535

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson, Alan Thompson, John Hartson, Aiden McGeady
    Fav Celtic Song:
    4 Leaf Clover, Willy Malley
    It's only been 6 months of good form remember. Before that it was a year and a half of poor form with glimpses of his ability.

My view is that if a player doesn't see his long term future here then he should be sold. What is the point in wasting time on a player like that when you could give that place to another player who needs and wants more development?

8. Eazey

Disappointing but basically in same scenario as last year.
    Either he maintains his upward trajectory or he peters out, either way we get a good player for the year and cash next summer.
    Boy obviously realises than footballers have short careers and need to make the money whilst the can.

9. CodyBhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Rogic
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Ninetoes Finder
    Man City have just bid 20 million for Johnny Evans and people are saying we should accept £4m for Armstrong:43:

10. McGrory1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Callum McGregor
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    How exactly? He's committed to playing for us for at least another year, whilst also guaranteeing that the club will receive good money for him IF he does decide to go. The fact of the matter is that he could have run his contract down until next May/June and then have the ball completely in his court. We would still have been offering him a contract and if he went elsewhere we wouldn't be receiving a penny. Instead, he's made clear that this is where he wants to be (for now at least) and he believes it's the best place for him.

Dare I say it, if he wasn't Scottish we'd all be stating how great a gesture he's made rather than leaving for free. It has a lot of similarities to when Petrov left.

Personally, I'm delighted he's signed. Hugely important member of our squad. People forget just how big a role he played in our success last season. He was a huge instigator in our Scottish Cup final win.

JC Anton likes this.
  11. Jeannie960 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Daizen Maeda
    Actually it would benefit Celtic to show case him as the better he does the more money the club will get.

packybhoy and JC Anton like this.
  12. SeanBhoy7

Hes basically only staying here for the wage rise because he knows the club will punt him next season.
    He can * off.

13. Dylan1996 Gold Member Brigade Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Boruc
    Aye right.

Yer deluded if ye think everyone that comes here is a tim, the * done great in the time he's been here.

Embarrassing post

Callum McGregor and JC Anton like this.
  14. King of Kings

Fav Celtic Player:
    boruc
    No hate for him, I genuinely feel he's made a poor decision though. Look at it this way - he leaves now and he maximizes his own earning ability (clubs would pay us a reduced fee given that we would be under pressure to sell and that money would likely go towards increasing his wage), or he signs on until say 2020/2021 and continues to be a big part of our team, getting game time and scoring goals, keeping his name at the forefront or managers minds across the country. He keeps playing well and again he maximizes his own earning ability.

What he's gone and done is a bit if an in-between that kind of gets him the worst of both worlds. The fans see a lack of commitment, Rodgers has to ask himself why he should select him over guys who see their long term future here, and his own exposure is limited by the fact he'll probably see less game time than he did last season. It isn't the worst scenario for us by any means because it means that if we do go to sell in January for example we'll get more money, but it does feel a bit daft on his part.

He's had a lot of support on here with people saying the club should pay up etc, but it just looks like he doesn't see his future here.

LloydsGamble likes this.
  15. Mr Diggler

Looks like a compromise deal. I wouldn't be surprised if he is gone even by the end of the transfer window but more likely January. No way he is being kept as he has no long term ambition to be here. This is to maximize our value for him whilst probably giving a gentlemans agreement on any bids in the next few windows.

16. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

Like everyone would have liked a longer deal but I'm glad it's done now..

Maybe the deal has allowed us to insert a minimum buy out clause or a sell on fee.

Look Armstrong is a smart guy he will have a solid rationale around his own future, this deal secures him for another season at least and if he develops even further he can get a better deal with us or we can cash in and punt him.

He's an asset who's stock is only going to rise, no issues.

Jeannie960 likes this.
  17. saltire78

If he'd signed a 4 year type contract I think the club would've been considering him and Ntcham as the long term DM pairing, since Broonie won't last forever. But ultimately, * him, we've seen better come and go, and we always move on.
    Besides, we now have a settled/happy dressing room for the CL and it's in HIS best interests to light it up this year if he genuinely wants a move in the next 2 windows

Jeannie960 likes this.
  18. The Prof Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky
    No drama. :brendy:

19. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

My initial reaction without a seconds thought was 'cheeky *'.

After thinking about my thoughts are 'cheeky *'.

Blochairnbhoy likes this.
  20. lionhead199

Fav Celtic Player:
    brown,boruc
    I will no longer admire this * hair.
    SEE YI:bye1: