1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

McGregor v Mayweather - 26th Aug 2017

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Callum McGregor, Jul 12, 2017.

Discuss McGregor v Mayweather - 26th Aug 2017 in the Other Sports area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. King of Kings

Fav Celtic Player:
    boruc
    He doesn't have a 'fighters core' apparently, basically has a slim waist. When I first heard it I basically discounted it but maybe he does have a bit of a vulnerability there. Certainly, of what Malignaggi says is true, it's not a great sign because he's not a body puncher.

I have a lot of faith in Hunter so I guess we'll see on the 26th. Floyd will definitely attack the body imo.

2. tino2u

3mins in looks like he handles body shots not too bad.

3. ynwa1987

Makes sense as those body shots hit and he struggles to land on Floyd hes going to get tired quick and will probably get an adrenaline dump. Hes in over his head and has deluded himself into thinking he will KO floyd.

I dont mean that as an insult either, his insane self belief and his boundaries for what he thinks it possible is the only hes gone from being on the dole to fighting maybe the biggest fight in combat history. Hes in over his head but hats off to him. Hope he proves me wrong I really do.

Posting pictures of the knockdown/ pushdown was out of order imo. Seen that Paulie was saying he wasnt paid to spar with Mcgregor. Does he mean he hasnt been paid yet or that hes not getting paid at all? Surely hes not doing that for free.

4. King of Kings

Fav Celtic Player:
    boruc
    Lying there with a braced stomach taking shots from your coach isn't the same as taking shots in a fight.

I've seen Muay Thai guys lay into each other to the body in ways that must honestly cause some sort of damage to their organs. Seen the same guy go down from a single liver shot he wasn't prepared for.

TIM O'Brien likes this.
  5. lockerbie-bhoy

anyone know what time the fight will be on?

6. King of Kings

Fav Celtic Player:
    boruc
    Not really sure mate, I would guess he was going to be paid but won't be anymore. Really no idea though.

I think Conor is inspirational in a lot of ways to people chasing goals. His rise has been meteoric. He can be a bit of a * at times though.

In this case he's a bit like a dog chasing a car, I think he'll realise within the first round that now that he's caught it he has absolutely no idea what to do.

7. ynwa1987

I get hes not everyones cup of tea but seen lots of evidence that hes actually a pretty good guy. For me * talking about guys in your division or guys you might fight down the line is fair game. Flaunting your wealth in the way he does it is a bit weird but he seems to treat people very well in general and is always respectful after the fight.

8. King of Kings

Fav Celtic Player:
    boruc
    Yeh I think that's fair.

I've basically grown to dislike the guy since the build up to this fight. His comments about boxing were * and he comes across as pretty insecure to me. Weirdly, I used to like the guy a lot (and still respect him as a fighter) but always felt his entire persona was very forced. He plays up to every Irish stereotype imaginable and is clearly aiming to take Mayweather 'Money' angle since he's retired.

I don't actually like Floyd for much of the same reasons btw, but I kind of respect the fact that he doesn't care that nobody likes him. I also have nothing but respect for his ability as a fighter/athlete. He's probably the most dominant athlete in any combat sport over the past decade.

9. King of Kings

Fav Celtic Player:
    boruc
    On the same note, having a forced persona would suggest it's a fair assumption that he's a completely different (and altogether more likeable person) in real life.

10. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Pretty clear to everyone where this is going now. A setup for a future boxing fight between the 2. And they are both involved in it.

Mayweather beats Conor on points, Conor fights in the UFC in December then goes back to boxing to fight Paulie next year.

Heard it here first.

Barry Robson and Liam Scales like this.
  11. ynwa1987

I hope thats not the case and im also dubious. Conor will only fight for big bucks now cant see a Paulie fight capturing the publics interests tbh.

I find it more likely hes created this drama to hype up this up coming fight than to create drama to set up a paulie malignaggi fight a couple of years down the line.

12. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Public are all over it already, they've created a beef.

Paulie made it public he wanted the fight months ago.

13. King of Kings

Fav Celtic Player:
    boruc
    No Paulie fight on the horizon imo.

This is about Conor going in against the best boxer of the generation and perceived p4p number 1.

Fighting Paulie simply wouldn't attract a large enough audience. If he wins this fight he makes history, if he beats Paulie, who the * cares?

14. scootz

"... heard it here first... "

:56:

Last edited: Aug 6, 2017
  15. Dianbobo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Bobo Balde
    Dave Fogarty and Paulie on the MMA hour later :57:

16. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Who's Dave Fogarty?

Alright scootz, ya auld *, what are you getting at?

17. Dianbobo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Bobo Balde
  18. Nasser

The Paulie vs Conor fight would be good business for both of them.

19. ynwa1987

I dunno bout that man. THink Paulie would benifit alot more than Conor. Paulie isnt a well renouned house hold name or one that the MMA fans or even casual MMA fans would care about. IMO Khabib or Ferguson is a bigger fight.

Its a fight I cant seem many casuals or even fans caring about.

Keano88 likes this.
  20. ynwa1987

Did anyone see Paulie on the MMA hour btw? Very telling interview where he basically admits to losing the first sparring match in which by his own admission they were trying to take each others heads off. He says he won the second but gassed and Conor won the last two rounds.

Even though Paulie is retired to me that very impressive to hop over to boxing and have a competitive sparring session with a boxer of that caliber even if it is only sparring. And you have to take into account that he is probably being a little biased towards himself.

Of course I still think it will be meaningless when he hops into the ring against Mayweather but it shows you how good Mcgregors boxing for MMA.