1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

McGregor v Mayweather - 26th Aug 2017

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Callum McGregor, Jul 12, 2017.

Discuss McGregor v Mayweather - 26th Aug 2017 in the Other Sports area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. cambridgebhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Chris Sutton
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    No, I found it crass and tasteless, that is why I brought it up. Deeming something to be unacceptable does not mean that offence was caused.

2. MacEwan Himmy Butler Gold Member

Do you think Mayweather is homophobic because he called McGregor a *?

And what are you considering to be racist from McGregor?

3. cambridgebhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Chris Sutton
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Obviously I didn't watch the circus itself, but the language used by both, as has been widely reported, is completely unacceptable.
    Do you think calling someone a '*' is acceptable? He used homophobic language, presumably through ignorance. Ignorance is not an acceptable defence.

Surely it is blatantly obvious what is wrong with a white man telling a black man to 'dance for me, boy' ?

clonbhoy likes this.
  4. Mr. Slippyfist

Meh, it's all about context.

And since we all know this is a bit of a sham, it's no more offensive than hearing those type of comments in a movie.

5. cambridgebhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Chris Sutton
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    I agree, it isn't offensive, given the farcical nature of the whole thing, the problem here is the number of people coming out to defend the language of their clown of choice, meaning that they find the language acceptable.

6. MacEwan Himmy Butler Gold Member

Listen to comedian Bill Burr on his use of the word * and you'll realise that Mayweather isn't being homophobic. It's not a word that should be used in certain situations but it's also not a big deal when it's used in others. Yes it's a comedy view point and it's to be taken with a pinch of salt but it really makes a great point. And Louis CK actually.

"Dance for me, boy"? How is that racist? Mayweather Sr said himself he doesn't know what that has to do with racism. He told Nate Diaz to dance for him too, Nate isn't black? Just because a white man told a black man to do something it's racist? He was also gesturing trowing money at him while he did it.

7. cambridgebhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Chris Sutton
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Right, I just googled the part of his act you are referring to and, despite not finding him funny, watched it. I fail to see how the correlation. He tells a humorous story about how a lot of male working-class Americans ignorantly use the same word Mayweather used, it is mildly amusing by his standards but does absolutely nothing to excuse Mayweather's use of it.

I assume you are being deliberately obtuse here. The word 'boy' has been used to belittle African-Americans for centuries, using at the end of an order will clearly bring up racist connotations. Telling a black man to do something isn't racist, telling him to do it and calling him 'boy' is. I don't believe he called Diaz 'boy' when ordering him to dance, did he? The throwing of money doesn't exactly help his case either!
    Of course Mayweather Sr. is going to stick up from, they are all on the same side here!

clonbhoy and StPauli1916 like this.
  8. MacEwan Himmy Butler Gold Member

Shock you wouldn't find two of the top comedians in the world funny :giggle1: too offensive, crass and tasteless for you. You stick to Michael McIntyre.

You're really boring me and I'm not going to convince you. You're too small minded and politically correct to have a decent discussion with.

Calling a black man boy isn't racist ffs. It's demeaning, but that doesn't make it racist. I hate it when something offensive said to a black person suddenly becomes racist.

9. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

A one off boxing fight versus a one off MMA fight, it's not even up for debate. MMA is more dangerous; choked unconscious, arm snapped, leg snapped (attacking or defending), lighter gloves, eye pokes, baws booted, I could go on forever...

10. cambridgebhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Chris Sutton
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Isn't that subjective? I don't find him crass or offensive either, just neither funny or intelligent. I personally can't stand Michael McIntyre, he is boring and bland. Personally, I prefer Stewart Lee, Jim Jeffries or Doug Stanhope, depending on my mood. I would still consider Frankie Boyle to be my favourite.

I am boring you because you are incapable of defending the indefensible, so you are giving up. Anybody who uses the term 'politically correct' has immediately lost any argument anyway. As is often the case, the people who complain most about 'political correctness' are the ones who least understand its meaning.

Calling a man 'boy' is demeaning, calling a black man 'boy' is racist. Why didn't he call Diaz 'boy'? You and I both know the answer, but it is easier to deflect and desist than admit that one of these two overpaid, egomaniacal circus clowns and media whores could be racist or homophobic, even when the evidence is overwhelming.

clonbhoy and StPauli1916 like this.
  11. King of Kings

Fav Celtic Player:
    boruc
    You're right. It is considerably more dangerous. He'll take more shots to his head that he will have done in any other fight he's been in probably a few times over. Do his corner save him? I'm not sure, despite tapping out he's a proud guy and I think he'll go out on his shield.

Either way though, getting repeatedly hit with a blunt object over the head until you literally can't stand up is much worse than getting choked out arm barred to the point of submission.

12. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

:56:

Tell us more about how your experience as a boxer means your comments hold more weight, Mike Tyson.

13. MacEwan Himmy Butler Gold Member

I rest my case, that you don't know what you're talking about.

14. cambridgebhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Chris Sutton
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Another excellent point that shows you know well what was meant but are incapable of defending it. It really is no surprise that you have an interest in this 'fight'!

15. MacEwan Himmy Butler Gold Member

You've just said calling a black man "boy" is racist. Take a day off ffs.

16. King of Kings

Fav Celtic Player:
    boruc
    I never said my experience as a boxer makes my opinion hold more weight. Having a fact based, logical argument makes my opinion have more weight, than yours anyway :52::giggle1:

You're now on the verge of throwing a another hissy fit for someone saying boxing is actually more dangerous than MMA (which is widely accepted and follows a logical basis, unless of course you find the prospect of getting choked unconscious or breaking your arm more worrying than brain damage :rofl:). Given the skill/ability and experience gap this represents a real risk to McGregor.

17. cambridgebhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Chris Sutton
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    So you think what McGrgor said isn't racist? If you can't see what is wrong with what he said then you need help. Actual help. He knew what he was saying, as did Mayweather. As this whole charade is scripted, it wouldn't surprise me if they had deliberately used such language to garner even more publicity.
    It isn't the first time McGregor has used racial epithets either, which sums him up. He is clearly a talented fella who has done well in his sport, but him and his supporters are everything that is wrong with modern Ireland. There isn't a brain cell between the lot of them.

18. MacEwan Himmy Butler Gold Member

Jesus :rofl:

cambridgebhoy likes this.
  19. cambridgebhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Chris Sutton
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Yeah, that's your level. Good luck, have a crayon for me.

StPauli1916 likes this.
  20. MacEwan Himmy Butler Gold Member

I've got better things to do on my Saturday night than argue with an easily offended person who hates McGregor and blames him and his supporters for everything that's wrong with modern Ireland.

So sit down, shut up... or dance for me boy.