1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Is bottled water a con?

Discussion in 'TalkCeltic Pub' started by Grimm, Apr 13, 2017.

Discuss Is bottled water a con? in the TalkCeltic Pub area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Sween

I avoid it because it is absolutely is a rip off, especially in Scotland where we have a very good supply straight out the tap. That said, if I lived in London i would drink more of it as tap water there is pretty bad.

Artorias likes this.
  2. Shamrock.

Fav Celtic Song:
    Hail Hail
    The seas are choking with plastic the last thing any Scot should do is waste money on bottled water. Our tap water is fine.

TheHappyLoss likes this.
  3. evilbunny1991

Fav Celtic Player:
    KI
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the People Sing
    It's fine if you managed to expense it!

4. KRS-1888 Scott La Rock

It's not - if you live or work somewhere where the water is all peaty and brown.

5. Markybhoy

Ultimately it IS a con because we should all have water coming out our tap that is good enough to drink. I wouldn't even think of drinking the water that comes out of our taps though, it's bogging. So bottled water is a must for me. Evian is my water of choice.

6. Harry Caray

Tap water is * honkin, can taste the difference from bottled water.

7. King of Kings

Fav Celtic Player:
    boruc
    Not a con, but very much unnecessary if you live in Scotland.

More expensive than petrol and harmful to the environment too.

Artorias likes this.
  8. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

I don't really have to make the choice because I go through 2 x 1 litre bottles of spring water from the cooler in work every day. Don't drink much at night because of that.

Have no issue with tap water though.

9. King of Kings

Fav Celtic Player:
    boruc
    On the subject of bottled water, saw a the programme a while ago where they bring in a couple of guys to basically save you money on your weekly shop. The woman was spending a fortune each year buying some fancy bottled water because apparently the basic tap stuff tasted disgusting. So they change all of her weekly shopping with cheaper alternatives, saving her a bit of cash each week, she gets to the water and sips a bit, and unsurprisingly finds it revolting - seeing as it's that nasty * that comes out taps and all. Turns out they didn't even change the water, but just let her think they did, she was drinking the same stuff she had been spunking her money away on for years. Marketing power and stupidity are a dangerous combination.

Callum McGregor and Artorias like this.
  10. Gundog Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    I do this on most mountains, take my 3L bladder pack of tap water and some empty bottles to stock up on the go. Most of it is good. Think the one bad time was in a glen amongst the Fannichs last October. Could taste the deer * but I was drinking through a sawyer mini purification straw so not worried about worms or such :42:. But higher up is normally fine and I dont bother with the straw.

Artorias and cidermaster like this.
  11. Artorias

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Agree with this. The tap water in Scotland is excellent.

Miles Platting and Minty1888 like this.
  12. Lennon2011

I usually have about 5 bottles of the normal Celtic water in the house. 19p for 2 litres is a bargain considering the tap water here is rotten.

13. liammcdowell

Where the climate is raw and the gun makes the law
    Fav Celtic Player:
    KT63
    I think the main reason people think bottled is better is they drink it colder. Tap water in a bottle and the put the fridge tastes exactly the same as bottled.

Grimm likes this.
  14. Account Deactivated Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    I have a water filterer because it tastes like * * in the south of England

15. Onefootwonder

There was a tv programme on just a few weeks back where they went further to catch out restaurants and pubs.

They simply bottled local tap water and went around trying to sell it after tasting sessions. Every single place thought the water was amazing and worth the high price tag suggested.

They all looked foolish as they were supposedly more knowledgeable on the subject of quality and taste.

Grimm likes this.
  16. Marty McFly Whoa, this is heavy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
  17. Tim-Time 1888 Always look on the bright side of Life Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Enrico Annoni
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Hail Hail
    As said, if you are living in Scotland there really isn't much point in buying bottled water to drink (unless its flavoured) as our tap water is good.
    I work with a lad who insists that bottled water is supplied at meetings I have him at (yep he is a pretentious *, am sure we all now the kind - usually found wandering about with a bottle of water funnily enough :97:). Anyway last meeting he was at, when he went out, I emptied his bottle and filled it up from one of the jugs with tap water and he never noticed the difference. So at the end of the meeting he was told and he said - "I thought there was something wrong with the water, that it was maybe past/close to its use by date but I didn't want to look ungrateful" - * wee * :56:

18. Fiferbhoy1991

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    If I lived in London, theres not a chance I'd drink that manky water that comes out the taps, all limescale and * in it. Tap water up here though is no different to any bottle of water you could buy

19. stew37

Depends where you are. My water out the tap is alright, i usually fill up a bottle and leave it in the fridge overnight and it's fine for the next day, and I wouldn't notice a difference between that or any bottled water I've bought.

I mind ages ago there was a bottled water Coke released called Dansai that got found out for being tap water, not sure if it's still about.

20. trip2themoon Concomitant Allez-Vous?

Fav Celtic Player:
    Peter Grant
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Boys of the Old Brigade
    The soft waters of Scotland are some of the best drinking waters in the world. It totally baffles me how anyone in this part of the world is happy to part with cash to pay for what we get for free. And then those buying what they get for free in single use packaging are adding to the pollution of our planet.