1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

MMA Thread

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by HectorTheTaxman, Aug 23, 2012.

Discuss MMA Thread in the Other Sports area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Lennon2011

Fight pass is free this weekend if anyone's still no got it

2. ILoveTheCeltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    I want to see it happening but doubt it ever will.

3. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

4. Henry Clarkson

Fav Celtic Player:
    The King of Kings
    Same, i believe Mcgregor when he says he would fight in the ring or octagon but Floyd really is the key to this fight happening and hes talked alot of *, making himself look a bit foolish. Money man probably thinks the more he can talk up a fight thats never gunna happen, the less money Mcgregor makes on promoting the real fights. Either way its the fans who want to see the fight and are getting * around.

5. MacEwan Himmy Butler Gold Member

Never realised the fights were tomorrow night/Monday morning. * that.

6. MacEwan Himmy Butler Gold Member

I wouldn't pay for a Mayweather fight. I'd pay for a McGregor fight though.

7. mygirlmaria

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kenny Dalglish
    Fav Celtic Song:
    you'll never walk alone
    I personally only want to see it as a curiosity, but nothing more, as i cannot conceive of how they would make it a balanced event where either man had a fair chance of winning.

Maybe boxing only, but MMA gloves!!!

8. mygirlmaria

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kenny Dalglish
    Fav Celtic Song:
    you'll never walk alone
    Whit????!!!! *, i was looking forward to them tonight too!

MacEwan likes this.
  9. Henry Clarkson

Fav Celtic Player:
    The King of Kings
    Agreed, both would have a hugely unfair advantage in thier field. More reason for me to try forget this one unfortunately. Ideally though as you say, out of curiousity i would love to see them go three rounds stand up, fists only with mma gloves, i think that would be a fair fight.

mygirlmaria likes this.
  10. mygirlmaria

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kenny Dalglish
    Fav Celtic Song:
    you'll never walk alone
    Just found out its Martin Luther King day on Monday ffs. Who the * was he? :fear:

MacEwan likes this.
  11. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

You're in the majority.

McGregor sells far more fights than Mayweather does. Which considering one is a 49-0 supposed king of a far more evolved sport is fairly astonishing.

The fact there's a female UFC fighter that had her teeth knocked down her throat that can do the same even more so.

MacEwan likes this.
  12. MacEwan Himmy Butler Gold Member

He's just boring to watch. You know what you're getting.

McGregor and the possibility of him knocking out Mayweather is selling that fight if it happens.

13. Nasser

Mayweather style of boxing is not liked even though it's effective and he as a person is not liked by most people in Boxing or sport. Conor all though not totally original in how he acts he has that charisma and is mischievous in a cheeky way also he's also very quick witted and his fighting style is exciting. They won't fight anytime soon if ever.

14. Valhalla Thus spoke Batistuta.

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Had a sleep earlier so I could stay up for the fights...

Wrong day :rofl:

Nasser and Swervedancer like this.
  15. Swervedancer Guest

This is what confuses me over this hype, they are two totally different sports, would be like asking a rugby team to play a football team.

I'm no expert but there is no way I can see either fighter having a chance in the other's domain. Mayweather is a fantastic boxer whether you like his non combative approach or not and McGregor has too many techniques in UFC that he would win that in a round. I don't know how to make it even, maybe as you say using MMA gloves because then McGregor might get a lucky punch in but Mayweather's punch is like a cobra the way it springs out, I think he would still win that.

Unless they made it two events, one in the ring and one in the octagon. But I bet the bookies would not be taking many bets on that. There is no way Mayweather would enter the octagon with even an average UFC fighter.

When is the next big UFC or boxing event?

16. mygirlmaria

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kenny Dalglish
    Fav Celtic Song:
    you'll never walk alone
    Decent UFC tomorrow night. Not a classic on paper, but these 'non events' are sometimes good to pick up on an up and comer and throw up unexpected good match ups usually.

17. Swervedancer Guest

Cheers. Aye the best UFC fight I've seen was recently but for the life of me I can't remember their names. But they were slugging it out like streetfighters and neither of them would go down. I remember one guy did a move someone called the Wisconsin Windmill? The guy that lost had a steel chin, never seen anything like it and the other guy took a good few hard knocks too.

And that wasn't a fight that was top of the bill. I'm sure the headline was Holloway vs Pettis.

mygirlmaria likes this.
  18. mygirlmaria

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kenny Dalglish
    Fav Celtic Song:
    you'll never walk alone
    I think that was Swanson V Doo Ho Choi. I had to look up the card, but as soon as i seen it, i recalled that fight.

I keep an eye on it with this page.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_UFC_events

19. Swervedancer Guest

That's the fight thanks, was much more entertaining that anyone was expecting I'm sure. Cheers for the link too :50:

Jeez oh I see the big Rousey comeback lasted 48 seconds :88: That must've been disappointing for the folk looking forward to that. I take it Nunes is one to watch in the female fights then. Or is it a case of she's just too good and no one would give her a decent fight?

20. mygirlmaria

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kenny Dalglish
    Fav Celtic Song:
    you'll never walk alone
    Yes it was a bit of an anti climax, but i dont necessarily think Nunes is too good, i think she is just the present incumbent! A bit of pass the parcel going on there just now as that is the first successful defence of the womens since Ronda herself retained it about 4 or 5 fights back. That said, Ronda may well have been damaged goods and not at her best.