1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Stuart Armstrong

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by Xavier Woods, Feb 2, 2015.

Discuss Stuart Armstrong in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Swervedancer Guest

To be fair Toure was immense before those mistakes. He probably was more influential in our successes than our failures. Was probably McGregor that cost us but it would be harsh to blame him for that one mistake. We just weren't good enough overall this season and it wasn't to be expected either. We got close though and if Callum had put that away it could have been some achievement. Don't think I could blame Bitton either. Armstrong's definitely a better player than Nir this season though.

2. Swervedancer Guest

Well this was one of Ronny's mysteries. He bought him but he didn't play him in his natural position. Do you think it was because Bitton was playing so well? Probably 90% of fans on here said Armstrong was out of position and yet he kept getting played out wide even when he was dreadful and looking out of form.

3. doctor venglos

So it was Toure, Biton and McGregor ? Who was it ?
    I agree Toure was instrumental in our earlier success, but so was O'Connell and where is he now ?
    On the balance of probabilities I think it was problematic in signing a player as old as Toure, ditto for De Vries, and considering lost additional Europa revenue and gate receipts and also the fact that I doubt very much if Toure will feature much the remainder of this season, I don't think it has been a good experiment.

Swervedancer likes this.
  4. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    Doc, see you..... Shut it mate..

Liam Scales and Gyp Rosetti like this.
  5. GavCFC1

Not seen a player improve in form as quickly as him since James Forrest...

6. Zander Gold Member Gold Member

Jeezo that's a long time...

7. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

We reached the Champions League because of Kolo Toure. If that doesn't fit with whatever agenda you have that is unfortunate but that's the reality.

Liam Scales likes this.
  8. Gyp Rosetti Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Rogic
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic symphony
    Yes I think Ronny was trying to fit what he thought was his best players into the team, when he should have been focussing more on the best players to suit the formation he was so rigid in playing, in the end it dragged everyone down and started to show badly in his last 6 months.

Swervedancer likes this.
  9. Gyp Rosetti Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Rogic
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic symphony
    Sheer poetry. :84:

10. Saul Goodman Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Some turnaround in him, I had almost completely given up on him.

He's really stepped it up when we badly needed him to. Bitton is a long way away from getting near the team again.

ChrisMoh likes this.
  11. doctor venglos

McGuire.
    You know something ?
    Shut your pie hole.....

12. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    Aye Joe.....

Your talking pish..

13. Zander Gold Member Gold Member

He's behind McGregor as well

14. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

I think Bitton is on his way out of the club. He doesn't have the energy and speed required. He's brought on now to kill games and slow the tempo.

If we sign a defensive midfielder in January, his days are numbered.

ChrisMoh and Swervedancer like this.
  15. James Gold Member Gold Member

Best player in the team just now.

16. HoopswithPride

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul "The Maestro" McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Hail, Hail
    How many goals does he have now??? Cannae be far off double figures??

17. Swervedancer Guest

Don't mean to be hard on Ronny cause I did like the guy but it shows you how dangerous an inexperienced manager can be for a player and therefore the team. I mean it could do a player's confidence a lot of damage. To think that he was so rigid compared to Brendan who changed the formation against Motherwell after 30 minutes.

Mind you, to be fair to Armstrong he remained surprisingly calm and confident all the time under Ronny.

I do think though that once Deila learns that lesson he will be a very good manager. Some of the games we played under him were amazing. But they were far too few. It's kind of funny looking back, how motivational he could be some games, I mean reaching the last 32 and nearly beating Inter if it wasn't for Gordon, then his very last game we won 7 0 and he introduced Celtic's youngest ever player who scored on his debut :giggle1: That was how good he could be. But our ability to go from inspired to uninspired was incredible. I guess it makes sense when he admits now he felt so much stress and pressure during his time here. That would explain the extreme ups and downs.

Wasn't that one of Armstrong's best games for us, the Inter 3 3? Anyway, I really hope Ronny does well, he can produce entertaining football when he's in the mood. We are still playing with his team basically.

18. Swervedancer Guest

I'm not sure but accoridng to 'whoscored.com' he's scored 5 in the last 10 games. That's pretty impressive considering that includes the 3 European games. Important ones too, the winner against Kilmarnock and one in the 4 3 against Motherwell.

I think it's a bit unfair saying we lost Europa revenue. I thought it was some achievement by Brendan getting us into the CL so quickly after the last two seasons. To get the draw we did was really bad luck. I prefer to think of the money Brendan has earned for us through the CL rather than the Europa revenue lost.

I have to agree with you it looks like he might have lost faith in Kolo which is a huge shame considering how well he started for us. Brendan appears to be quite ruthless with players who appear to have lost form.

This Gamboa experiment is going to be interesting, he hasn't impressed me either way so far although there have been moments his speed has looked very promising. Not sure about him defensively. Would it be fair to blame him for the Thistle goal? He doesn't seem tall enough to be marking that player though.

O'Connell is still there, he's just not getting a game because of Erik and Simunovic I think. I don't know why Lustig was picked against Thistle along with Gamboa. I thought maybe Brendan was making sure that side of the park had a safety net for Gamboa as he's still new to the team and trying to regain form. Otherwise I would have thought O'Connell would play alongside Erik. Unfortunately their goal came from that side of the pitch.

Actually our defence looked a bit shaky a couple of times against Thistle, not sure why but considering we've kept so many clean sheets this season it's not normal. Seems to be more solid with Simunovic. The high ball over the top looks like it needs addressing.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 10, 2016
  19. dmac

Turning out to be a good season for Armstrong full of energy

DembelesDa likes this.
  20. Shaun

YEAH!!! Admit it...
    Trust me, life gets better...
    :shamrock: