1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Celtic confirm Nakamura signing

Discussion in 'TalkCeltic News' started by Celtic Mad, Jul 25, 2005.

By Celtic Mad on Jul 25, 2005 at 6:05 PM
  1. Celtic Mad Administrator Administrator

Celtic have confirmed the signing of Japanese midfielder Shunsuke Nakamura, subject to the player passing a medical and securing a work permit.
    Celtic will pay in the region of £2m for the 27-year-old, who is expected to arrive in Glasgow later this week and joins on a three-year deal.

Nakamura said: "Celtic are obviously an enormous club with an extremely passionate support.

"This was one of the reasons I signed and I can't wait to get started."

He added that he was confident of a successful season in Glasgow "both in the league and in Europe".

Manager Gordon Strachan described his latest signing as a "special talent".

"Once he's out on the pitch I'm sure our fans will realise very quickly why we were so keen to secure his signature," he added.

"He's a player who can bring an extra dimension to any team, and having done our homework on him and asked many people about his background and temperament, we are delighted the deal has been done.

"I've no doubt it's going to prove a great bit of business for Celtic, and I'm looking forward to him pulling on the hoops and showing our fans why we have worked so hard to bring him here."

Celtic chief executive Peter Lawwell concluded negotiations with Nakamura's representatives and thanked the board for providing the funds to add to the squad.

He added: "The opportunities he will bring in terms of commercial spin-offs, especially in Japan and the Far East, are of great interest.

"One of the most complicated aspects of the negotiations was the player's image rights, which Celtic have secured.

"This could lead to an increase in merchandising sales in the Far East, as well as a significant boost for our other services and products."

A statement on Reggina's website thanked Nakamura for "his human quality and for his great professional approach in the past three years".

"We would also like to thank the Japanese media, the Japanese Football Association and fans who have followed him and our team with great passion," it added.

Celtic defender Adam Virgo says there is a sense of anticipation around the club regarding Nakamura's arrival.

"There is definitely a buzz about the place with this new signing," said Virgo.

"It will be a great signing for the club and give us great competition for places.

"He is a high-profile player, a Japanese international and has played in Serie A so he'll bring top quality to the team.

"The gaffer has been looking to sign him for some time so everybody here is looking forward to his arrival."

-----------------------

From BBC Sport