1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

[Official TC Thread] Monchengladbach v. Celtic, Tue 1 Nov, 19:45, BT Sport ESPN / BT Sport Showcase

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Marty McFly, Oct 28, 2016.

Discuss Monchengladbach v. Celtic, Tue 1 Nov, 19:45, BT Sport ESPN / BT Sport Showcase in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. kevskiuk1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    paul mcstay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    anything by the wolftones
    Still buzzing big kolo 2 get winning goal against man city nd griff wit a double against barca mon the hoops. Up the ra

2. Ciaran_67

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jan Venegoor of Hessilink
    Hopefully the Jozo/Erik partnership thwarts Suarez, Neymar, Messi. We are still missing a CDM though.

Can we really go with Dembele, Rogic, Sinclair, Roberts and Armstrong? Albeit Armstrong gives us more grit than Bitton.

3. Markybhoy

Honestly can't see any way Neymar, Suarez and Messi get past Jozo and Erik. It's in the bag.

4. Sean Daleer Free Palestine Gold Member

I'm getting more annoyed as the night goes on. We should have won that and it also shows how bad we were in the corresponding home fixture.

We've not done ourselves justice over the two games.

That is progress though.

Artorias likes this.
  5. Saul Goodman Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Its frustrating but you're right, we have clearly made progress.

Would anyone really write us off winning one of our last two games? I wouldn't, and that would probably be enough to get us into Europe beyond Christmas. Who knows what can happen from there?

Sean Daleer likes this.
  6. Gyp Rosetti Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Rogic
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic symphony
    I need that number.

Marty McFly likes this.
  7. Big Boss Gold Member Gold Member

Considering the circumstances in our defence, being forced to play our 2nd choice LB and having to play a natural full-back in CB, only conceding the 1 goal away from home is pretty good going. You can't really not be happy with a point. Sure, they were a man light toward the end, but you take a point in this fixture all day long.

Dr. Frasier Crane likes this.
  8. trip2themoon Concomitant Allez-Vous?

Fav Celtic Player:
    Peter Grant
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Boys of the Old Brigade
    When this group was announced I was * it that we might not score any points (bet the Huns thought we wouldn't). The Huns last crack at CL group stage was one of the easiest groups I've ever seen and would be a dream group for any Scottish team but they lost all three home games. Are they the only team to lose all 3 home games? We would have romped that group. I'd be quite happy to see us finish on four points. Considering the spending power we are up against in this group winning any points is fantastic.

Big Moussa seems quite comfortable with the penalties. If that had been Henrik taking that penalty I would have been * myself. Would love to see a win at the Emptyhad, gutted that City beat Barcelona tonight.

Swervedancer likes this.
  9. Minimalist

Thought we could have got more out of the game.

Our ball retention was horrendous which was far too slow.

Gladbach wasn't as efficient and effective with their possession compared to the performance at Celtic Park.

Sinclair was the only stand out for us I believe. Dembele never got the support when needed - but apart from that I am glad he changed his shutter penalty. Armstrong was well out his depth which proceeded him losing possession far too much. Gamboa literally looks one dimensional, he can only run things down and take a shot from 35 yards out which goes away high up into the stands. Izaguirre got caught up far too much for my liking and with his experience that shouldn't be happening.

I am sick of watching us away from home in the Champions League losing possession far too cheaply, the situation is completely unacceptable.

Callum McGregor is not good enough for this squad which was highlighted with his opportunity when he was 1 on 1 and blew it to win us the game. He also hit the bar against Sevco in the Scottish Cup semi final. He is mentally weak and I would like to think we shouldn't be carrying players like him in the squad.

With Gladbach taking 4 points of us I can't see us progressing in Europe at all. We are out of Europe as far as I am concerned. I'm not confident we can take points off Barcelona at Home and do anything away in the Etihad.

10. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

11. Sean Daleer Free Palestine Gold Member

Seriously?

For an away tie against a Bundesliga side I thought our ball retention was excellent.

pete0301 likes this.
  12. Samurai Bhoy

We had 54% of the possession playing away against a top German side in a vital CL game. Our ball retention was not horrendous. Yes, we gave it away too easily a few times but to say it was horrendous is a bit much.

Anyway, I said we'd get a draw out of this game and I was right (for once). Slightly disappointed as I think we could have taken the 3 points in the end but, looking back at the game, I think a draw was a fair result.

I can't see us picking up any more points in the campaign tbh, Barca will come here needing a win and it's a big ask getting something from the Etihad. But, you'd never know with this team, there seems to be something special brewing among the squad and there may be another surprise left in them yet.

Even if we do end up with only 2 points, I'll still be happy overall.
    We are in bonus territory just being in the CL this year and, having had such a tough group, it will be a huge learning curve for the players.

Sean Daleer likes this.
  13. bkk bhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Hard to choose ... different players for different era's
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    my first thoughts were our passing was terrible.. and for professional players not to be able to pass a football that is
    very surprising. People saying we don't have the technical ability -- passing to a team mate is the basic level.

Having had time to reflect on the game i still believe it was our passing that let us down, However, it is down to certain
    players rather than everyone in the team. Armstrong needs to sharpen up and Gamboa was gash.. don't want to hear
    about lack of game time.. a player should not forget how to pass if he is not getting regular game time.

The last 10 mins were disappointing.. for 80 mins we could not retain possession and then when we needed to be throwing
    everything into their box our team decide to start playing the passing game.

Big opportunity missed at the end but if we can learn to pass a bit better and quicker then we can be a good team at this level.

Fans were superb as always.

14. ApartPidgeon

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    we keep improving

Artorias likes this.
  15. Sydneysider

:50::50::50:They were very sharp and disciplined. Their midfield read our game well and intercepted well, breaking up moves.

I thought we matched them.

Officials were very good apart from blowing for half time after 44 mins just as we were about to break upfield, and letting Strindl kick the ball into their end after the goal, should have been a Yellow .

16. Jayhawk

For a team with a inferiority complex in the CL it was pretty good. I think you could see a lack of believe in the team killing off MGB fully and taking home the points. I think it will give them a good shot in the CL arm to have come off the park knowing Celtic were every bit as good as them.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

17. JoeDan67

I like Brendan, I'm glad he's our manager infact I think we're lucky he's our manager, but he's made some bad decisions in the CL.

His formation against Barca was terrible and I still can't understand why he thought it would be a good idea to double up on both wings and funnel the 3 Barca forwards TOWARDS the goal.

He should have changed things at half time in the home game against BMG. And he should have been bolder with his team selection last night.

With Toure out Jozo should have played even if that meant resting him last weekend and this weekend. O'Connell is more than good enough to cover for domestic games.

18. Sean Daleer Free Palestine Gold Member

He should have been bolder with his team selection? He started with 4 forwards in an away game! :giggle1:

MagicBallBhoy likes this.
  19. Bhoyyo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Forrest
    Fav Celtic Song:
    jelly & icecream when rangers die
    We so very rarely get points away from home in the CL. The McGregor chance gave us a glimpse of what might have been, but nevertheless, a point away in the CL is a rare and valuable thing for us.

Now we somehow need to win at home to Barcelona, or away to Manchester *, and hope the Broonchamoocha doompledeedoos lose both their remaining games. It's possible! Even if it doesn't happen, we've picked up 2 points in a group that honestly I thought was going to be utterly embarrassing for us this year.

20. Artorias

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Keep fantasizing about that chance falling to Griffiths if he'd been fit...