1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Kris Commons

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by z1c0, Apr 28, 2014.

Discuss Kris Commons in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Clint Eastwood The Good Bad and Ugly of TC

Can we not just rip up his contract? His wages could be put to better use.

2. MagicBallBhoy Gold Member Gold Member

wasn't a favourite of ronnie because we were to be an energetic, running, pressing team and his legs had gone, its the same reason he won't play for brendan in any more than the odd game against the weakest of opposition

3. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    Because Rogic is a very energetic, running, pressing player? Just buzzwords mate, not what we're seeing from that position on the pitch.

How exactly where his legs gone? They were good enough to play on the wing and dominate in Europe in what was an awful team. He wasn't a 'favourite' of Ronny because Ronny was a shocking manager.

Seosamh Máirtín and The IRA like this.
  4. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Janko was given a chance because of lack of other options in his position, the same could be said about Ciftci.

Commons plays in a position that has some of the most competition for places at the club and Rodgers doesn't think he fits the system he wants to play. Commons probably has one contract (at another club) left in his career, and it'll likely be a wage drop, so he'll want to stay on his Celtic wages for as long as possible.

He was even quoted in the summer as saying he wasn't even going to entertain a move until at least January as he wanted to try and work his way into the team.

5. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    CAM midfield doesn't have that much competition, Stuart Armstrong is our back up there.

Random Review likes this.
  6. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    I was thinking along the lines of the beginning of the season, with Johanssen competing for a place their too.

7. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Beginning of the season was the experimentation phase I think, which Commons was injured through. I don't think Rodgers wants to spend the time getting him back up to speed, as he'll be off at the end of the season and he isn't getting any younger.

As it is though, I'd still much rather Commons than Armstrong.

8. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Same. Commons will create you a couple of chances every game, maybe even get an assist or a goal. He just has that instinct. Whereas Armstrong, in my opinion, is liable to go AWOL for large periods.

9. CookieMonster Geez yer cookies Gold Member

Christie should be ahead of Armstrong in that position, surprised he's not been given a run out recently considering what he's shown in short amount of playing time.

Seosamh Máirtín likes this.
  10. Xatraps Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    Personally I wouldn't play him.
    I don't see him as a guy who has a 90 minute pressing game in him. And I accept the irony considering Rogic, Bitton & McGregor have a kind of pseudo press. They look like they're hassling and harrying but it's more a token effort.
    But as I see it right now it's a win/win situation for Brendan.
    Play him & he does well, it's another attacking option, play him & he doesn't impress then stick him in the bin with Efe & Ciftci & the whole 'has he still got something to offer' debate is put to bed.

Although he does well & there's the inevitable contract headache.......

11. TheHappyLoss

He's been great for us. Players all get older and get replaced. Would be nice if he got a few games before he inevitably leaves. Great servant to the club on and off the pitch

12. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    He only has this season left though? He'd have to play out of his skin to win another contract, as an ageing player.

13. z1c0

What good does playing Commons over younger players achieve? None.

We don't need him, he doesn't make us a better team. Ryan Christie however does have the potential to make us a better team.

DutchHoops likes this.
  14. z1c0

The reason why competition in position's is a good thing is because it pushes players to maintain a certain standard. Currently we play a 4-2-3-1, if for whatever reason Rogic is under performing then we move to two upfront. Armstrong and Christie are more than enough in that position, Commons doesn't offer more than them.

15. Xatraps Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    Exactly Minty, hence why I would feel it's a win/win for Brendan.
    Look, don't get me wrong, Commons has been incredible. He was a fantastic bit of business & has performed well enough to be splitting opinion even now at 33 in the last 6 months of his contract which speaks volumes. But in the cold light of day I feel it's time to move on from him. Business decision.
    I felt the same when Bobo was left to see out his contract on the bench, slightly differant situation, but similar enough in that a player who's been immense is not utilised as his contract winds down. Hated not seeing Bobo in the shirt but it's not down to us.

I would let him go in Jan or next summer, whichever suited the player better, but I would involve him more. Especially as he's not going anywhere till at least Jan.

16. Big Boss Gold Member Gold Member

I think this is one of those cases the manager has looked at a player, thinks that he isn't suitable for his style of play and alongside his age and the fact his contract is expiring next year he's decided he's not in his plans. I think with the circumstances his situation isn't exactly unfair - Commons is also perfectly entitled to pick up a wage for nothing in this last year of his contract, a sort of goodwill gesture from us for how he's helped us over the last few years.

He might get a few minutes if we're badly hit with injuries but for now I just see him sitting in the stand for the rest of the season before he goes to some other club in Scotland maybe.

17. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    I reckon his best chance is to get on the bench then come on late in a league game and hopefully make some sort of impact.

18. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Should be but isn't. I don't believe that's because Christie isn't good enough either. Brendan will have his reasons.

19. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Armstrong has never and never will offer more than Commons. That's just mental.

20. CookieMonster Geez yer cookies Gold Member

Yeah there is either a lot of work going on on the training pitch for him or seeing how he reacts in trying to work his way into the team. He'll get his chance sooner or later.